Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Lighten Your Load

A comment in an RV forum a couple months ago made me think how much extra weight I could do without when I take the trailer on the road. The writer asked TT and MH owners to look in their RVs and decide if they could do without some items, weigh them and report back to the forum.

This weekend I cut off the receiver tube/crossbar that was used by the PO to mount a bike rack. The wider than bumper 4" PVC pipe came off next. I went through the trailer today after work and found 78 complete sets of silverware, an extra rivet gun, parts, parts and parts. Lets see how much this all weighed:

receiver tube/crossbar: 35 lbs.
PVC pipe 16
Extra parts/rivet gun 25
Extra utensils 4

I probably travel with another 250 lbs. of hunting gear during hunting season but remove this when making a non-hunting trip.

I still use Chinet paper plates/bowls but still have 4 complete sets of white Corel large plates, small plates, large bowls, small bowls and 4 coffee mugs. I rarely use disposable cups, preferring to drink out of heavy clear plastic cups with a rubbery knurled gripping surface (never dropped a Wild Turkey and Coke yet). I cut the forks, spoons, knives down from 7 sets to 4 sets plus 2 Boy Scout sets I've had longer than I care to admit.

What have you removed lately to lighten your load and maybe get a little better gas mileage?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I noticed on last week's trip to Minnesota how much "stuff" we've accumulated that goes unused. I packed out 3 jeans/3 shorts plus t's plus long sleeved shirts plus jackets for two people. Little was worn since humidity/sweating is so reduced there compared to our Missouri, so I've vowed to CUT the clothes. Jeans and jackets are weighty, so that will help. I've multiple frying pans, pots, platters, and so on, so I'm reducing to two fry pans and one pot, all we really need. I could go on, but Craig, your point is well taken, and we for one Airstream, are hauling all the "stuff" back to the house to lighten the load before our fall trips. I'll weigh the overload like you and report back in a couple of weeks. Good thread...I hope you hear from lots of folks who also decide to reassess what they pack into their 'streams. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Last year I got tired of hot spots in my thin aluminum pots and pans. I ordered a set of Cuisinart Chef's Classic Hard-anodized pots and pans from Amazon.com and received a bonus sauce pan. They may weigh more than what they replaced but they sure work better on the propane stove than anything else I have tried, even stainless steel bi-metal pans.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Interesting observations. I think it would be useful to unpack everything in the trailer once a year and start over. We did this a couple of years ago - but stuff accumulates. I guess it's time again - sigh.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Since we go out every couple of weeks, there are times when I know we are not going to use certain things...so a lot of the "stuff" that might otherwise stay in the trailer being heavy and waiting to be used, we actually store in the garage between trips... then I only take with us what we really plan to use. For instance...when campfires aren't allowed, we don't take charcoal grills, fire wood, etc...and when we know we are going to use charcoal grill only, we don't take the gas grill and extra gas to run it... We plan our meals for the most part, and don't load down the frig with stuff that will not be eaten...and we STILL end up bringing food home. Another area we are still working on getting down to what we need is clothes...seems we always take too many and end up just hauling then around. I go through the exterior storage areas about every 2 trips and eliminate what's not being used on a regular basis...it can be stored int he garage with the other stuff and taken on a specific trip if we know we are going to use it. If we are going to be somewhere where we can go buy soda or other "staples" we don't take enough for the entire trip with us because we know we can get it there when we run out...that way we don't have to haul it there...

It amazes me how much stuff we can eliminate if we just think about it.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Make room for more stuff?

Hi, funny you say this, but my wife just said we need to lighten up. Well, I lost 20 lbs. but that is not enough. We will start with chairs; we have two bagged chairs, two folding steel tube chairs, two aluminum chairs, and two folding wooden chairs. We will decide which six chairs not to take with us. I will sort through my tools. I try to keep one socket set, one wrench set, two [different] pliers, one pocket screw driver, one phillips screw driver, and one straight [or flat blade] screw driver. I won't list all the tools but I feel the need to have them, but I will try to reduce as much as I feel safe with. We really don't have too much excess, but I now have to carry a 70 lb. generator and possibly a tandem bicycle. Some of the stuff that will be eliminated will be from the tow vehicle too. We pre-cook some meals at home so we do not need to bring our little/portable barbeque and propane. For stuff I don't want to cook or heat up inside of our trailer we have a little burner that weighs about one pound. Good timing and we are glad you brought this up.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
as i get older and have more stuff and less memory, i find an inventory is very helpful.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Last week Sam went to Connecticut for the weekend. She left me at home. That saved some weight.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
more useless weight

Being a full timer, I don't have anywhere to store stuff I won't be using this trip. My MH has an 80 gallon fresh water tank. I save gas by dumping waste tanks & fresh water if I know I'll have access to water where I'll be staying next. Just keep 3 milk jugs of drinking water for us & our dogs. they can be refilled as needed along the way. Who needs 2 complete sets of Craftsman wrenches in 1 tool box anyway?
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
200 lbs removed from a 14,000lb rig would be a reduction of 1.4% in weight. What would be the savings in fuel? I don't believe it is that much. Is there a mathamatical formula to determine the savings.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Part of this issue concerns state of mind. If we are concerned about weight issues with our Airstreams, then we probably are mindful of weight and efficiency in other issues that might be called "green" in this current world of ours. For example, if we are doing remodels, as we provision for trips, and so on. I suspect this is bigger than just lightening a load, though that is important and a great beginning point. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
As one who strongly prefers to fly with a carry-on only, packing light makes a lot of sense to me. There's a lot less clutter that way. And a modern CCD interior wouldn't look nearly so attractive with stuff scattered about.

My in-laws like to say, "Take half the clothes and twice the money!"
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
As soon as I start taking things out, Liz sees the "extra" space and starts filling it again. At least I'm taking out heavy crap and she's backfilling with lighter crap. I did draw one line in the sand - I get to determine what rides in the back of the 'burb! If I can't get to the jack and spare, whatever was blocking the way don't go in there. I refuse to have a pile o'stuff on the side of the road while changing a tire...

She's not as bad as my mother though. Back in the late 80's, my folks had a 24' class C MH. Mom would pack enough to last a rifle platoon for a month - all for a 2 person 3 day weekend.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
hyannis , Massachusetts
Hey we just got rid of 250 lbs of crap from the RED SOX, BYE MANNY
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Hey we just got rid of 250 lbs of crap from the RED SOX, BYE MANNY
I've had a bad day at work and that quote just made my day! I had to laugh.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
hyannis , Massachusetts
Hey Craig, I was on line when i heard the news. Thought this was the perfect to post what i was thinking.. Glad you enjoyed it. Have a great weekend!!! Christopher
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Well, I lost 20 lbs. but that is not enough.
Bob, when you retired you lost weight. When I retired I gained weight! I'm jealous. Certainly losing personal weight would be a good thing for many of us, though throwing things out of the trailer and pickup is a lot easier.

I think taking fewer clothes is good for long trips. You just have to hit the laundromat more often. When traveling through different seasons, layers are better than multiple coats. I'm trying to figure out how to cut down on tools—I tend to bring something for every eventuality including whether I have to dismantle a locomotive (I've never had to, but who knows when one will block us in somewhere?). I think it's a good idea not to carry too much fresh water sometimes, but what if you can't get hookups when you thought you could?

We have some real plates, glasses, mugs, and some paper and plastic. I need to have some real plates, etc., to feel good. My 1962 Corningware set is nearly unbreakable and light. Too many paper plates get pretty heavy too. We also mix some metal utensils with plastic. We cook at home with cast iron because it's wonderful to cook in. Barb is trying to adjust to cheapo aluminum pans without Teflon (Teflon is not good for us), but I'm not sure we shouldn't have one large cast iron pot that can double as a pan.

Since we're thinking of fulltiming some day for a year or so, we're already thinking about a small printer, back up hard drive and other electronic gear. Will we need satellite TV and broadband? Extra spare? Another 1,000 kw generator? More clothes, water? More food—spices, dried things like rice, flour, beans, etc. How much cereal? Barb makes the world's best muesli, but she needs lots of different things to do so and has a lot of bulk stuff for this and other cooking. We eat a lot of organic food and make a lot of food from scratch and that requires a lot of stuff. We look for high quality bread and freeze it. We eat a lot of fruit and that takes more space and is heavy. Then there's the library—maps of every state and province, tour and campground books, novels and other books, CD's. There's all sorts of papers we would need—passports, investment information, copy paper for the printer, etc. I think I can leave the Colorado statutes behind.

Just like keeping the weight off my stomach, keeping it out of the Safari and pickup is a challenge.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Well My AS is loosing weight very quickly! Just about finished gutting the interior

What I have done in the past is keep the bare minimum for survival in the AS and rotated Rubbermaid Action Packers in and out of the truck bed depending on the length of the trip and the seasons.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #19
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
I can't agree more the MaxandGeorgia and Janet, I carry more in "just-n-case" stuff, I need to reduce the never used stuff.

Due to leaving the pantry stocked and having things expire, Last year I tried to limit the food storage (except for salt/pepper/spices/marg. booze & etc...) into the kitchen and fridge and just stoped and got items near my destination, since I normally go to store anyway I can save alot of time and reduce trailer weight.

There are usually too many extra sheets & towels and spare bathroom things too. I really like knowing I wasn't the only one carring too many tools & parts!

JB
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We moved from a pop up to Airstream. We're also probably unusual in that in our 25 FB the overhead bins and closet and drawers in the bedroom are empty. Underbead storage holds a cast iron skillet and a bugzapper.

Kithenware is a coleman pan set, silver and tin plates for four, Four glasses and four cups. Most drawers are more empty than full.

I'm sure our minimilism adds at least 40 feet per gallon.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote