Old 09-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Tryon , North Carolina
Lewis & Clark Trail

I am in the early stages of planning an expedition to follow Lewis & Clark Trail from roughly St Louis to Astoria, Oregon. Starting spring 2014. 60+ days. I would be interested in teaming up with other Airstreamers ( or other RVs) to travel together. Very open to ideas about where to go, how long to stay, what to see, etc. The next organized Airstream Lewis & Clark tour is in 2015. Adventure Caravans 44 day trip costs about $8000.

http://www.streamingtogether.blogspot.com
kiddoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Frank and Debbie - Yay for you! We did this two years ago and had a wonderful time. Don't miss the L&C center in Great Falls, MT. A real highlight. The Lolo Square Dance Center and CG (south of Missoula) is a very nice base camp before you drive up to the Lolo Pass. Missoula also has a big Airstream Dealer in town.

TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
It's a great trip to make. Though you might not think it, the Adventure Cycling Assn in Missoula has some great maps (the cyclist's bible). The nice thing about them is it puts you on roads that are relatively free of traffic and yet pretty faithful to the 1804 route. Indeed, when you get to the Dakotas you'll find roads actually named 1804 & 1806 that attempt to keep close to the Missouri. The maps also have most of the notable historic sites marked (as do most of the states). Be aware that camping near Williston and that vicinity will be hard as the oil boom has made housing of any kind impossible to find.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
New Braunfels , Texas
I've not done it in an RV but I rode US 12 across Lolo pass on one of my Harleys a few years ago. The stretch along the Clearwater River is gorgeous, with several nice campgrounds along the way. There is a county park along 12 in Orofino that's right on the river. I pitched my tent there and really liked it. 20 or so miles east in Lowell there are county park campgrounds a ways off of the highway that I would have enjoyed too, had I found them before setting up in Orofino.

You're going to love that trek!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Take audio "tapes" of Undaunted Courage. It is a great book. We listened to the tapes as we visited all the locations from St. Louis to Astoria.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I'd read as much history as possible, including story of Sacagawea, and check out PBS special on Lewis & Clark and Voyage of Discovery. Possible you already have, but well worth the background. I wouldn't worry about making firm plans and solid reservations, as there are a lot of places to stay, and it is pretty easy to find places (other than major national parks) on short notice or by arriving before 4 PM..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
bend , Oregon
We just got back.....

From an 8 day road trip from our home in Oregon to Washington. Fly fishing along the way on the Methow river and the Cowlitz river. Really enjoyed our stay at Lewis and Clark State Park in Winlock, Washington.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019_2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	196284  
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
Frank and Debbie - Yay for you! We did this two years ago and had a wonderful time. Don't miss the L&C center in Great Falls, MT. A real highlight. The Lolo Square Dance Center and CG (south of Missoula) is a very nice base camp before you drive up to the Lolo Pass. Missoula also has a big Airstream Dealer in town.
Hmmmm...we live there and bought our first AS from the nice (but inexperienced with AS service) local Msla folks - a big SOB dealer, but not a big AS dealer...we had two AS (total) to pick from when we bought there two years ago. Traveler's Rest in Lolo is the place where you would be advised to stop and get info before travelling over the pass to ID.

We had devastating forest fires along Hwy 12 this past summer ... don't miss Fort Benton on the Missouri River ... old steamboat port of call on the river. Also watch the BB / nat AS org for announcement of the Wild West Fest in Missoula if you are interested in period "living" history.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I can probably tell you as much as anyone about camping in the stretch between Lolo MT and Lewiston Idaho, along highway 12. Keep me in mind and PM me anytime for information. Highway 12 is part of the route L&C took, and the mountain part is parallel to 12. Lots of good camping in this area.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Tryon , North Carolina
Thanks everyone for the great tips. I will be contacting some of you when we are nearer to taking off for more details about your suggestions.
Frank
http://www.streamingtogether.blogspot.com
kiddoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Sacagawea's grave

it would be out of your way, but we visited Sacagawea's grave in Fort Washakie, WY on our way through WY last year. It's outside of town in a cemetery on the western side. You drive through the small town, another mile past the city cemetery on the right (we searched there). There are no signs other than the one on the main road. You'll see it on top of a hill on the left side of the road. There is some controversy about whether or not she's really buried there, or if it is a relative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1273.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	196325