Old 08-21-2003, 10:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
First 'n Last...

HI Guys....
Not quite up 2 Yr standards by a long way...but a few years ago I bought a dump-it trailer from a friend up the road, it was a caravan chassis, abt 8x4.5x4foot high, it was a monster, real heavy, the chances of me reversing it 2a 90 degree angle into the drive were NIL...so I used to unhook it, and wrestle it down our steep drive, usualy I enlisted help from " inside "...but as it was too much trouble 4 them sometimes, I mastered it alone, so 2 stop it, I placed a row of bricks where I needed them, well on this one day, my D/D had moved the bricks away 2 sweep the yard, well I done my wrestling trick, and to my amazement, the trailer kept on goin, an goin...so with NO brick-brakes, the trailer crunched into the garden shed, thus smashing my brand new light bar assembly...I was realy impressed with my handy work, but as half as I was with my D/Ds neat 'n tidy yard...GRrrr.
Word Is said that one has had NO experience until one has had a BOO-BOO...
Love Yr stories...MORE please...Chris.....

Old 08-25-2003, 12:09 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
I am so happy to have discovered.....

this thread. I now know I am not alone in making mistakes, and I have a gouge about ten inches long to memorialize one event. I park the trailer next to a renovated barn, under a roofed over-hang. Positioning the trailer correctly has become easier, but not without cost. I once maneuvered too closely and ended up putting a ding in the right rear quarter-panel - the first blemish on a 17 year-old skin. Right of passage, perhaps, but irritating. I have nightmares about snugging the trailer so close to the barn I have to tear the barn down to free up the trailer!

Old 06-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Almost a boo boo!

Luckily, nothing happened. I was trying to back our 5er in our drive and park it yesterday; the problem was I tried to do it without a spotter. "DON"T TRY IT" It's just asking for a problem. If anyone has had any experience with a 5th wheels you may know what I'm talking about. In all of my years of towing I found they are a lot harder than a trailer to back up. I may do better when I get more used to it though. Anyway, while backing into our drive I had it turned into a position where I simply couldn't see anything on the passenger side of the camper. I started having doubts and thought I had better stop. I did, got out and looked and I was only a few inches from clipping the corner of our eave on the house. Had I kept backing up I would have certainly done some damage.

As a normal practice we use a small pair of walkie-talkies. My wife will watch for the blind spots. This has been the easiest and best way we have found to avoid trouble while backing or parking. The walkie-talkies work great, I highly recommend using them.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
First Boo Boo

When we got our caravanner home from Michigan it was time to attemp our first back up. Even with Amy in back on the two way it wasn't the easiest thing since I had never done it. I was hinged so much the my tail light and Airstream had a brief relationship. I teenie tiny crack in the tail lens, and nothing on the stream. The panel just popped back out like nothing ever happened. I wiped the sweat off, and let out a sigh.

Unlike Jack, I always welcome someone helping us back in since we are not proficient at it yet.

Steve
Old 06-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
When we got our caravanner home from Michigan it was time to attemp our first back up. Even with Amy in back on the two way it wasn't the easiest thing since I had never done it. I was hinged so much the my tail light and Airstream had a brief relationship. I teenie tiny crack in the tail lens, and nothing on the stream. The panel just popped back out like nothing ever happened. I wiped the sweat off, and let out a sigh.

Unlike Jack, I always welcome someone helping us back in since we are not proficient at it yet.

Steve

Back up cameras help backing up..

They also help keeping a relationship intact.

Andy
Old 06-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
This relationship wasn't good....I was connected to the trailer at the time and a backup light wouldn't likely have prevented what happened.

Steve
Old 06-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
I've thought about a back up camera for the fifth wheel. However, I'm wondering if it wouldn't just cause more confusion where you would be setting in a different perspective than what you are seeing through the camera.

I did have a back up camera on the M/H I had and they are worth there weight in gold!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I advise folks to not help me back in. Let my wife and I do it. Any more help just adds to the confusion.
Jack
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago in a campground in BC. While my wife was registering, one of the employees said he'd direct me into the site, which had a picnic table at the back that was covered by a roof. He kept telling me to back up, but he was apparently only watching the side I could already see. It wasn't until I stopped and went back to look that I found that the awning support was up against the roof of the picnic table shelter. Fortunately it had just touched and did no damage, but another couple of inches and something would have been bent or broken.
Now I'll never let anyone but my wife direct me into a site. I'd rather do it myself even if I have to get out and look a dozen times to get it right.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Can't say that I haven't almost dinged a trailer/TV... My wife and I work well together (most of the time!). Slow deliberate movements - stop and get out and check for yourself if there is any doubt. I normally walk the 'route' and pick out something to aim at with the tires/rear bumper. Seems to work for us.
Ya'll just be careful and don't ding the aluminum!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote