Old 05-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #43

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Gray tanks have been around for over 40 years, black tanks 25 or so even longer than that. When did it become such a huge deal to have a spotless tank?

I was in line at the last campground. 51 sites and one dump. Quick mental math made me realize if half of the folks left on Sunday it would take 4 hours to cycle us thru at only :10 per camper. We usually take about :05.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
My black tank flush nozzle was clogged when I bought the trailer. My previous trailer didn't have one but did have the "auxiliary valve". The PO taught me to dump the black, close the auxiliary valve, open the gray valve and let the gray water flow into the black tank until level equalized. Shut the gray, open the black. Rinse and repeat (no pun intended). On the new (to us) trailer without the auxiliary valve, I discovered that opening the gray valve with the black valve open would also work. So I do that. Seems to work pretty well.

While changing my valves (black valve wouldn't close completely) I pulled the flush nozzle (no fuss flush) and cleaned it out. I'll be the guy flushing in front of you, at least until I decide it doesn't really help. Leaving residue in the tanks is an invitation to valve and sensor trouble. Flushing, like it or not, is a part of the hobby. I don't begrudge anyone for doing the right thing to maintain their equipment but that doesn't include things that could or should be done elsewhere.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
We boondock a lot and on occasion stay at a campground. I'm not sure why but in 3.5 years we have waited on just one camper ahead of us two or three times; all the other times we've been able to dump in peace. Maybe it's because we're strictly out West and maybe it's because we've been working summers with full-hookup and exploring in off-seasons. And maybe it's because we've never been on a schedule.

And in case you're wondering, the nicest dump station we've used is the public station just down the road from the Sawtooth National Recreation Area ranger station - to be able to dump one's load while gazing upon a forested mountain range is one of the great unforeseen pleasures in life.
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Rubber gloves or not, the first thing I think about after dumping is washing my hands with hot soap and water. Usually the closest place to do that is inside my trailer. Iíd just as soon get that done before I get inside my truck and start handling the steering wheel. This is non-negotiable for me, so this is one time that people who donít like me to take the time to do that are just going to have to get over it.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #47
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
A quicker cleaner upper...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clx.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	311110  

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Am I allowed to go into my trailer to get those and put them back, or do I have to keep them in my truck?
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #49
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
There are two types of wipes - the hand wipes and the surface wipes. Two different locations in Walmart. A great tool for RVers. Pat

Where to keep? Where you keep your gloves would be best, but we keep them in the coach and the car. Helps to have a waste recepticle too. Old wipe packaging works well. Just remember to empty from time to time and wipe down all after.

There is another concept. Old guy was asked if he wanted his burger well done or medium. He said rare, cause I work all day up to my elbows in cow stuff. Been immune to that bad stuff since I was a kid. So it's a good idea to build up immunity, or so the old guy believed.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
Just took the maiden voyage of the season to our usual local state park. Admittedly it was a busy weekend there, however the line at the dump station was more aggravatingly slow than normal due to people going though elaborate holding tank rinsing rituals.

I've noticed that holding tank rinse/flush connections, formerly only on higher end RVs, are now showing up on mid-priced models, which may be the cause of the long dump station line.

Has anyone seen signage or some other method discouraging people from rinsing holding tanks when a lot of other people are waiting?

BTW, I am a dump station ninja. I am in and out quick with a record time of around 2 minutes. Therefore, you know it rubs me the long way when I think someone is finished and they start to dump that second gray water tank, or bust out the old garden hose to connect to the holding tank rinse.
Iím sorry that you found this aggravating Chris, I too have hated lines and waiting before. ďBefore what?Ē, you may ask. Before I realized that I had no control over other people, that I was quite literally choosing to make myself miserable, and the fact is, I donít have to. Now I work at relaxing. Iím retired and I have the time. I wonít pretend that there are times I still become frustrated, patience has never been my virtue, but I try to remember that itís unnecessary. Tbh, I donít find dump station ninja to be impressive; there isnít a competition. Relax, chill out. If this is important to you, perhaps finding a different time or day to dump will help you.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Talking

Man, this thread is sure full of crap I love these kind of stories, although ours is mediocre at best, if and when I make that mistake in that movie 'RV', I'll surely will post my story here
It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The importance of that expression doubles in significance if you made the conscious decision to "go without it" and then ended up needing it.
EarStreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:29 AM   #52
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
to flush or rush?

we flush, if we can. we have a system so it goes about as fast as we can go, and try and time our departure, but like most have said, 99% do their best, can't do nothing about it anyway so make the best of it
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:24 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
We are not yet retired and we make it easy on ourselves.

A strict #1 only rule for the toilet in our rig (no paper, nothing else).

Dump black, dump gray. The fill a bucket with 2-3 gallons of fresh water, pour down the toilet, dump. Done.

Takes just a couple of minutes.

We tend to camp at state parks and COE parks that don't have full hookups.

I am sure that once we retire and go on long trips this will change, but for now it seems to be worth the effort to use the campground bathroom first thing in the morning to save 15+ minute at the dump station.

We tend to leave early on Sunday mornings, and usually don't have to wait in line, or have maybe 1 person ahead of us at the ds.

I like the idea of pulling into a recently empty full hook up site to dump there. Will remember that for those types of campgrounds.

If the line were ever really long we would still have to dump before leaving, since we also don't store at home and there is no ds at our storage place.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Agree!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Agree. I'm new and have not used a station, but was told to take your time, think it through and don't feel pressured by a line because everyone has been new and possibly slow at some point AND that everyone in line prefers you get it done without a huge mess. So far, I just used a full hook up site. I just travelled from South carolina to Texas and noticed that several rest stops had dump stations and I only saw one person using them, so thats an option.

Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote