Old 08-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
Yep!

Happened to us years ago (just after we got the trailer) on a very cold Sunday morning as everyone was leaving a rally. We awoke late and took the doggies out in the cold wind. Oh, no...! RATS!

Only two of us left on the field and the other guy had a wire coat hanger, thankfully. Snagged the latches on the left, rear window, borrowed a step ladder from the park, carefully pushed the screen out of the channel and climbed in.

Live and learn

BTW, it's never the dead bolt - that's why it's called "dead".... it doesn't have a spring. It's the upper spring latch that can flip fully over center if it's slightly towards the center when the door closes.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I purchased a one owner 2002 Classic n 2010 and the first thing I did was make 2 full extra sets and 2 sets of just the front door locks. However, I noticed that inside were 3 locks, the 2 key locks and then a dead bolt. On one rally in Texas, I found that dead bolt had locked itself with no key that would unlock it. I was in a quandary as to how to get the door unlocked, when a martini drinking neighbor reminded me that I could go in the rear storage and up through the bed. I wasn't small enough but a skinny rally guy did just that. Now that dead bolt is taped open, so no more of that nonsense.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I have been locked out of two different Airstreams. The Bambi was first and my small wife was able to climb through the storage door and into the unit.'
Second time was in a 25" Safari and we hd to call a locksmith. Locksmiths cannot open the Airstream lock. We had to drive home to get second set of keys.
We solved the problem by always having keys available outside of the unit. I keep my toolbox in the rear storage with an extra set of keys.
We never go outside of the unit without expecting it to lock itself.
I called the factory and they said they knew nothing about this problem.
I have owned 4 Airstreams and 2 of the 4 locked themselves. That is 50%.
Have a set of keys hidden somewhere.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #46

2016 28' International
Austin , Texas
I wish I had seen this thread last week! I got locked out of my trailer on Monday, here in Chula Vista, CA. Everything was inside: my keys, my phone, my purse. I didn't even know the door could lock behind me! I thought it required a key, so I didn't have extra keys anywhere outside. I travel by myself in my 2016 Airstream. I went outside to open up the sewage dump at about 6:30 last Monday night and was shocked when I couldn't get back in. I used a neighbor's cell phone to call a locksmith. It took an hour for him to get to the park. He was unable to pick the lock. He said the last resort was to make a new key, and called his boss to give him the numbers off the lock, but his boss said he didn't have the right key for it. He was going to leave, but wanted me to pay him $125 for his efforts first. When I told him I couldn't because everything was inside the trailer, he got motivated to figure something out. Thank goodness, because I didn't know anybody in this park, it doesn't have onside management, it's just basically a mobile home park with a few RV spaces. I was imagining how I would end up sleeping on a park bench somewhere. The locksmith ended up using the inflatable air bags to open up a side window just enough for a tool to reach in and pull of the handles like they do in cars. Whew. $185 for the service call. Went and got a locksafe the next morning, and hung it inside the box with the propane tanks.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1987 33' Argosy
Campbellsville , Kentucky
We got locked INSIDE our '87 Squarestream when a part inside the original door handle broke. I had to crawl out of our emergency window (oh, boy, was that ever scary!) and with hubby on the inside and me on the outside, we somehow managed to get the slide open, mostly by hubby disassembling said locking device. It took us a LONG time to get the slide moved so the door would open.

Then we spent over a month trying to find a replacement lock. We visited all sorts of lock shops, Airstream dealerships, and searched online. Apparently the door mechanism we have hasn't been made since the late 80's, and the replacements are the wrong size for our door.

We finally took the broken piece to a welder and had it welded back together and the weld ground down so the part would fit again. We did not have a key to that lock, only to the dead bolt, and we did not know at the time that those locks had any inclination of locking themselves. Hubby did, however, disable the locking mechanism, leaving only the handles functioning, as he reasoned that it was possible for the thing to lock and since we had no key, we'd be unable to resolve that issue. Reading this thread and realizing what could have happened before the piece inside broke, I was horrified and thankful at the same time.

Now the only thing I would change about our trailer is the single door. I wish we had that second door that came on some of the units like ours, but I've only ever sighted one and that on the internet in another state.

87 Argosy 33 F since April 2010
CCGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I leave the key in the door until going inside at night or leaving the campground.
Just be sure not to let the door fully open to the point where the key in the lock damages the side panel of your Airstream.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Also, if you close the door while the deadbolt is in the locked position it can bend the bolt, making locking and unlocking very difficult or impossible even if you have the key. Ask me how I know!
Old 08-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
When we started camping with our 2 kids, I gave each a set of keys, my wife a set, put a set in the TV, one in the kitchen and one in my tool box. We never got locked out but oddly enough, I got locked in one time with our 90 lb dog. The old Bargman lock set has a slide bolt with two tangs on the end and a cam that pushes one tang to open from the inside and the other tang from the outside. One of the tangs broke off after about 46 years of use and I had to climb out the back window. The door opened ok from the outside so I removed the lock, tied the door shut with a bungee and towed it home. $95 later a local machine shop produced a new slide bolt for us.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #51
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Happens in our old Airstream Cutter to so I guess it is a basic design defect that Airstream is too inconsiderate or too incompetent to fix.
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #52

2005 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , LaLaLand
Locked out on New Years Eve

Our Bambi did it to us on New Years Eve, in the mountains, no cell service, 32 degrees and falling at 11pm. The campground was empty except for us and an old camp host who let us use his office land line, but AAA couldn't come until the next morning, and would only open the tow vehicle, not Bambi. All our spares were in Bambi. We tried every key the camp host had in an old coffee can. Nothing worked. Finally after midnight, we put a plastic tarp on the ground, lifted the front window's plexi rock guard, and broke the large flat window with one of our tow bars. Then we could reach the lock with a long pole and slide it into the open position. Ya-dah! We're in. An hour of cleanup (so our dog wouldn't get glass in his toes) and putting tape around the plexi edges to keep the cold out, then finally sleep. In the morning, more glass clean up inside and out. ... We still find a piece of glass occasionally, but we always follow the New Years Resolution we made that night:

Always have spare keys on each of us, in hiding, and in the tow vehicle!
Old 08-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
It is easy for your hand to hit the locking latch on the inside door handle as you close the door. Happened to me. Now hide keys in refrigerator access compartment. Unable to get spare set of keys ...... Locksmith says key blanks not available.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
As a followup to my situation, I finally ended up getting key blanks from AS and taking them to my local locksmith. He cut the keys for free and they work perfectly. My "one key dilemma" is solved!
Old 08-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolson View Post
It is easy for your hand to hit the locking latch on the inside door handle as you close the door. Happened to me. Now hide keys in refrigerator access compartment. Unable to get spare set of keys ...... Locksmith says key blanks not available.
Try this source:

https://store.airstream.com/product/...-2009-present/

These deadbolt blanks were shorter than our OEM originals, but they worked fine (and fit in my pockets better!). We only use the deadbolt, but have spares hidden in the tow vehicle (digital access keypad) and at home.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
Just be sure not to let the door fully open to the point where the key in the lock damages the side panel of your Airstream.
Ditto -- this is the one rule we follow all the time -- never leave a key in the door, for just this reason.