Old 07-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Hey we just got rid of 250 lbs of crap from the RED SOX, BYE MANNY
I've had a bad day at work and that quote just made my day! I had to laugh.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
hyannis , Massachusetts
Hey Craig, I was on line when i heard the news. Thought this was the perfect to post what i was thinking.. Glad you enjoyed it. Have a great weekend!!! Christopher

Old 08-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Well, I lost 20 lbs. but that is not enough.
Bob, when you retired you lost weight. When I retired I gained weight! I'm jealous. Certainly losing personal weight would be a good thing for many of us, though throwing things out of the trailer and pickup is a lot easier.

I think taking fewer clothes is good for long trips. You just have to hit the laundromat more often. When traveling through different seasons, layers are better than multiple coats. I'm trying to figure out how to cut down on tools—I tend to bring something for every eventuality including whether I have to dismantle a locomotive (I've never had to, but who knows when one will block us in somewhere?). I think it's a good idea not to carry too much fresh water sometimes, but what if you can't get hookups when you thought you could?

We have some real plates, glasses, mugs, and some paper and plastic. I need to have some real plates, etc., to feel good. My 1962 Corningware set is nearly unbreakable and light. Too many paper plates get pretty heavy too. We also mix some metal utensils with plastic. We cook at home with cast iron because it's wonderful to cook in. Barb is trying to adjust to cheapo aluminum pans without Teflon (Teflon is not good for us), but I'm not sure we shouldn't have one large cast iron pot that can double as a pan.

Since we're thinking of fulltiming some day for a year or so, we're already thinking about a small printer, back up hard drive and other electronic gear. Will we need satellite TV and broadband? Extra spare? Another 1,000 kw generator? More clothes, water? More food—spices, dried things like rice, flour, beans, etc. How much cereal? Barb makes the world's best muesli, but she needs lots of different things to do so and has a lot of bulk stuff for this and other cooking. We eat a lot of organic food and make a lot of food from scratch and that requires a lot of stuff. We look for high quality bread and freeze it. We eat a lot of fruit and that takes more space and is heavy. Then there's the library—maps of every state and province, tour and campground books, novels and other books, CD's. There's all sorts of papers we would need—passports, investment information, copy paper for the printer, etc. I think I can leave the Colorado statutes behind.

Just like keeping the weight off my stomach, keeping it out of the Safari and pickup is a challenge.

Gene
Old 08-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Well My AS is loosing weight very quickly! Just about finished gutting the interior

What I have done in the past is keep the bare minimum for survival in the AS and rotated Rubbermaid Action Packers in and out of the truck bed depending on the length of the trip and the seasons.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #19
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
I can't agree more the MaxandGeorgia and Janet, I carry more in "just-n-case" stuff, I need to reduce the never used stuff.

Due to leaving the pantry stocked and having things expire, Last year I tried to limit the food storage (except for salt/pepper/spices/marg. booze & etc...) into the kitchen and fridge and just stoped and got items near my destination, since I normally go to store anyway I can save alot of time and reduce trailer weight.

There are usually too many extra sheets & towels and spare bathroom things too. I really like knowing I wasn't the only one carring too many tools & parts!

JB
Old 08-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
We moved from a pop up to Airstream. We're also probably unusual in that in our 25 FB the overhead bins and closet and drawers in the bedroom are empty. Underbead storage holds a cast iron skillet and a bugzapper.

Kithenware is a coleman pan set, silver and tin plates for four, Four glasses and four cups. Most drawers are more empty than full.

I'm sure our minimilism adds at least 40 feet per gallon.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Goin, can we store our stuff in your Safari?

Gene
Old 08-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
It's hard enough keeping the wife from overloading the A/S.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Thin people; Fat trailer and tow vehicle.

Hi, we use paper plates, but had a few dishes in the trailer which just got replaced by a brand new set of Corelle. [set for four] And we only carry utinsels for four. Pots and pans are at a minimum. No cast iron. Nice stainless steel with thick bases. Thin pans burn food too easily. I need to lose another 70 lbs to make up for my new generator; Well, that's not going to work. Maybe instead of 40 gallons of water I will only fill with 5 gallons. Kitchen appliances include a toaster, a four cup coffee maker, and a small rice cooker. I think we all want to be fully prepared for anything, but not over do it.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
We are getting ready to go to the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club rally later this week. Yesterday, I went through Aunt Bee and boxed up things that we don't need to take with us. It absolutely amazed me how many things there are that we don't need to drag along. I am sure we lightened the load
Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #25
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Maybe someone should invent a door mat with a built in cumulative scales? It could be programed to ignore the person's normal weight but add up what was being carried across the threshold. FWIW when I cleared out our popup we had over 450# of dishes, cookware and other unused bric-a-brac...

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote