Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Longview , Texas
Leveling my FC

Hi all I'm a newbie. I was reading in "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming" book that came with my trail and it said not to use the stabalizing jacks for leveling. What should I use and what is a good way to level?
Aggie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Welcome to the Forum. I carry a 6" level to check levels front to back and side to side. Of course, your power jack will easily level you front to back. Most AS folks will carry a set or two of leveler blocks to use when needed for side to side leveling. A bit more of a challenge to do but you'll get the hang of it. You also find that most campgrounds' sites are level enough that using the blocks for side to side alignment won't often be necessary. Good luck
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A couple of short pieces of 2x8 lumber will take care of most side/side leveling needs. If you need more that that maybe you should move. Take care to get it at least close. It will make sleeping much more comfortable and your refrig will appreciate it too. Front to rear is less of a worry since usually the front jack will handle that easily. Now, if you stay hooked up for a quick overnight stay the jack may not do it. If you deploy your stabilizers beware, they are just that. Stabilizers. Not meant to do any lifting so don't put them down with too much force.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yep, there's a difference between stabilizing and leveling. The latter involves using wooden/plastic blocks to raise/lower the wheels on the relevant side for left-to-right leveling; use the tongue jack for back-to-front leveling. The former is just making the rig a little less bouncy while it's parked, especially on windy days.

Lynn
Old 05-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie90
Hi all I'm a newbie. I was reading in "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming" book that came with my trail and it said not to use the stabalizing jacks for leveling. What should I use and what is a good way to level?
Congrats!! I'm a newbie too. Yes, don't use the stabilizers FOR leveling - level first THEN stabilize. The stabilizers are just to put that final touch on the feel of the trailer once you've leveled things side to side ad then front to back.

One way to think of it is to think left to right first. Say you pull in to a site and your left side is 3" lower than your right. Well, you can use some leveling blocks - available on line and at any RV retail store - on the lowest side of the trailer (left in this case) to place under your (left) tires which can be stacked so you build that 3" over a few spacers.

Then, once you've got it level side to side, the jack up front is used to level you front to back.

We use a 4' level inside the trailer near the fridge so we can gauge things overall. This weekend I missed something because the nose was much higher than the rear (side to side was fine) and that actually messed up our grey tank sensors!

At any rate - once level, the stabilizers JUST touch the ground. Don't use them to adjust level in any direction and don't try to lift the trailer with them!

You'll figure it out!! Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

Get some lego locking blocks (the orange thing'y), good wheel chock's (BAL), and and some lumber, I use painted 3/4"T X 8"W plywood cut to length.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06 BURB SHAKEDOWN TRIP 019.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	774.3 KB
ID:	185025   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 BURB SHAKEDOWN TRIP 026.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	824.2 KB
ID:	185026  

Old 05-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Longview , Texas
Thanks all
Aggie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I use the lynx levelers, which go together like legos. Then I've added these chocks that connect to the levelers and stop you when you're on top of them. Makes it real simple.

Tri-Lynx 00018 Lynx Stop 'N Chock Interlocking Wheel Chock, (Pack of 2) : Amazon.com : Automotive

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Somewhere in these forums you will find that the reference you need to level to is the plate in the freezer of your refrigerator. I have a full time airstreamer friend that has done research recording temperatures in his freezer per how level the trailer is, showing that leveling the refrigerator plate is real important to how cold Lucy's freezer gets. With his experienced eye he can drive up on a site, put down a couple 2X6 or what on which side is low, drive on those and is done. He never bothers with the stabilizers even on month long stay.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote