Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2004, 09:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

life on the road - week 1

Thanksgiving Day, Bethel Island, CA

You meet the nicest people... when you don't know how to back up! ok, not the smartest thing i've ever done, hitting the road with no backing up experience, but even this little kink has had it's good points, like being stuck in the middle of a northern california suburban nightmare, the day before thanksgiving, in a parking lot with no outlet. as i sat there with my head in my hands, a nice man came out, got me pointed in the right direction, and gave excellent instructions on how to get to this rv park. once here, i discovered that, in theory, they have no pull-through spots but according to the women at the desk, i could just pull through empty back-to-back spots with some minor maneuvering between picnic tables, electric hook-ups, trees. ha! minor maneuvering! but i made it and am happily ensconced in space 46...even though i was heading for 45.

Towing an airstream; you don't even know it's back there. How true! I had to fight with vanna to keep her speed under 70. not even stressed out going over the siskiyous. however, from sacramento to here, the roads absolutely suck - be it I5 or this little hwy 4. i was terrified to enter the trailer to see what all had shaken loose. guess what i discovered? that little padded thing behind the toilet holds extra toilet paper!!!

so, it's been a helluva week. started off with making new friends at beverly beach (what a great group of people), and will end with thanksgiving dinner with a family i've known for 30 years...kids all grown up with kids of their own.

next stop....monterey penninsula where i just may settle in for a month.

happy thanksgiving to all you airstreamers and airdreamers (btw, i'm parked on "airstream drive")
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Happy Thanksgiving! Sounds like a wonderful adventure.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:30 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Pope Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
hitting the road with no backing up experience, but even this little kink has had it's good points, like being stuck in the middle of a northern california suburban nightmare, the day before thanksgiving, in a parking lot with no outlet. as i sat there with my head in my hands, a nice man came out, got me pointed in the right direction, and gave excellent instructions on how to get to this rv park. once here, i discovered that, in theory, they have no pull-through spots but according to the women at the desk, i could just pull through empty back-to-back spots with some minor maneuvering between picnic tables, electric hook-ups, trees. ha! minor maneuvering! but i made it and am happily ensconced in space 46...even though i was heading for 45.
You've just explained my current night nightmare, as I get ready to pick up my new 25' CCD tomorrow. I'm having visions of the entire Casa de Fruta RV park standing around in a big circle watching me try to maneuver on my first night with my Airstream. It's good to know I'm not alone.

Keep us posted on your trip. Sounds great.
Hit'the'road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:34 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good for you, Annettte! Glad to hear you made it safely to your next park. There's lots of learning to do, but it's all do-able, and folks really can be pretty nice. So, did you find someone to help unload the Vespa yet

Happy Thanksgiving!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit'the'road
You've just explained my current night nightmare, as I get ready to pick up my new 25' CCD tomorrow. I'm having visions of the entire Casa de Fruta RV park standing around in a big circle watching me try to maneuver on my first night with my Airstream. It's good to know I'm not alone.

Keep us posted on your trip. Sounds great.
ahhhhh, a new 25' CCD. oh man, i am so jealous! where is pope valley and casa de fruta? i'd love to come watch . a couple days ago i was in another park without pull-throughs and was given a big spot at the end so i could just back straight in. no such luck. finally, some old guy in a little white cart came by, at first gave me instructions but said i was backing in too slow ("like an old lady") so i jumped out and made him do it. fortunately, one of the guys at dinner today tows for a living so i plan on getting lots of advice.

good luck with your new airstream.....let me know how the entertainment, i mean backing up, goes.
1997 E350
Old 11-25-2004, 10:45 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Good for you, Annettte! Glad to hear you made it safely to your next park. There's lots of learning to do, but it's all do-able, and folks really can be pretty nice. So, did you find someone to help unload the Vespa yet

Happy Thanksgiving!
Hi Stef.....it was so great to meet you at the mini rally! (note to all: stef is as wonderful and kind and smart as she appears on this forum ) thanks to you and david and jim for loading the vespa into the van. she is still there but don't you think it is a great idea to head for monterey and tool around there with her? i think so.

Happy Thanksgiving to you guys, too.
1997 E350
Old 11-25-2004, 10:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
You Go Gal!!

Glad to hear you're safely ensconced on Airstream drive! I think Monterey would be a woooooooonderful area to visit! Having trouble loading pics from forums rally...so placing individual ones here & there!

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2971.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	9531  

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Annette,sounds as if your getting the hang of it. If your planning on staying on the Monterey Peninsula for a bit, I'm sure will catch up with you, happy trailering, Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Hey Annette,

Seems like you will make it to Monterey after all, but a month late for the rally. Do you know where to stay? Everything is expensive on the Monterey Bay but at least it is off season rates. There is a rv park in the dunes south of Monterey at Seaside. There is a KOA one mile from the beach at Watsonville. There are three rv parks in Big Basin surrounded by redwoods near Santa Cruz.

My favorite would be KOA and you would have the whole, beautiful park to yourself. But spendy even in off season. We go to KOA usually in fall and spring every year.

Good luck in your towing education. Soon you will be a proud graduate of "On-the-Road" University!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Pope Valley , California
Quote:
where is pope valley and casa de fruta? i'd love to come watch .
Annette,

Pope Valley is just east of the Napa Valley near St. Helena. Casa de Fruta is near Hollister. It's about 35 miles from the Airstream dealer in Los Banos. If you're heading to Monterrey, Casa de Fruta is kind of on the way. Come on by, I'll be there Friday evening. I'm going to bring her home on Saturday. Maybe two pathetic newbies would attract some experienced hands to stop by and give some more training .

Cam
Hit'the'road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Cam, I may try to break away from the family for a bit, I'd come watch you circle around Casa de fruita , just kidding, what's your check in time at the fruita ? hopefully before dark I hope. Jeff
Old 11-25-2004, 01:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Cam/Jeff,

Let's set a time for a tour of the new rig on Friday. It will be a mini-reunion. Jeff, bring Collin along for a ride on the train.

Come rally with us.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Great idea Big Dee, we'll have to see what time they check out of Toscano.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:40 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

ok ok ok...wait a minute. are you guys serious? where is los banos? i want to be there too. i need to do laundry tomorrow (i do have my priorities!) then i could hit the road. i'm in brentwood, could head to napa...damn, too many mimosa's
1997 E350
Old 11-25-2004, 03:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
ok ok ok...wait a minute. are you guys serious? where is los banos? i want to be there too. i need to do laundry tomorrow (i do have my priorities!) then i could hit the road. i'm in brentwood, could head to napa...damn, too many mimosa's
Annette,

Casa de Fruita is on the way to Monterey if you're in Brentwood. Take I5 south to Hwy 152 head west to Casa de Fruita (It's on the hwy). The RV park has all pull throughs, almost. Cam and you can be next to each other without a problem, place is huge. I would love to meet everyone at Casa de Fruita. After your stay, just head west on Hwy 152 to Hwy 101 then south to Hwy 156, west to Hwy 1 and the Monterey Bay. Easy shot.

Come rally with us.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
Annette,

Casa de Fruita is on the way to Monterey if you're in Brentwood. Take I5 south to Hwy 152 head west to Casa de Fruita (It's on the hwy). The RV park has all pull throughs, almost. Cam and you can be next to each other without a problem, place is huge. I would love to meet everyone at Casa de Fruita. After your stay, just head west on Hwy 152 to Hwy 101 then south to Hwy 156, west to Hwy 1 and the Monterey Bay. Easy shot.
ok, i'm there. cam, you'll be there friday night...for one night only? i'll leave brentwood tomorrow. big dee, are you on? i can always do laundry (for free ) at my friends' place in pg. but, wait, they're mostly pull-throughs? where's the entertainment factor in that???? cam, maybe we can get a day of practice in.
1997 E350
Old 11-25-2004, 04:35 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
life on the road - week 1

Greetings Annette and Hit'the'road!

Congratulations as your adventure begins!

Quote:
Thanksgiving Day, Bethel Island, CA

You meet the nicest people... when you don't know how to back up! ok, not the smartest thing i've ever done, hitting the road with no backing up experience, but even this little kink has had it's good points, like being stuck in the middle of a northern california suburban nightmare, the day before thanksgiving, in a parking lot with no outlet. as i sat there with my head in my hands, a nice man came out, got me pointed in the right direction, and gave excellent instructions on how to get to this rv park. once here, i discovered that, in theory, they have no pull-through spots but according to the women at the desk, i could just pull through empty back-to-back spots with some minor maneuvering between picnic tables, electric hook-ups, trees. ha! minor maneuvering! but i made it and am happily ensconced in space 46...even though i was heading for 45.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit'the'road
I suspect that you have more company than you'll ever know in regard to problems encountered where backing the coach is required. One of my most memorable situations involved encountering a "Road Closed-Bridge Out" sign that forced me into turning the Overlander and Suburban around in a very small boat launch area on Crab Orchard Lake (July, 1999). Due to the number of vehicles parked and the physical size of the launch area, I had to back the Overlander down the boat ramp until the rear bumper was in the water - - I can just imagine what boaters on the lake must have been thinking as well as the few people who were in the launch area.

Quote:
guess what i discovered? that little padded thing behind the toilet holds extra toilet paper!!!
It is that little "secret" cabinet or compartment that causes problems when we must fit our Argosys with new toilets as many of the newer design toilets (even the low-profile models) are too tall and either partially or entirely block access to that cabinet. It was among the little unexpected surprises that my Minuet had for me - - the original owner hadn't mentioned the cabinet and I had never been aware of its existence prior to acquiring the Minuet.

It sounds like both of you are well on your way to enjoying your coaches - - the adventure begins!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:53 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Kevin, your story fills me with fear!!! on the way to brentwood i had to cross two bridges that turned out to be one-vehicle-at-a-time bridges. it wasn't until the evening, with a nice little burbon in hand, that it dawned on me: what if i had to back up off the bridge!!!! i'm never ever leaving the freeways

guess it's finally time for the turkey.

cheers all!
1997 E350
Old 11-25-2004, 05:20 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
With a tow vehicle like this, you can see why she has a problem backing up..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	annette_vespa.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	9532  
Old 11-25-2004, 06:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Annette, you put the big tow rigs to shame! Way to go, girl
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab