Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PNPOD View Post
Dang I have to say, that's just sad HIHO.

Well I think we're just gonna skip going this weekend. I doubt we could even get a spot, and I certainly don't want to drive out there, trailer in tow, only to find nothing available. I can camp anytime, I certainly don't need to this particular weekend.
We decided this year to close the market ( https://www.facebook.com/Laurel.Farmers.Market ) on Mondays and Tuesdays so we could camp on NOT weekends. Join us up above Red Lodge, or up the Rosebuds some NOT weekend. Plenty of open spots during the weekdays.
Greg & Les

Old 05-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
LFM-
DW grew up spending lots of time at East Rosebud Lake and really enjoyed it ... now, however, we are closer to the Bitterroots, Sapphires, and Flathead Valley.

If we get that way, we'll try to connect.

We are reluctant to leave our AS for extended periods in any campground... too many years of experience with the negative side of society, I guess. We often stretch out weekends to include leaving earlier on Friday to avoid the last minute "rushers" fighting for a spot ... most MT state campgrounds allow reserving in advance for an extra fee.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Good choice....it's just the amateurs out anyway.

Bob
LOL, I feel better already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
Scot and Val,

Some of our Montana state parks will require a "first night occupied" rule to prevent holding sites with no use - but it is usually dependent on the camp host. On the other hand, you'll note almost all the state park campgrounds (again, Montana) have a number of "first come..." sites even though the best ones might already be reserved, and those will be available each day (the ones that open, of course). Some of the FS campgrounds aren't as picky, and you can do what you're thinking. Depending on where you think you might go, it's all just part of your learning adventure! You can usually find "somewhere" to spend the night, and might end up with a great weekend adventure, even if unplanned.
Thanks for the info OilnH2o. I'm sure we could find a spot for the Pea Pod, and we have seen some interesting DIY sites since starting our camping adventures. We camped last weekend (in the rain) and will go again next weekend (can't wait).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
We decided this year to close the market ( https://www.facebook.com/Laurel.Farmers.Market ) on Mondays and Tuesdays so we could camp on NOT weekends. Join us up above Red Lodge, or up the Rosebuds some NOT weekend. Plenty of open spots during the weekdays.
Greg & Les
Hi LFM!! You're our closest AS neighbors! Haven't been to the LFM, but would like to come out and say hi. We're still learning about all of the great local places to camp, but Rosebud is on our shortlist as Scott is a huge fly-fisherman. Went to Woodbine last weekend...beautiful! Where near Redlodge do you camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
LFM-
DW grew up spending lots of time at East Rosebud Lake and really enjoyed it ... now, however, we are closer to the Bitterroots, Sapphires, and Flathead Valley.

If we get that way, we'll try to connect.

We are reluctant to leave our AS for extended periods in any campground... too many years of experience with the negative side of society, I guess. We often stretch out weekends to include leaving earlier on Friday to avoid the last minute "rushers" fighting for a spot ... most MT state campgrounds allow reserving in advance for an extra fee.
Sounds like more awesome camping to try out...Bitterroots and Flathead Valley! MeFly, was your bad experiences in Montana? Just curious.

2PNPOD is offline   Reply With Quote