Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Living with a bench-style sofa and dinette for extended sitting ?

I know that Airstream offers a couple of 30' models with a recliner option.

But, all other Airstreams, particularly those under 30', come with seating either on a bench-style sofa (which is not nearly like a residential living room sofa) or bench-style seating at the dinette.

Considering this, it seems to us that "hanging out" in an Airstream for hours on end, as one would regularly do when using the RV for weeks (or more) at a time, with just those two seating options, could become uncomfortable quickly.

Granted, many folks will sit out side on camp chairs much of the time and that offers some sitting relief. But for those who might spend a good bit of time sitting in the Airstream, whether it be during very hot, cold, or rainy weather, or for an evening relaxing, watching TV, surfing the web, or reading... do you truly find the basic, bench-like sofas to be perfectly comfortable for several hours at a time?

We're just interested in hearing how you folks honestly feel about the sitting comfort in Airstreams that cannot accommodate recliners, where you have the choice of the upright bench style sofa, a similar sitting style in the dinette, or sitting outside in some form of camp chair. Are you perfectly content with this?

I should mention that we are older, retired, and do spend a fair amount of time sitting these days.

Your thoughts are much appreciated. Thank you.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
One word: "Recliners"

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We are on our third AS, in the first two a 25' and a 30' I converted both to recliners and then when sold put back to factory. In the 25' a dinette up front and in the 30' a couch set up. Both very uncomfortable for long periods of time. The recliners for us are the way to do as we do spend a lot of time inside the AS when on extended trips either reading or watching TV.

The take out and install is really easy, even to the extent of re-routing the ductwork as I had to do in the 25'. The heating duct is a pliable hose so I simply collapsed it a bit and remounted it into a new side I made for the window seat I left in on the 25' model. We used Stressless chairs in the 25' and some type of 2" wall hunger recliners in the 30'. I've often thought about a recliner sofa in a 30' but we ordered a new 2015 with factory recliners in it. They are nice, a bit firm right now but will probably break in with time. If not I may go the recliner love seat route, if my wife lets me. She is a bit tired of renovations. I bought a new 38' motorhome and re-did the living area in that from couch to recliners and then back when we sold it, that involved taking windows out etc. Bit of a project.

A shortened version of this - we intensely dislike the lack of comfort in any factory supplied seating arrangement supplied by AS except for the recliner option.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
For these retired folks the bench seats quickly became unbearable discomfort. We put in recliners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5724.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	236882  
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Doug, those chairs look very comfortable.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am thinking that this might make a good trailer chair if it is strong enough to handle the motion and vibration of travel.

Amazon.com - Coaster Swivel Recliner in Beige Leatherette - Small Recliner

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Michael... it seems from the reviews on that chair that the quality is probably poor. Of course, the price is very low, which sort of coincides with that.

When it comes to Euro chairs, I think getting great quality comes with a pretty steep price... Ekornes.

We have decided to go with Best Furniture "Picot" swivel, rocker, recliners. They're compact (about 32.5" wide), made in America (great quality), and while not inexpensive, they're not terribly expensive either. Most importantly, they are exceptionally comfortable! Available in cloth, pleather, or real leather. We paid about $640 per chair with real leather. We've used them extensively in our motorhome for 3 1/2 years and with the switch to Airstream are going to use them on our patio at home. We just ordered a second pair of them in black leather to go in the Airstream (a 30FC Recliner model, ordered without the recliners/floor hardware.)

Old 04-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
My experience with my 2012 28' Intl CCD in terms of seating was that the L seat sofa was intolerably uncomfortable. I am not a big guy, but after sitting on it for about 30 minutes you needed to relocate. The foam is thin and provides little support -- you are soon sitting on the plywood. The dinette was pretty much the same. Also, the L seat was either a bit too wide or a bit too high (it pulls out and makes into a bed). I ended up ripping it out and putting in recliners. Wonderful! I have a new Classic. Airstream doesn't make the furniture, Villa does. Villa makes fairly high-end upholstered stuff for RV's, and it is VERY comfortable. The Classic has a sofa with electric recliners on either end. The center section has a pull down that makes into a convenient table. The dinette is also Villa, and it too is very comfortable. My impression is that the the stock Airstream furniture looks better than it sits. Of course, most of the time you're not "living" inside. But if it's rainy or you want to hang out inside, then more comfortable seating works. Some owners have changed out the foam...with better quality stuff and are very pleased with the change.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
Silverdale , Washington
My wife Carrie and I just replaced our bench sofa and installed a U-shaped dinette which can seat 6 people (8 with additional chairs). The table is two sections creating a 30" x 50" table that lowers independently for sleeping. Seating pads utilize 4 inch dense foam for comfort. We have just completed this installation and have yet to go camping with. We will within the next 3 weeks. Sleeping area has been greatly upgraded and much more comfortable.

Roger Berger
rcberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
a comfortable place to sit was a major shopping objective. it seemed as though the various trailer we examined had made the seating areas out of way too hard of a foam material making them extremely uncomfortable. that is one reason we leaned toward the, supposed, 25' Arctic Fox. it had two recliners and basically the same floor plan as the 25' AS. unfortunately, the AF was actually 30' long.

but, when we sat on the ultra leather couch and the dinette, we realized that the AS has a much kinder foam material in their sitting areas. we simply added a foot stool which we both use in the evening time, reading or playing cards, and we are both happy campers. neither one of us is large in circumference or height so maybe that is the difference here. i realize i could change out the dinette as pictured above, but to date i have found no reason to do so.

if you have a mind to make this change, i would suggest you sit in an IKEA lounge chair, $179, before you spend thousands on a stressless. we have both here at home and i am always sitting in the IKEA chair, way more comfortable.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
For these retired folks the bench seats quickly became unbearable discomfort. We put in recliners.
Do you have the FB or RB? Very interested in this mod. What did you have to relocate?

Thanks in advance;

Mike
marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by marter View Post
Do you have the FB or RB? Very interested in this mod. What did you have to relocate?

Thanks in advance;

Mike
Our recliner mod will only fit in the 25 RB because the furnace is under/behind the sink, rather than on the street side where we have now have a recliner, folding table, and storage cabinet.

Nothing had to be relocated, we removed the factory bench seating and had Airstream Service Center in Ohio install the table, center console, and fabricate the storage cabinet to match the Flying Cloud interior. The recliners are Villa, the same ones used by Airstream.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
you can easily install a single recliner in a 25FB by simply removing the curb side seat and storage drawer. this assembly is held in place by 4 screws.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
you can easily install a single recliner in a 25FB by simply removing the curb side seat and storage drawer. this assembly is held in place by 4 screws.
Nice!

How about installing another recliner on the other side of the dinette... what would that require?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #15

2015 25' FB International
evanston , Illinois
What we do in our 25 fb international is put the table down each evening and make the sofa and dining area into a big sectional sofa...very comfortable for two people to watch tv or read. Each of us has our own place to stretch out. Very easy to take down and put back.
Cheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Does the fold-out table that is provided in the recliner models get much use?

I noticed that they don't provide it in the new Classic (with the electric semi-recliner sofa feature) and we're thinking we should NOT have this fold-out table installed in our 2016 30' Serenity/Recliner model. We don't think we would use it - especially since the dinette is there as well.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Nice!

How about installing another recliner on the other side of the dinette... what would that require?

now you are dealing with the furnace and ducting. i suspect that might be a larger problem that is probably not worth the effort.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
now you are dealing with the furnace and ducting. i suspect that might be a larger problem that is probably not worth the effort.
Yes, some relocation of utilities would probably be required. That's unfortunate.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
No "Recliner" models will be offered for 2016

Just received word from Airstream today that no "recliner" models will be offered for 2016.

No doubt, this is because relatively few "recliner models" were ordered by dealers/customers.

Judging from the number of folks who have remodeled/removed sofas or dinettes to install recliners, it appears that there is, indeed, a noteworthy demand for recliners in Airstreams! (People who have discovered from direct experience that the bench sofa seating is quite uncomfortable after 15-30 minutes.)

But it would seem that most customers don't KNOW that they want recliners until they have lived with a bench sofa for a time, and then realize that the bench sofas are quite uncomfortable for sitting beyond about 15 to 20 minutes. Same goes with the dinette benches. They're fine for short term sitting, eating a meal, having a cocktail. Much beyond that, the body is crying out for much more comfortable long-term sitting.

The desire for retaining extra sleeping accommodations no doubt keeps some Airstream owners from replacing a sofa or a dinette with recliners. But for a lot of Airstreamers, there is little-to-no need for having the additional sleeping accommodations made possible by the sofa or dinette.

I'm disappointed that Airstream has decided to discontinue trailers with the recliner option, but am hoping that JC will at least be open to providing custom-ordered trailers without a sofa (or a dinette) for those new buyers who know right-up-front that they will be installing their own recliners in newly-ordered coaches. (That's me!)
Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #20
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
If you're buying new, find a good dealer who also does custom furniture for Airstreams. I met a couple at Alumapalooza last year with a new FC25 - but the floorplan was nothing available from the factory. Their seating area was all custom, and it was a great match with the rest of the interior. The dealer they bought from was Woodland RV in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I don't have "first hand" experience to share, but I thought the "second hand" info. may be of use to you.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote