Old 12-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #15
72 Argosy 24
1973 24' Argosy 24
McComb , Mississippi
LOL, Wow!! Obviously no one here really know Little Rock at all. But each to his own.

tkchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Please note that the date of this thread was in August of 2003. Sounds like you have some positive thoughts regarding Little Rock.
Would you care to share them?
How are the Highways now?
Maybe 2006 is a good year to see what Little Rock has to offer. The adivce I got in 2003 resulted in an excellent vacation to Natchez, MS and the Louisiana plantations.

AccessMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Second thoughts

I spent a couple of days in LR this summer and, while I still hate the daily traffic jams, I appreciate the place a lot more than before. We went to the Clinton Library, the Market, and had a good home-cooked dinner at a restaurant the hosts at the RV park recmmended.

We stayed in a great COE park on the river a few miles east of the city with easy access. I don't remember the name, but I recommended the park in the campgrounds area of this forum. Big trees and river at every site.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:33 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Searching back through this older thread I found a few recommendations for Buffalo National River in northern Arkansas - we will be traveling there for a week-long vacation in mid May. Any recommendations for places to either

1) Fish for catfish or bass
2) Hike
3) Eat/drink
4) Sight-see

are much appreciated!

We have reservations at the Buffalo Point campground in the park. We hear good things about fishing at Bull Shoals, but also wondered if there is any decent fishing on the river - especially if there are places where you can fish from the bank. (Some of us like to go off on our own and fish without being tied to a car or limited by the rest of the family's activities, though we will also be taking a boat or a canoe). We plan on doing a float trip or two on the river, will probably hop over to Eureka Springs for a day trip (been there before, cute town), would like to find a good flea market or antique mall, and hopefully get some moderate hiking or biking in.

Thanks for any suggestions!
"Airabelle" - '66 Overlander International 26'
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by Tamara
Searching back through this older thread I found a few recommendations for Buffalo National River in northern Arkansas - we will be traveling there for a week-long vacation in mid May. Any recommendations for places to either

1) Fish for catfish or bass
2) Hike
3) Eat/drink
4) Sight-see
Buffalo point is a beautiful spot. Do take seriously any warnings about flash flooding. The Buffalo can rise at an amazing rate. In addition to Bull Shoals there are several lakes that offer good fishing. Norfork, to be sure. Greer's Ferry is not far south. At Eureka Springs you are practically on Beaver Lake.

1. The Buffalo is not a particularly wide river anywhere, so bank fishing, for either bass or catfish, can be done. Finding a profitable location is another matter - this is one reason floating is so popular. Check with local bait shops, park rangers, or just ask around the campground.

2. There are some very nice trails at Buffalo point itself. Be sure to take the one up to the bluff just below the restaurant. Elsewhere, there are hundreds of miles of trails. Do a websearch or better yet buy one of Tim Ernst's books (

3. Beats me. Several good places in Eureka Springs, but elsewhere food can be scarce.

4. You might enjoy the Ozark Folk Center in Eureka Springs ( The Folk Center is something you have to really take the time to enjoy - to just quickly walk through would be disappointing. You have to talk to the craftspeople, sit and listen to the music, and just get into the spirit of the place. There is always someone (or a group, or several groups) playing music at the courthouse in Mountain View on weekends). Some people find Blanchard Springs Cavern to be very enjoyable (

Hope you have a good trip.

Mark James
'85 Sovereign, 25'
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:20 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Great tips Mark, thanks so much! The caverns would be fun, we always enjoy caves. Will check into the other lakes you mentioned for fishing, appreciate the input very much!
"Airabelle" - '66 Overlander International 26'
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
I grew up in Little Rock, parents still there. Plenty of good things to do. Went to the Clinton Library it is good, as well as the Market area. Also last I knew there is camping in Burns Park in N. Little Rock, just off I-40. Good bike-walking path on the north side of the Arkansas River. For food find BBQ. If you want some of the best try HBīs in SW Little Rock, you will have to get directions it is tucked away in a neighborhood, but worth the search. Also Simīs and JoJos are great.
Mike Martin
bikrmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I was stationed at Little Rock AFB (actually in Jacksonville, AR) about 25 years ago. I lived in North Little Rock and Little Rock. Nice place to live but a few years behind the times. One spot I remember, and is still in existance, is Cajun's Wharf. Their specialties are steamed shrimp and Play-De-Dos, a fruity mixed drink concoction served in a Mason Jar.

For camping, I recommend Petit Jean State Park, about 60 miles W of LR off of I-40. It was just rated the top state park in the country by Camping Life Magazine.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #23
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
The entire extent of my knowledge of Little Rock was from the rock'n'roll heyday of KAAY "The Mighty 1090" AM (Little Rock) that used to boom into Sioux City, IA on warm summer nights as we cruised the loop... me in my '66 Fairlane ala "American Graffitti"... alas... in looking it up today, while it's still around it's no longer the icon it once was. <sigh> All great things come to an end eventually.
AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:33 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Little Rock

The Clinton Library downtown, The River Market, The Old State House. All of this is together.
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:23 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member
1994 34' Limited
Elgin , Texas
Perhaps my perspective is a bit different because I am originally from Houston, but I was lucky enough to live there from 1999-2001, and I loved it! Well, I did miss the Tex-Mex, but other than that it was great!

LR isn't a place you could spend several days and stay busy, but there are some things to see. Pinnacle Mountain is very nice, as well as the COE park at Maumelle. Like a previous poster mentioned, the Clinton library is also open now, and the capitol building is worth a look.

In terms of food, I recall a very good place called Butcher Shop located in off Shackelford that has great steaks. The BBQ places were pretty good, too - the one we ate at most was Corky's over in the Chenal area. Beware the coleslaw on the sandwiches, though. Apparently, that's the norm in Tennessee & Arkansas. We Texans tend to get our slaw on the side! Shorty Small's on Rodney Parham was pretty good, too. They are famous for their onion loaf. For seafood, we liked Cock of the Walk just across the river on the west side. They have wonderful fried pickles and pretty dang good tartar sauce! For a big, and I mean big, burger, try Cotham's downtown and get a hubcap burger. They've also got chicken fried steak, salads, chicken, etc. Faded Rose has two locations - one not too far from the library on Rebsamen Park, and one on North Bowman. They use a bit of cajun flair in their food. Alley Oops on Kanis is good for just plain food - burgers and such. If you've got kids, they'll probably like purple milk shakes at the Purple Cow and they've got burgers, salads and such to go with them. Last thing I can think of is a chain - Ci-Ci's Pizza. I gotta plug this one because a very dear friend of mine owns the one in Little Rock on Rodney Parham.

ginger126 is offline   Reply With Quote