Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
I'm surprised that the 'powers-that-be' haven't invested more time promoting bio-diesel. You can grow all you want in the form of seed-to-oil, Archer/Daniels/Midland already has the processing capacity, our farmers won't need to get paid subsidies to grow nothing, and we can tell the A-rabs to keep their dino oils. It seems like a no-brainer to me.

A-n-d.........the engine technology already exists!!! Soooooooo, what's the problem????
Brazil has been running on eco-fuel technology for years. I saw a special on PBS about it back last month. The cost of the eco-based fuels was about half of that of dino juice. They also stated that the cars performed better on the eco-based fuels, getting better mileage and pumping out more horsepower. This is what the documentary reported. I am no expert about this stuff. I only know how to assemble brand new engines and transmissions in 500,000 sq. ft. facilities!
I think it is "all about the Benjamins". Shell, Exxon, etc... will make the stuff as long as they get rich doing it.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
and the engines last longer running cleaner?

photography
Old 02-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I don't want to find myself having to stop motoring or caught short for a free or little cost option.
Carol,
You will be fine as long as you do not have to drive through any round-abouts, (traffic circles), AKA "the circle of death" to Carol!
Also, once they legalize driving on sidewalks you will be completely legal then!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The Danish Connection. . .

E85 fuel is 5% to 12% less efficient than gasoline. It sells for 50 to 60 cents/gal less than gasoline. I think that's an acceptable economic decision. There are over 200 stations selling E85 in Minnesota.

The future for E85 is biomass conversion, using corn stover, woodchips, or cereal stalks. The problem is how to 'open up' the cellulose in these materials so it can be converted to fermentable sugars. The current method is very energy intensive.

The more efficient method would be an enzymatic process to break down cellulose. There are two companies that control 90% of the world market in enzymes.

Both are in Denmark.

Think about that the next time you see an oil rich, middle eastern country banning Danish imports.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Carol,
You will be fine as long as you do not have to drive through any round-abouts, (traffic circles), AKA "the circle of death" to Carol!
Also, once they legalize driving on sidewalks you will be completely legal then!
ARGHHH Lou, I forgot that! Please send a car to pick me up for your Metro Detroit forum get-together. I swear I could have gone round and round that "circle of death" by your house but instead I was forced off and shot through the wrong exit how many times? LOL It's a cross between the autobahn and a motor driven vehicle revolving door. I am still having nightmares!

photography
Old 02-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #26
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Check out my link in Post #2. There is a link on that site to find locations that sell the E85 blend broken down by state.
I did. it says "not available anywhere in the NE".

why do you suppose that is???
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Old 02-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #27
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

It's because of Teddy Kennedy's long term opposition to ethanol and the companies like ADM that produce it.

Why he is so opposed to ethanol?

Is it because fuel ethanol has 5% gasoline added to it, to make it undrinkable?

He prefers his ethanol mixed with vermouth, not gasoline.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #28
_

. , .
i love how some threads.......
are just destined to decline....
mention anything to do with dinosaurs (dna, oil, gm, elected officals)....well....

the locations for white lightin' fuel are mostly midwestern......hello?
where is the corn? sure there are political issues....corn IS politics...

the neat thing about expanding ethanol production to using other cellulose options.....
is getting away from this being a farmers issue...to more a national topic.....

we can drive on trash and compost!!!.....and fryer oil is already headed to the mainstream....

biod. is good, clean d. is good and so on....but cleaner? depends on how dirt is defined.....

e85 in big tow type vehicles?
...well that's a smoke screen from gm to keep the suv craze goin.........

if you believe in green house gasses.......
driving a suv on e85 will actually produce MORE co2....since more gallons will be consumed from point a to point b.....
it's fine in a small hybird as part of a ecco/commuter package....
towing.......nahhhhhhhhhhh.

so low sulfur diesel may be a better choice.....unless you consider nitrogen byproducts...

clearly the diesel motor will be more durable and pull better....
and if you really are worried about a shortage....
get a diesel....it already IS a flexi fuel motor.....

all combustible fuel sources are converted into something else....
and each variety of poo.....
brings some issue....

carol if you really want to make an informed choice for a new t.v. you will need to look way beyond any of the marketing crap (green2yellow) gm or the other energy producing/consuming companies offer...

do you really want to take advice from a company that lost bazillions on its major product, every year?

now, if you're interested in borrowing money....
consult gm on this topic....
their loan/banking divisions are the only company segments that show any profit....for many years past...

see, gm really is in the GREEN business....

hey markdoane....
does than danish enzyme connection have anything to do with dannon yogurt?

cheers
2air'
Old 02-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Get a cornulator!

Available on the GM 'Live Green - Go Yellow' website.

The Cornulator calculates how many barrels of oil you will save buy switching to E85 fuel.

That's interesting, but I really got a chuckle when the Cornulator told me the equivalent number of corn cobs used to make the ethanol.

http://www.gm.com/company/onlygm/

(click on the orange bar, MSN might block the pop-up)
Old 02-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #30
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hey markdoane....
does than danish enzyme connection have anything to do with dannon yogurt?
2air'
The largest enzyme producers in the world are Novozyme,
http://www.novozymes.com/cgi-bin/bvi...ss.jsp?lang=en

and Genencor, a US joint venture by Danisco and Corning.
http://www.genencor.com/wt/home

Danisco has recently bought out the Corning shares. Danisco is Danish.

The Danes have always been leaders in food technology and especially dairy science.

Despite that, Dannon yogurt is part of Groupe Danone, a French company.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
excert tonight on MSNBC

Energy analysts said ethanol reduces some oil use. But there have been conflicting studies about whether more energy is used to grow corn and produce ethanol than it provides as a fuel. Electricity — typically produced from natural gas or coal — is needed to operate ethanol plants, for instance, and farm equipment uses petroleum products.

Tad W. Patzek, a professor of geo-engineering at the University of California at Berkeley, said ethanol production uses far more energy than making gasoline and releases more greenhouse gases, which have been linked to global warming. He co-authored a study last year that said corn ethanol requires 29 percent more energy to make than it produces.

The industry disputes Patzek's conclusions, saying the making of ethanol is cleaner and more environmentally friendly than gasoline production.
Environmentalists have not been sold on ethanol. "The greatest thing to recommend it is that it's not gasoline," said David Hamilton, director of the Sierra Club's global warming and energy program. "What is oil dependence worth versus a very high amount of energy it takes to make?" Still, he said cellulosic ethanol holds more promise than corn-based ethanol.

photography
Old 02-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

Something sure seems fishy with that for sure.
Closed Thread