Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Leadville/Buena Vista/Salida, CO

Does anyone have any experiences with the campgrounds in this area? We want full hookups for maybe three nights. The websites make them all seem pretty dismal. All advice appreciated. Tom, and Frank
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I know the area and end up camping in Hillside, Colorado on private land because of the limited resources you mention. This part of the world (Leadville, BV, Salida) is incredibly beautiful with towering Collegiate Peaks all around.

There aren't alot of folks around this neck of the woods and the area is, generally, rural so your options are limited. National forest abounds, however, so if you are a boondocker you can be quite happy.

When do you plan on arriving?

There is actually a nice full hookup campground at:

Grape Creek RV Park
56491 Highway 69
Westcliffe, Colorado 81252
(719) 783-2588
Click for Web Site Here

Westcliffe is about 30 miles or so from Salida.

I've used their dump facilities and talked to a couple of folks camping there. Both my wife and I remarked on how pretty (yet open) the place was... Very clean but few trees. The owner was very nice.

Here's a map of the area:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mq-mapgend.websys.aol.com.gif
Views:	149
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	12972  
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:43 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

We'll probably be around the second week of July.

Appreciate your campground suggestion. Also, do you know the Sugar Loafin' RV Campground in Leadville?

Thanks...
Old 06-27-2005, 03:28 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

There is a campground in Leadville in called Sugarloafin that is out by turquoise lake that has full hookups, but it does not have direct lake access. It is a nice and generally full

Camping without hookups is available around turqoise

Camping with hookups in town is located at Leadville RV corral at 3rd and Harrison, not alot of scenery or grass, but it is right in town

There are a few campgrounds around Buena Vista, but I am not really famillar with them (there are probably 5-7 of them) some with direct river acess.

LeadvilleUSA.com is the leadville chamber (719) 486-3900 is their number.

Hard to say how the camping is, as I live here in Leadville (about .5 miles from Sugarloafin)

Howard
pm if you want to talk on the phone
chtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We're heading to Leadville on Monday after a stopover for the night in Raton, N.M.. We've yet to try camping with no hookups so we'll camp along the lake in Baby Doe campground in the national forest. We'll break in our new Yamaha EF3000 generator and see if we can live off of one tank of water and our propane for three or four days. After a year of pretty much camping with some sort of hookup this will be a fun learning experience. Sugarloafin is close should we cave in and require a full service park. We hope not, for a few days at least. We hope to run into some of you 'Streamers' on top of the world up there. Bring your warm clothing!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:42 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

if you want to stop by to top off the tanks at my house, just give me a jingle 970 406 1374. There is a dump site in town at the santiation offices. If you want some fishing guidance... just let me know to..

Have fun here at 10000 feet, the weather has been pretty decent.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
What a nice offer. Thank you so much. We may just do that too. We're bringing the fly rods and spin gear (wife) as I have some favorite streams I've fished in the past. The skinny water apeals if I could just master a roll cast. The Eagle just below Edwards is one of my favorites along with the Frying Pan (challenging). Question; do cellphones work in Leadville? I have Cingular both for my cell and my laptop. As I recall, the service was marginal in the Vail Valley. Found a bubble in my sidewall of the lead tire on the driver's side today so been busy replacing that one and working on checking the brakes and bearings while I'm at it. Always something when doing a "Pre Flight" it seems but surely didn't want problems on those mountain roads. Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:38 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

If you have cingular GSM no cell phones do not work. If you have an older att TDMA phone yes. Verizon works well. There is fishing closer than the Eagle right here in town. There is a new coffee shop in town that has free wi-fi. I am literally 1/2 mile Turquoise/Sugarloafin

Give me a call if you want any additional pre-arrival info.

Howard
Old 06-30-2005, 08:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Been several folks drowned in the Colorado runoff (and in NM, for that matter)... Some family lives just outside Turkey Creek and they report that the river flows are huge this year. The Arkansas is treacherous. The fishing might not be so good - roll cast or not.

But, the scenery is always great!

Have a fun and safe trip!
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chtucker
If you have cingular GSM no cell phones do not work.
I have Cingular GSM service and I didn't have a problem making calls in Leadville while there a few weeks ago. I have a new Nokia phone, if that makes a difference. I got great reception in Buena Vista. - Roy

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Hi, if you do want to do some free no-hookup camping near the Leadville Area, why not check out the Camp Hale area, birthplace of the 10th Mountain Division. It's about 20 miles down US24 towards Avon, just below Tennessee Pass. There are plenty of flat places to camp along the road towards the north of the valley, and you can usually cosy up to the river.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Thanks all. I know we're pushing it a little when it comes to the runoff but we mainly want to get up and revisit some of our favorite Colorado places. I too have a new Nokia with Cingular so we'll take what we get. It's always nice to use the Cingular wireless card in our laptop to send friends and relative notes "From The Silver Bullet". No phone or TV might just be what the doctor ordered though as there are plenty of books piled up that need reading in the quiet of the high country. We've been to the Camp Hale area and will revisit with camping in mind for the future. Thanks for that reminder. chtucker, we'll give ya a shout as we progress onward and upward. I'll be interested in your "Fishing Guidance" too whether it may be advice or guide service. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Also try the Arkansas Headwater Recreation area campground near Salida. Completely primitive in the terms of services, but a beautiful area, and right on the river. I've never been in there with a trailer, but if memory serves, you should have no problems getting one in there.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:23 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Unhappy Okay, here's another question about that CO area...

Will I be able to navigate my Excursion and 28' trailer from Twin Lakes to Aspen along Rte 82? Supposed to be beautiful and could do daytrip but my whole trip would be easier if I could pull Lucy that way... slowly... Tom (and Frank)
Old 07-06-2005, 09:56 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
Will I be able to navigate my Excursion and 28' trailer from Twin Lakes to Aspen along Rte 82? Supposed to be beautiful and could do daytrip but my whole trip would be easier if I could pull Lucy that way... slowly... Tom (and Frank)

I've never pulled a trailer over Independance Pass, but I've driven it enough to know that the road is very winding and gets excessively narrow in spots...just BARELY wide enough for two cars. There will be times where with a trailer, you'll have to take up a good part of the oncoming lane. If you choose to drive it, I'd try very early in the morning, when there's little traffic to deal with. Maybe at or just after sunrise. Also a beautiful time of day for the big mountains. - Roy

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
Old 07-07-2005, 09:02 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

PLEASE NO!

I have pulled a 16' car trailer and it was not fun,

Indy is limited to a total length of 35'. If I recall my Excursion is 20 or so feet on its own?

PLEASE don't it is very dangerous, and it is a 40 minute drive from the firehouse (I am a career firefighter with Leadville/Lake County Fire Rescue)

I would welcome you to the area though. It looks faster, but you have to drive so slow it takes just a little less time. From Glenwood Springs it is about 2hrs by I-70 to Leadville and 1:45 over independence pass.

It is worth the side trip though. The other issue is finding a place to stop in Aspen to socialize with the rich and famous with a trailer. I would reccommend finding a spot to drop it for a bit, getting lunch in Aspen and taking the drive.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for your response. I know Aspen and have plans there, it just makes a difference in our itinerary. We'll do a day trip over there and then head to Glenwood ultimately by I-70. I really do appreciate the information!
Old 07-12-2005, 06:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
RFIELD54...DO NOT DO THIS! After driving I.P. this past week w/o our trailer, I can assure you that if you do this it will be a disaster! Take heed from CHTucker and just drive your tow vehicle. The Aspen side of the pass is one lane at best, in certain areas and with blind corners! Aspen is very crowded with vehicles, bikes, joggers and narrow streets. Should you approach Aspen from the West, there is a traffic jam just past the airport. While driving West out of town in tthe traffic moved smoothly.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Trust me...I wasn't planning on it. My post did NOT recommend it.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
Old 07-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Ooops! Sorry for directing my reply incorrectly!