Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Long line at dump station due to people flushing tanks

Just took the maiden voyage of the season to our usual local state park. Admittedly it was a busy weekend there, however the line at the dump station was more aggravatingly slow than normal due to people going though elaborate holding tank rinsing rituals.

I've noticed that holding tank rinse/flush connections, formerly only on higher end RVs, are now showing up on mid-priced models, which may be the cause of the long dump station line.

Has anyone seen signage or some other method discouraging people from rinsing holding tanks when a lot of other people are waiting?

BTW, I am a dump station ninja. I am in and out quick with a record time of around 2 minutes. Therefore, you know it rubs me the long way when I think someone is finished and they start to dump that second gray water tank, or bust out the old garden hose to connect to the holding tank rinse.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm with you Chris. I save the long, slow flush for the full hook-up site where I can take my time. Sometimes, at at dump station, when traffic is unusually lite I might take the time for a little extra flush. We're on the road a lot and will often by-pass a real busy station if I know what the next site will have. The only advice I could offer here is to have something to read handy and sit back. Not much you can do about it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have noticed the same phenomena at the common dump station. I don't know if other campers mean to be inconsiderate or just suffer from cranial rectumitis. We have actually watched other campers complete their dump and go inside their RV to do some straightening up while there are several other campers in line. There are some real jerks in this world.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Keep in mind that a lot of these people got a lecture that went something like:

This is the rinse setup for the tank. You *must* run it for at least 5 minutes for it to be effective. It *must* be run on every flush. If you do not do this the world will end, and your warranty will not cover that event

Even if you put up a sign, you are fighting a very scary thing that "they know is true". The dealer told them it was true .... Just like he told them they needed that 10 year extended warranty package and the "special wax" on the RV ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
These are the same people who pull their boats up to a busy fuel dock and then go in the marina to order a pizza while five other normal boaters wait for fuel.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
When I was a young man, I was a left-lane, on your bumper, screaming white-knuckle machine, blood pressure in the red zone just to get there one minute sooner.

I retired. I got rid of my smartphone. I drive the speed limit. I welcome the local small town grocery line where every customer has a ten minute conversation with the woman at the register.
Whenever you encounter a line, it is the Lord sending you a message. Take this time to look around. Find your inner peace. Enjoy your time on Earth. Smile at the children and the elderly. You can learn from both of them.
And don't go anywhere without a Kindle. And a smile.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you think the state park is crowded, imagine an RV rally with hundreds of folks all leaving Sunday afternoon!
I probably waited an hour, and the site had four dump openings so RV's could be facing both ways.
It was the site of one of my most embarrassing moments. I thought, "These people don't know how it's done, wait until I get there, they'll be dazzled with efficiency."
As luck would have it there was a rain puddle right by my door, so I pulled forward another three feet. That meant my hose was too short, but no problem, I have an extension! When I was dumping the gray tank, the two sections came apart. I had a fire hose of gray water all over the dump station, and four RV's watching.
Without missing a beat, the guy across from me said, "At least it was the gray tank."
I slunk away in shame.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Sorry Guys...

Yeah... I'm one to do the good flush... There are so many complaints about the tank monitors being inaccurate and valves not working properly... though not the only reason, one reason is a dirty tank and sensor/inadequate cleaning... After camping, I am likely to be returning to my styks&bryks, so the trailer will go to the storage space until next use. If I don't clean the tank, I'll be set up for bad readings, valve trouble and a STINKY bathroom. Not gonna happen.

Besides, I paid for a complete flush with my camping fee. I am entitled to it and I'm going to have it. Mind, though, I'm not one to take 15 or 20 minutes for the task... maybe 10 -12 minutes - or until the water is clear. That's really not a lot of time.

Just be patient with me.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Point Pleasant , New Jersey
Now that is funny. Great to be able to throw yourself under the bus.

We are a full hook up kinda family. In three years have used zero dump stations. This summer we are heading to an Army Corp of Engineers park on Lake Lanier in GA. It will be our first foray into limited use of black and grey tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If you think the state park is crowded, imagine an RV rally with hundreds of folks all leaving Sunday afternoon!
I probably waited an hour, and the site had four dump openings so RV's could be facing both ways.
It was the site of one of my most embarrassing moments. I thought, "These people don't know how it's done, wait until I get there, they'll be dazzled with efficiency."
As luck would have it there was a rain puddle right by my door, so I pulled forward another three feet. That meant my hose was too short, but no problem, I have an extension! When I was dumping the gray tank, the two sections came apart. I had a fire hose of gray water all over the dump station, and four RV's watching.
Without missing a beat, the guy across from me said, "At least it was the gray tank."
I slunk away in shame.
thoreau2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Last winter we were at the local dump station in Quartsite when the guy next to us had his snake come loose or blow up at the trailer connection. He was literally up to his ankles in s**t with spray from head to foot. Both him and the dump station wrangler were in there bare handed trying to shut off the flow. It was disgustingly comical. So maybe it’s better to consider that slow and steady wins the race. I wouldn’t want to be the next guy to use the dump after an accident.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
I couldn't care less about people flushing their black tanks. I flush mine, because i found out first hand that if i don't, there's a lot of stuff left over, and I'd rather not let it build up and/or sit there for weeks. It's part of what the dump station is for.

People that straighten up inside for 10 minutes, those are the jerks.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you RV long enough, you will eventually have your own “dump station fail” story to tell.

When I am planning to leave a busy campground, I try to dump late in the day prior, so as to avoid lineups at the dump station.

Maggie
Old 05-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
It’s a dump station. Not fast food. Have a sandwich while your waiting.
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Flush!!!!

We travel for weeks or months at a time and every dump is critical. Flush flush flush for us. We never have an oder and sensors work. Although we have it down to 10-12 min. Longer if there is not a hose connections for the sprayer. The joy of using our AS has its bitter sweet moments. Only if we didn’t have to competed with the crowds.
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've not been in a terrible line or been waiting where folks are obviously flushing. Usually I think folks are cognitive of the line and do their best to minimize their time at the dump station.

I do some practices that optimizes my dump station time. First I make sure the tank is full. That means if the black tank isn't full prior to leaving my site, I will fill it. Secondly I will also fill the gray water tank. Dumping while full leaves very little behind in the tanks. I also add about a couple of toilet bowl dumps of water after the tank is dumped and add my holding tank chemical.

I save the flush for the final campout of the year and at that time I always have a full hookup site. At that point I can flush to my heart's delight. Been trailering for over 30 years and the worst problem I've had is that given enough time, the black water sensors go bad. On the other hand I don't consider that sensor mission critical, and my eyeball can be just as effective on knowing the level of that black tank than any electrical sensor.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #16
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
My 28' Argosy takes 5 minutes to drain the gray tank which is up under the center of the trailer. I have a clear fitting so I can watch it's progress. I originally thought it may be full of years of grease so I had it checked and cleaned and was told it is not vented so will just drain slowly.

The black tank dumps straight down so empties quickly. I have an old 5 gallon water bottle I use to fill up the black tank thru the toilet and stir up the contents before going to the dump station. That cleans it out pretty well without a rinse. I use that bottle only for that and water when I have a camp fire.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
................... and was told it is not vented so will just drain slowly.............

If that were true your kitchen sink wouldn't work. It would go slowly then gasp for air then be real slow. You may not have a vent through the roof it may be a positive vent valve under the sink near the trap. It is vented. Also if the tank wasn't vented it would suck your kitchen sink trap dry when you dump...............and then be vented into the trailer..

Just for the record to earlier posters, if it was me when I go inside at the dump station it is to wash my hands not tidy up.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
When I was a young man, I was a left-lane, on your bumper, screaming white-knuckle machine, blood pressure in the red zone just to get there one minute sooner.

I retired. I got rid of my smartphone. I drive the speed limit. I welcome the local small town grocery line where every customer has a ten minute conversation with the woman at the register.
Whenever you encounter a line, it is the Lord sending you a message. Take this time to look around. Find your inner peace. Enjoy your time on Earth. Smile at the children and the elderly. You can learn from both of them.
Reminds me of a sign I saw lately, "Life is precious, waste it wisely."

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I'm with RJJ. A large majority of the time I stay with full hookups, BUT... if I have to use a dump station, I'm going to do what I need to do at that moment in time. That's what I paid for. I'm not going to have crap baking and building up like glue in my black tank. My average time to dump and flush with full hookups takes between 5 to 10 minutes. I haven't been caught in any big line - probably because I'm an early morning guy. Those who want a "fast lane", get up early or figure out a low use time.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cerrillos , New Mexico
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post

Well said.
highfeather is offline   Reply With Quote