Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
List of campgrounds

How do you keep up with a list of campgrounds you would like to visit? I see different posts and think, I would love to visit that campground when we go that way but in reality, I know I'll never be able to find where I saw that post!! Just curious! I know there has to be an easy way to keep track of campgrounds that I would like to visit! Thanks!

Laura & Tom
Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Do you have the app Allstays? It is great for viewing state by state and you can choose your categories and read reviews. I find it to be most helpful.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

I use Pinterest for both campgrounds I've heard are nice and things to do ( bike trail, hike, tourist attractions, funky restaurants, museums etc) per state. So I have a Pinterest page for each state for things to do and a Pinterest page for each state for camping. You can add notes to each pin ie site 53 very private or trailhead directions. Each page has a map and each pin is mapped. I can use this info if I plan ahead or even driving ( ie we're passing through an area and I can see if there's anything in the area I might be interested in or something that would be a short diversion off our route). Or if we're planning a trip to a certain area I can look and see if I pinned any info on good campgrounds in that area.

It seems overwhelming to do this at first but it's actually fun saving info on fun and interesting things and places to do in the future. If you want to do it, just make your folders and add to them when you come across something you're interested in. I've gotten lots of ideas from this forum on good campgrounds and sites.

I think I have some instructions on how to set up your pages and how to add pins from the Internet. PM me if you're interested and I'll see if I can dig them up.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
We use a combination of Allstays Pro and campgroundreviews.com Those two provide more info than any other source we've tried. Good Sam and other commercial books seem to have a bias to subscribers and totally miss under the radar campgrounds like city and county parks. Trip Advisor also is starting to get some reviews but are harder to search.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
For the places that interest me, and for planning out a trip, some of the best information can be had at that particular states department of tourism. It's free, and they will send information based on your preferences. Oklahoma has the most comprehensive (and attractively presented) package I have ever seen. Apps are ok, but having a hard copy to lay out while you are planning is my preference.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
When traveling, I try to make a list of potential places to stop along the route we are taking, but often we might go in a different direction, etc. We do not usually make reservations ahead of time unless we absolutely know we will be at a place on such and such a date... so in addition we use several smart phone apps... AllStays (has been mentioned before), and I also use Campwhere and OhRanger. Between those three we have always been able to find something in whatever area we wind up in! Some of the apps will even work without wifi and that is a good thing, because we love the mountains and many times the wifi signal or cell signals are non existant!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Camping list

I keep a little black book that write down things or campgrounds that I find.
My wife wants to turn it into a computer file but I find it easier to keep the book it takes less time to use I have it in sections by state keep notes on price best sites shade or not. Things like water, electric, bug rating and type of bugs.I know the old fashion way but it works and it won't lock up or vanish. Good camping Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Great ideas everyone and I sure appreciate it. I see so many posts with photos of different places that I would love to visit when we get that way, but just not sure how to save them! We use AllStays while on the road which is great, but sometimes not all campgrounds are on there app. Also, I may see a post for example of an awesome campground in Oregon and I think...I would love to stay here when we get there, but it could be years before being able to go and would love to find a way to "save" these suggestions. You all have definitely helped! Thanks so much!

Laura & Tom
Old 07-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
I use Garmin's Basecamp mapping software in conjunction with my Garmin GPS. If I get a recommendation from this site or one of the many blogs from full-timers out there, I just save a waypoint on the map. Next time I'm going that way the little icon pops up on the map reminding me that I saved this site for a reason. When you save a waypoint you have the opportunity to save web addresses, lat/long coords, and tons of reference notes.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
That's a great idea as well Fl Cracker! My husband and I are Florida Crackers as well! I will hope to meet you somewhere along the way! Thanks!

Laura & Tom
Old 07-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Campgrounds

I like to find a campground via Google maps, searching for "RV Campgrounds near xxxx". Once I see the map, I pick out the ones I think might be nice, look at the website, and then, most important read the online reviews, from the independent review sites.

If I find several reviews within the past year which are extremely negative, I eliminate the campground. One or two reviews negative when others are saying very positive things, I usually forget.

Why I like to look at reviews is the campgrounds change so often, ownership, etc.

Another way to search out campgrounds is to look at the individual towns where one might wish to stay, and on the towns website the local Parks and Recreation may have camping and often this is not picked up even in a Google search....why i do not know, but I have stayed in a couple this way. No frills, very low cost.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote