Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
London, Ont. to Clarksdale, Mississippi via Port Huron, Kalamazoo, Chicago, Bloomingt

Anyone with suggestions as to where to stay along (or near) this route during the first weeks of November?

Particularly interested in, and happy to pay for, non-traditional sites - like a Fairgrounds or a State or small town park somewhere. Or behind a red barn, an hour or so outside the big city…….

Water, 30 amp power and a sewer within 120’ would be a nice bonus.

Sergei

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-45.html
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Remember some campgrounds may close for the winter as early as Oct. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Meant route to read London, Ont. to Clarksdale, Mississippi via Port Huron, Kalamazoo, Chicago, Bloomington/Normal, Illinois, St. Louis,Cape Girardeau, Mo and Memphis.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
RV Parks

Hey Joe,

Have relatives in Aylmer, Ontario. Usually travel I75 and the 401 for visits. However, we have stayed at the Paul Wolff Forest Preserve in Elgin, Illinois for our visits to the Chicago area. This is a great county park only a mile or so to the train station for a quick trip into Chicago. We have also had a rally at Cape Camping and RV park in Cape Girardeau. The folks were very accommodating to our group. If you want the basics travel a little further South to Charleston, Mo to Boomland RV Park. This is a full hookup park that uses the honor system for payment. We have stayed here on several occasions and simply leave cash in an envelope on the door. The park is located close to a large truckstop, ez in and out, with typical truckstop grub and trinkets. Have a great trip!
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Small world department Flat Level.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to Zip Dee enroute and they are on the same side of town as Elgin is so that looks good.

Sergei
Old 10-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Too bad you can't just take the I75 all the way, I found it a fabulous route. We even bought the book Along Interstate-75, and found it well worth the twenty or so bucks.

However, for what you're doing, as well as the great recommendations you will get from the folks here, do invest another $20 and get a Woodalls guide. I will never go camping again without it. Great guide, showing all the camps and giving good, clear, honest appraisals and ratings of them all.

When I bought my copy last year, it came with a CD that I just copied to my laptop. The advantage of the CD was that you could plug in the parameters you wanted, the area you're heading to (plus the proximity you will accept), and bingo there are all the available ones.

One parameter is to do with "open all year or not", I forget how they expressed it.

Just get it, you will NOT regret it.

ps: are you going to Jackson Center, too? If you do, say hello to Rhonda at the front desk for me?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Comlara Park, on 39 north just off the I-55/I-74 interchange in Normal, is a nice county park. Inexpensive, electric hookups, water available and a dump station.

If you take 39 south from the park into Normal, then College Avenue east to Veterans Parkway, there are many restaurants, WalMart, Meier, etc., on Veterans Parkway. Good place to re-stock on your way south, and you can pick up 55 again at the south end of the Parkway.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Thanks to you all for the thoughtful leads.

This Forum is a wonderful resource tool.

Any other Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee enroute suggestions gratefully received.

Sergei
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
If possible, keep us posted of you progress....

Ya never know when a 'stream member might be in the area...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
After growing up in the MS delta (Cleveland MS), I recommend not stopping in MS.
tschat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschat View Post
After growing up in the MS delta (Cleveland MS), I recommend not stopping in MS.
Oh, come on, now! Mississippi is full of history and has beautiful areas---I agree that the Delta is not the most scenic, however. Kind of like where we live in central Illinois, all flat and boring.

The Natchez Trace is beautiful, as are the cities of Natchez and Vicksburg--full of splendid old homes and southern charm.

Maggie
Old 11-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Our stumbled upon route thus far:

Port Huron, Michigan. Beautiful Pine Grove Park on the main street, along the waterway. Good to visit the unique RAVEN Coffee House again. No one to bother us. A friendly local dentist on his way to work detoured past us, attracted by the rig.

Owasso. The Airstream dealer is no more. Parked on the Meijer lot. No one bothered us and the Meijer gas station manager helped us fill the water tank in the morning.

Fenton, Michigan at a Panera Bread location. All of these overnights without permission but again a friendly send off by the Panera manager at breakfast.

The last two nights at the Kalamazoo County Fairgrounds. These folks are set up to service several hundred visitors at a time. 20 and 30 amp service, water and dump stations. $15. Water off at this time of year but staff filled the tank at the Expo Center.

So far it's been pleasantly non traditional.

Sergei
Old 11-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Sergei..Glad to hear that you are not freezing. On your way to Zip Dee...?? They will let you park there overnight.... they are near the airport. We are in Texas now. Travel safe
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Zip Dee wouldn't let me ship a parcel there in my name so I'm glad to hear that they may not be the first to allow me overnight parking.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Zip Dee wouldn't let me ship a parcel there in my name so I'm glad to hear that they may not be the first to allow me overnight parking.

Zip Dee let us overnight in their parking lot when we had a new awning installed last year. We're a couple of hours south of Chicago. We drove up on a Sunday night before our appointment so we wouldn't have to fight Chicago traffic on a Monday morning. We had an electric hook-up. It was a great experience and we were very pleased with the service and continue to be pleased with our awning.

If you want a taste of the local flavors, there is a Lou Malnati's Pizzeria close by. Elk Grove Village Lou Malnati's Pizzeria - Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza

Nancy (maccamper's mrs.)
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote