Old 08-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
We have a dead bolt separate from the knob lock . I put a screw in the assy to prevent the lock assy from working. We only use the dead bolt. This came about from the door self locking on our 86 32 we used to have. Had a twist knob inside and key outside.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #30
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGeo View Post
They have the blanks and when they cut the keys they look right on - but when I put them in the lock they just won't turn.
I believe you have the Trimark lock on your door. The Trimark key blanks are unusual, and many less knowledgeable locksmiths will use one that is "close" resulting in the problem you describe.

Better locksmiths will have the correct blank, or you can get blanks from an Airstream dealer. Out-of-doors mart has them and will ship them to you. They are not expensive.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
It's been a few years, but I was able to order cut keys on Ebay. i.e. not key blanks, but keys cut from the code on my original set. Might be worth contacting this fella with your key codes to see if he's still in that business:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/swanyriver1
Old 08-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Joliet , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagues View Post
It's been a few years, but I was able to order cut keys on Ebay. i.e. not key blanks, but keys cut from the code on my original set. Might be worth contacting this fella with your key codes to see if he's still in that business:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/swanyriver1
Wow! Giving some random guy on the internet your key code AND your address. Please find a local locksmith.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #33
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have ordered eBay keys and never lost a minutes sleep about the locksmith coming to rip me off.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
So when the door locks accidentally, is it the deadbolt or the upper door lock?

Mike
Old 08-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGeo View Post
All of this advice sounds good, but I have only one key for the door of our 2004 Safari and although I've gone to hardware stores, locksmiths, online, etc. nobody can make a duplicate that works. Any ideas?
I was able to pick up blanks for everything for my 04 Safari from the Airstream dealer in Seattle and hand them cut at a local locksmith....... right after I managed to lock myself out
Old 08-02-2016, 03:56 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bel73 View Post
Wow! Giving some random guy on the internet your key code AND your address. Please find a local locksmith.
Are you suggesting that he spent 17 years on ebay just waiting to lure in a sucker like me, so now he can drive down from Minnesota any time to steal my towels and dishes?!
Old 08-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
So when the door locks accidentally, is it the deadbolt or the upper door lock?

Mike
I've read back thru this and other locked out themed threads, and haven't seen one lock or the other ID'd. Can anyone answer this?

I presume it isn't possible for both to accidentally lock?

Thanks

Bob
Old 08-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
In my case, it was not the deadbolt.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
In my case, it was not the deadbolt.
The time I did it, it was not the dead bolt either.

Suspect I either accidentally slide the locking slide when exiting.... or my service dog who was in the trailer at the time decided to try and open it to see what I was doing outside by pawing the door lever (Which is how he has been trained to open doors with levers) and in doing so slid his paw over the sliding lock. The later is possible but not likely as he has never attempted to open a door without being asked to do so before or since.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Great thanks SteveSueMac & NorthernGirl. It was hard to visualize how a DB could slide over on it's own but easy to see how the latch slide could.

Seems I read in the forums (somewhere) that someone when in camp, had cut a small section of foam (such as from some pipe insulation or maybe ensolite pad) and inserted it into the "slide opening" of the latch on the inside, then used the DB as security when they left. He would then remove it for the road and double lock with keys as usual.

I got the kit from AS dealer on So Cal but haven't installed it as looking in thru the slot and reading the instruction schematic, it appears our '14 already has the additional felt.

Meantime, I think I'll make arrangements with Trimark for a few more sets.

Bob
Old 08-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
I've read back thru this and other locked out themed threads, and haven't seen one lock or the other ID'd. Can anyone answer this?

I presume it isn't possible for both to accidentally lock?

Thanks

Bob
For me it was the upper lock by the handle. It's very easy to hit that little slide with a finger when you use the handle to open the door. It's happened a couple of times but so far I've noticed it before closing the door. I usually have my keys with me but I keep a spare set in the TV.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I believe you have the Trimark lock on your door. The Trimark key blanks are unusual, and many less knowledgeable locksmiths will use one that is "close" resulting in the problem you describe.

Better locksmiths will have the correct blank, or you can get blanks from an Airstream dealer. Out-of-doors mart has them and will ship them to you. They are not expensive.
This spring I was in Kissimmee, FL and I ordered the blanks. I went to a locksmith and he refused to use my blanks, had a big sign on the wall, wasn't very nice about it. He used his own blanks and 1 of 2 worked. I took my blanks to White's Ace Hardware in Davenport and they cut both keys, worked perfectly. They looked at the one from the locksmith, put it on their machine to see if it had some burrs on it, no luck.

So if you have your own blanks I suggest Ace or True Value hardware stores. Nice folk, good prices, no bad attitude.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote