Old 01-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
License Plate In Transit?

Question: We purchased while living in one state, never transferred the title, registered or got plates because we knew we would relocate soon. Does it need a license plate, registration, etc. to move it to its destination?

Details: Last year we bought a used AS in Colorado, brought it home, made repairs and modifications as needed/wanted. It has a Colorado title. We never transferred the title to our names or registered it because we knew we would be relocating within a year. Relocation time is near, we're heading to Texas to base from there and become Texans (we already have an address and bank, the rest will change when we get there). We haven't taken it out on the road yet. It is currently yard art. Once we base out of Texas is when the adventures begin.

Can we just drag it to Texas without a license plate, transfer the title there, get it inspected and get the TX license plate?

Or, is it more complicated than that?

Would a plate that says "In Transit" suffice?

It still has the expired plate from the PO.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Go to your DMV and ask about a trip permit. You might need one in each state you transit.

Edit: since you have a Texas address, just register it there before you leave Colorado.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Check with your DMV for a transport permit.....Virginia has them online. You fill it out with your beginning and end destination, pay 5 bucks and print it off.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #4

1971 23' Safari
Longview , Texas
Transporting out of state AS

I just purchased a 29' AS in North Carolina to transport to Texas. Laws changed here in March 2015. After 3 days at the Motor Dept. at the
Court house, finally got all the paperwork.
My title is clear; however I had to apply for Texas title only to get temporary 30 day license to transport it. Also gave my son an affadavit to drive and extra insurance card.
You have to have the AS, trailer , bus inspected in Texas ($14) before they will issue the license plates. I was able to pay the taxes and title fee.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps. I am sure every state is different.
Blessings,
victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
Question: We purchased while living in one state, never transferred the title, registered or got plates because we knew we would relocate soon. Does it need a license plate, registration, etc. to move it to its destination?

Details: Last year we bought a used AS in Colorado, brought it home, made repairs and modifications as needed/wanted. It has a Colorado title. We never transferred the title to our names or registered it because we knew we would be relocating within a year. Relocation time is near, we're heading to Texas to base from there and become Texans (we already have an address and bank, the rest will change when we get there). We haven't taken it out on the road yet. It is currently yard art. Once we base out of Texas is when the adventures begin.

Can we just drag it to Texas without a license plate, transfer the title there, get it inspected and get the TX license plate?

Or, is it more complicated than that?

Would a plate that says "In Transit" suffice?

It still has the expired plate from the PO.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
When I bought my Bambi II in NM I registered it in Texas and received a permanent Texas plate prior to transport. I think inspection requirements only apply to larger/heavier trailers.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Thanks everybody!
Ask the question and the answers point you in the right direction.
From TX DMV, trailers need to be inspected before a license plate can be issued.
In our situation, it sounds like a 30 day temp tag would do the job.
http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/regis...porary-permits
We'll likely be there soon taking care of other business, so we'll stop by the local DMV with AS title in hand and ask.
Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Texas requires a safety inspection prior to registration, if the trailer weighs 4,500 lbs. No inspection required if the trailer is under 4,500 lbs. You would have to transfer the title prior to registration. I do not know if TDOT allows a temporary. I have not heard of that in the last 43 years. Better ask TDOT.
guskmg
Old 01-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #8
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Trailer title in Texas

An out of state title signed over is not all you will need to transfer the title in Texas. Based on my past experience buying vehicles from out of state and also from buying my trailer in state, I had to have Texas Title form 130-U signed by the seller before I could transfer the title. In one case I had to send the form to the seller in Tennessee and wait until I got it back signed to transfer the title.

I also suggest researching the information on the Texas DMV website on the specifics of transferring a trailer title from out of state. If you need form 130-U you can download it from www.txdmv.gov/forms and have the seller sign it and that may save you some trouble later.

If you have a bill of sale instead of a signed title that creates more problems and it might be easier to get the title and tags in your name in Colorado now and transfer will be easier in Texas later because you will be the legal owner. You will have to pay sales tax in the first state you register in.

In Texas a trailer with a gross weight greater than 4,500 lbs will have to be inspected within the last 90 days before it can be registered. Trailers with 2 axles are generally considered to be over 4,500 lbs. Here is a link discussing the new trailer inspection laws: http://www.chron.com/sports/article/...ns-6115851.php
Old 01-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are all kinds of ways to handle this but my recommendation would be to go ahead and transfer the title in Colorado and work through any licensing/titling hiccups there, where you hopefully still have access to the seller if necessary, and where you don't have the added complication of an out-of-state aspect to the transaction. Then you'll have a valid Colorado tag and title and you just have transfer it in Texas.

Everything might go fine in Texas once you get there but there's no guarantee, and if they make you go back to the seller it will be much more difficult.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
The seller vanished months ago ...
Old 01-28-2016, 12:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
There are all kinds of ways to handle this but my recommendation would be to go ahead and transfer the title in Colorado and work through any licensing/titling hiccups there, where you hopefully still have access to the seller if necessary, and where you don't have the added complication of an out-of-state aspect to the transaction. Then you'll have a valid Colorado tag and title and you just have transfer it in Texas.

Everything might go fine in Texas once you get there but there's no guarantee, and if they make you go back to the seller it will be much more difficult.

Hi, I agree with Jammer, but I also think what you did was fraud. [one year] And Texas is going to want an up to date, out of state, license. And a title in your name. One way or another you are more than likely going to pay for that lapsed year. Take care of business in Colorado first. I know that California and Oregon don't issue Non-Op's for trailers.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
License Plate In Transit?

Whatever ...
year? Read into things much?
I've never seen any requirement with a time limit on transferring a title, or registering a vehicle, have you?
We'll be in Texas next week to ask in person. I'll post what we find out.
Again thanks for the input everybody.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
Whatever ...
year? Read into things much?
I've never seen any requirement with a time limit on transferring a title, or registering a vehicle, have you?
We'll be in Texas next week to ask in person. I'll post what we find out.
Again thanks for the input everybody.

Hi, yes; Thirty days.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
When I bought my trailer in Syracuse NY I went to the NY DMV office, and bought a transit permit for $12.50. Then towed it back to Tennessee before registering it here.

Don

TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote