Old 02-24-2016, 10:47 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
When you have an issue with a lock, any lock, there is no substitute for a professional locksmith - even when "it's just a key." When it comes to a key (of all things), you want results, not a bargain.

FYI, that Home Depot employee is nothing more than a clerk. As a consequence, his key-cutting knowledge is limited and/or otherwise restricted. Moreover, he must also abide by company policy, whether real or "fabricated." The same maxim allies for Ace Hdwe and other stores like it.

Always assume there's a good chance that clerk doesn't want to be bothered with key cutting. And as for that "company policy" line, it's nothing more than lip service to make you go away.

TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Originally Posted by jami20 View Post
I had problems with getting extra keys for my trailer. I ended up calling Trimark and gave them the number from my keys. They cut the correct keys at their factory and had 4 sets of both locks at my house within a week. I believe it cost me about $30 for the 4 sets, including shipping.
+1 for going straight to Trimark

It is relatively expensive as they have a minimum order amount. Since they cut the key by code, you avoid the problems of hit or miss matching and duplicating at a hardware or big box store. A guaranteed dead on match.

Make sure you browse through their catalog to specify the key head design you prefer, when calling in your order. They don't necessarily know what your key head looks like, even if you tell them it's for an Airstream

greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We had spares made. Purchased key blanks from dealer and had them cut at key shop that has been in business as long as we can remember. Thanks for posting the issue. Never would have expected this to be a problem. Pat
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Vian , Oklahoma
After several attempts to find someone to make a set, I ordered a couple of sets of blanks from AS. They cost me $27 and then
my local Ace man cut both sets for a Coconut Pie.
Okie 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The metal composition of a customer's blanks could ruin some cutters designed for only aluminum keys. I found a chap in Mesa that cuts my Airstream door blanks as well as making the ubiquitous 705 keys for the water hatches and other RV related hatches from his blanks.

Like the Honda GoldWing keys, not everyone has the correct blanks that may have the proper shape for the notches but is not a long enough shank to operate the lock.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have a key vault screwed to the floor just inside the outside refrigerator compartment. I picked a code I could easily punch in by feel so that I don't need light. My extra set of keys is hooked to the vault door so that I never forget to put the spare keys back in the vault.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
gainesville , Virginia
"Do not duplicate" on a key means absolutely nothing. Should you have certain brands (i.e., medeco) locks/keys, they 'should' not be reproduced without a 'proper' ID -- including a credit-card-type ID and a 'legal' photo ID. Otherwise, there is NO legal prohibition from copying a key for legal reasons, even if it says "do not duplicate." Lock picking tools without a locksmith business or other legal reason is very often a felony, but I could show you how to open most AS locks with a shower hook and a piece of a pop-top -- but I probably won't.

Carry On!
GEEEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
Saint Joseph , Michigan
Our AS salesman mentioned one of the things we should be careful NOT to do, was shut the door with the door-lock, locked and the key inside. Kinda a nightmare to break into an AS trying not to damage it too much. First thing we did was make two sets of keys hiding one in the truck which has a pin-open door. We had no problem as we have a great ol time lock smith in town. What I would like, is if anyone has a solution/fix, other then removing the door lock, for this real problem. We loaned the camper to #2 son for a wedding camp-out and I put the fear of god into him re the door thing. PS AS was a hit at the wedding, he could have sold six.
TruckerFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Originally Posted by Captain Hank View Post
I found a traditional hardware store, with the old style key copy machine. They cut my keys for $1. If you are at the factory and buy a key blank, there is a hardware store in downtown Jackson Center that will cut it for free.
He is an AS retiree. When I needed to get keys for my '87 Excella, he told me his was the designer of its electrical system.
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Thanks, everyone, looks like it's Ace Hardware for me. I've used them in the past and they've always had what I needed, especially hard to find hardware items.

I have nothing against mobile locksmiths, but usually they want to come to you and I have AAA if I get locked out of the car. They can send someone, although I haven't locked my keys in my car since I was 17 I learned to hold my car keys in my hand before locking the door, or use the key to lock it.

What I thought was going to be a simple process, even getting the right blanks beforehand, turned into a not so much fun exercise for us.

Ace is the place....

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Strange. I bought blanks from the AS web site and took them to True Value. No problem <$5 for two.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #26
Lovin' the Mountains
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Pine , Colorado
Trimark also has a site on E-Bay. Send them your key code and they will send back a finished product - for a charge of course.
tomsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
True Value, True Quality

So I took my key blanks over to Ace this afternoon, very friendly folk. I asked them if they had any policy about cutting my blanks and they said the only thing was they wouldn't be held responsible if the key didn't work, nor would they cut a 'do not duplicate' key, but they'd be happy to cut them. I had 2 sets of door keys and they cut all 4, charged me $3.96.

They also ran the key I got from the locksmith through the cutter. He said he could feel it lightly cut a few places on the key. We both looked at that key 6 ways from Sunday and they looked identical.

When I got home I tried them all. The 4 Tri Mark keys worked perfectly, just like the orginals. Woo Hoo!

I tried the locksmith key again; no joy. I swear I can't see ANYTHING on that key that doesn't match the original or one of the new Tri Mark keys that work. I put the bottom of the keys side by side on a flat edge and everything lines up. It fits easily into the lock but it won't turn for love or money.

Bottom line: If you have Tri Mark blanks, Ace is the place with the helpful, hardware, store. I now have 4 1/2 sets of door keys, all extras are in the TV glove box.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
"True Value, True Quality
So I took my key blanks over to Ace this afternoon, very friendly folk."

My friend who owns an Ace hardware store would be upset that you use True Value Hardware and Ace Hardware as interchangeable stores.

Each thinks they are superior to the other! I think they are both good, and hope my Ace friend does not see

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote