Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Little Rock, Ar - Place to stay

We are planning on leaving early March from Oregon to Little Rock, Ar. Plan on traveling about 6 hours a day and trying to stay hooked up for
overnight most nights along the way.
Will be staying in Little Rock for a few days and we are interested in a suggestion on a good park to stay.

sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
It depends on what you are looking for.

For an out in the country atmosphere that is still convenient to Little Rock there is the Corps of Engineers' Maumelle Recreation Area & Campground located near the Murray Lock and Dam. Here's a link to a general description of Corps stuff around Little Rock: Arkansas River Between Little Rock and Dardanelle. It's a nice campground with 144 sites and is located at the west end of the extensive Little Rock/North Little Rock bike path system. Here's a link to the Corps' site about the area including links to thier reservation system: Corps Lakes Gateway: Arkansas - Arkansas River - Murray Lock and Dam

For more of a downtown atmosphere, North Little Rock has a very nice campground right on the river near their downtown entertainment and dining area at the east end of the bike path. It's just across the river from the Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock which is located by Little Rock's downtown entertainment area. The Library is accessable via a retired rail bridge converted to bike and pedestrian traffic as well as convenient auto routes. See Downtown North Little Rock Arkansas Riverside RV Park

Tere's also a KOA in NLR, but it's not as nice as either of the other locations. It is, however, near the west end of the bake path by the Murray Lock and Dam, so it's not totally just an Interstate rest stop.

There is other camping nearby, but these are the main LR/NLR ones.

vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
This Arkie would add- don't stay in Burns Park, even if they still allow camping (not sure they do). Dangerous at night - as are areas in certain sections of LR.
I think all of those mentioned by VS are good.
There are many beautiful corps and state parks within a 50 mile radius of LR. Some, however, don't stay fully open before April 1.
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins HD
1987 Excella 32'

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
If it was me I would stay at Maumelle Park. The downtown NLR park is very convenient, but it is right next to the noisy I30 bridge over the river, the sites are VERY close together, and there isn't a single tree in the park. Some folks don't mind because there is always several campers, but not my cup of tea.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Siloam Springs , Arkansas
Another vote for the Hot Springs area. Catherine's Landing is a new, very nice park. The bathhouses are neat to see and experience if that is your thing. We enjoy a trip or two a year.
The parks Vaughan mentioned around Little Rock are good, too.
I hear really neat things about Tom Sawyer park in Memphis, although I think it takes a lot of planning and amble reservation time.

Jeff & Cindy
Hunter RIP

'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Springfield , Missouri
We stayed at the North Little Rock Park, it was a nice park, staff friendly, got the end spot on the river but a woman ran over the water hydrant and we had to move, got stuck between two huge MH and the wifi was week. It was nice to walk to Clinton Library and the park was pet friendly.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
2013 28' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Little Rock, place to stay

I second the Maumelle Park suggestion. Very nice park and many sites are on a part of the Arkansas River.

rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote