Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
leaving your AS

My husband and I are curious if any AS owners ever leave park their trailers and leave for a day or two? We are interested in camping this memorial weekend, but with campgrounds completely filled save for the first-come-first-serve spots, we thought it would be a good idea to leave on Thursday and take one of these few open spots. This would mean leaving the trailer un-attended overnight in a hosted FS campgound, until Friday when we could go back and stay for the weekend.

What do you guys think?

Keep in mind we are talking about a campground here in Montana, not California FWIW.
2PNPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
So long as there were people around I wouldn't worry. Campers are an OK lot. We left ours for 3 days in Florida while we went to visit a friend. They didn't even charge us for those days. It was a private CG and they said only to unplug the electric cable. I thought that was very nice of them.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I would think that if it has campground hosts, they would keep an eye on it for you. I don't think it should be an issue, not much different if you were to unhook and leave it all day while you were exploring the area in your tow vehicle.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Thanks guys. I think you're right. I was just a worry-wort with my new baby AS.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I left my trailer in FL for over a week when I had to come home in the middle of our trip for a family member's funeral. I set the trailer up like someone was there. I left the power connected cause the refrigerator was stocked. Left a night light on. I put the stabilizers down, left the sewer hose connected, water hose connected (turned off), old chairs out, picnic table pulled up like we were using it, and put on a tongue lock. I had no problem.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quite honestly we see this occurring in campgrounds that are less than 60 miles or so of St. Louis when folks want a guaranteed spot. Especially at the public parks that are first come first served. Sort of makes you angry if you pack up and head down early with intents getting a good spot, only to see site upon site where the camping vehicle is sitting but unobviously unused, or sometime seeing an truck or automobile parked in the site. One of the reasons why we don't weekend camp at nearby public campgrounds. I've been burned too many times by this.

We saw this at one state park where one site was blocked off by lawn chairs. We went back to the check in station to report this only to be met by a shrug of the shoulders by the attendant. The site wasn't reservable and I probably should have removed the chairs and backed in, but I figured that I probably would have hell to pay from the adjoining neighbor who apparently was saving the site for a friend.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Thanks for your feedback Alan.

Jack, that's an interesting take on the matter and one I wasn't expecting. I'm new to this really, but I liken it to how I feel when people/families setup lawchairs around parade routes or other outdoor events. Hmmm.

Then again, I look at the campground reserve system where I see that every site has been reserved; nothing left except the first comes. I guess I could argue it either way, but the trailer/lawn chairs is another way of reserving.

I guess lawn chairs is one thing...but an actual trailer, to me is another. Though I can see where people might take advantage of this.

I hope I don't start a war here.

Well, we do have the option (and are considering) going on Thursday, staying the night, and then leaving Friday morning for our family/kindergarten graduation event, after which we will return.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
It's best to plan early for the Big 3 camping weekends each summer: Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
One of our local County campgrounds has become 90% full all of the time. Folks are paying for several months and just leave the trailers sitting for weekend use. It's only slightly more expensive than a storage lot I guess. It used to be that the prime spots (Monthly rental) were full. Now folks are filling the Nightly spots.

To answer the question...yeah, in an active campground I would have no issue leaving my Airstream for a day or two.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Dang I have to say, that's just sad HIHO.

Well I think we're just gonna skip going this weekend. I doubt we could even get a spot, and I certainly don't want to drive out there, trailer in tow, only to find nothing available. I can camp anytime, I certainly don't need to this particular weekend.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PNPOD View Post
Thanks for your feedback Alan.

Jack, that's an interesting take on the matter and one I wasn't expecting. I'm new to this really, but I liken it to how I feel when people/families setup lawchairs around parade routes or other outdoor events. Hmmm.

Then again, I look at the campground reserve system where I see that every site has been reserved; nothing left except the first comes. I guess I could argue it either way, but the trailer/lawn chairs is another way of reserving.

I guess lawn chairs is one thing...but an actual trailer, to me is another. Though I can see where people might take advantage of this.

I hope I don't start a war here.

Well, we do have the option (and are considering) going on Thursday, staying the night, and then leaving Friday morning for our family/kindergarten graduation event, after which we will return.

Thanks again everyone.
I know my response took the thread a little off your intent. Some times that empty trailer isn't always what it seems to be. In my neck of the woods when in a public campground it's more of a site guarantee than someone away for a day or two. In fairness as you pointed out not everyone can make plans far enough in advance to make a site reservation so this is sometimes a work around for those folks.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
In some campgrounds we've been in, we've seen it posted that campsites must be occupied the first night of a reservation. In Arizona State Parks (may not be the case in other states) an occupied campsite cannot be left unattended overnight without written permission.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Quote:

Well I think we're just gonna skip going this weekend. I doubt we could even get a spot, and I certainly don't want to drive out there, trailer in tow, only to find nothing available. I can camp anytime, I certainly don't need to this particular weekend.
Good choice....it's just the amateurs out anyway.

Bob
Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Scot and Val,

Some of our Montana state parks will require a "first night occupied" rule to prevent holding sites with no use - but it is usually dependent on the camp host. On the other hand, you'll note almost all the state park campgrounds (again, Montana) have a number of "first come..." sites even though the best ones might already be reserved, and those will be available each day (the ones that open, of course). Some of the FS campgrounds aren't as picky, and you can do what you're thinking. Depending on where you think you might go, it's all just part of your learning adventure! You can usually find "somewhere" to spend the night, and might end up with a great weekend adventure, even if unplanned.
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Quote:

We decided this year to close the market ( https://www.facebook.com/Laurel.Farmers.Market ) on Mondays and Tuesdays so we could camp on NOT weekends. Join us up above Red Lodge, or up the Rosebuds some NOT weekend. Plenty of open spots during the weekdays.
Greg & Les
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
LFM-
DW grew up spending lots of time at East Rosebud Lake and really enjoyed it ... now, however, we are closer to the Bitterroots, Sapphires, and Flathead Valley.

If we get that way, we'll try to connect.

We are reluctant to leave our AS for extended periods in any campground... too many years of experience with the negative side of society, I guess. We often stretch out weekends to include leaving earlier on Friday to avoid the last minute "rushers" fighting for a spot ... most MT state campgrounds allow reserving in advance for an extra fee.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Good choice....it's just the amateurs out anyway.

Bob
LOL, I feel better already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
Scot and Val,

Some of our Montana state parks will require a "first night occupied" rule to prevent holding sites with no use - but it is usually dependent on the camp host. On the other hand, you'll note almost all the state park campgrounds (again, Montana) have a number of "first come..." sites even though the best ones might already be reserved, and those will be available each day (the ones that open, of course). Some of the FS campgrounds aren't as picky, and you can do what you're thinking. Depending on where you think you might go, it's all just part of your learning adventure! You can usually find "somewhere" to spend the night, and might end up with a great weekend adventure, even if unplanned.
Thanks for the info OilnH2o. I'm sure we could find a spot for the Pea Pod, and we have seen some interesting DIY sites since starting our camping adventures. We camped last weekend (in the rain) and will go again next weekend (can't wait).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
We decided this year to close the market ( https://www.facebook.com/Laurel.Farmers.Market ) on Mondays and Tuesdays so we could camp on NOT weekends. Join us up above Red Lodge, or up the Rosebuds some NOT weekend. Plenty of open spots during the weekdays.
Greg & Les
Hi LFM!! You're our closest AS neighbors! Haven't been to the LFM, but would like to come out and say hi. We're still learning about all of the great local places to camp, but Rosebud is on our shortlist as Scott is a huge fly-fisherman. Went to Woodbine last weekend...beautiful! Where near Redlodge do you camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
LFM-
DW grew up spending lots of time at East Rosebud Lake and really enjoyed it ... now, however, we are closer to the Bitterroots, Sapphires, and Flathead Valley.

If we get that way, we'll try to connect.

We are reluctant to leave our AS for extended periods in any campground... too many years of experience with the negative side of society, I guess. We often stretch out weekends to include leaving earlier on Friday to avoid the last minute "rushers" fighting for a spot ... most MT state campgrounds allow reserving in advance for an extra fee.
Sounds like more awesome camping to try out...Bitterroots and Flathead Valley! MeFly, was your bad experiences in Montana? Just curious.