Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Laundry???

just wondering are the laundry matts in campgrounds nice at all??? or has anyone put washer and dryers in their airstreams???
jeffshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We find most are adequate.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, most are adequate, some better than others.

Frequently I prefer a commercial laundromat, because of the large capacity washers. Just easier and less expensive.

Maggie.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
As for installing a washer and dryer, I've seen a couple of Class As and 5th-wheels that have them, but even for full-timers I don't think they'd be worth the expense— or the weight penalty— of carrying them around.

How many loads of laundry could I do in a laundromat for the price of installing my own washer and dryer in my Airstream? And if I had the room for a washer and dryer, how many spare sets of clothing could I carry in the same space instead?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i have also found them to be well cared for. i had one event when i was the first one to use the washer after some plumbing work was done. i'd say the water hardness or sulfur smell might be worth checking before washing.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
State parks, etc. may not have a laundry at all, but the nearest town is almost certain to have a laundromat. I find the Yellow Pages app on my phone to be invaluable.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The laundries are usually pretty clean, it's the prior users' scented detergents and fabric softeners that find their way into our clothes that concern us. He has sensitivities to them that affect his breathing.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
When we spent 4 months on the road, we used exclusively, campground laundry facilities. The only issue that we had was that they are pretty harsh on our clothes. I think it's just the top loader washers, and the hot as heck driers that did the damage. But if we didn't put the driers on "high" setting, nothing seemed to dry. No big deal, we're just talking about wear and tear on t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc..
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshaw View Post
just wondering are the laundry matts in campgrounds nice at all???
In my experience, it varies widely from one campground to the next.

Quote:
or has anyone put washer and dryers in their airstreams???
Large class As and large 5ers sometimes have a Splendide combination washer/dryer -- a single drum machine that both washes and drys. Fulltimers who use them are divided on their usefulness. Cycle time is long and load size is small. They work best for people who wear lightweight clothes and wash a small load every day or two. Not well suited to washing a week's worth of denim jeans.

Occasionally someone reports putting one in an Airstream, but they do use a good deal of space, and in practice, require full hookups.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Of course, if must do your own laundry in the Airstream, there's that old reliable standby— a five-gallon bucket with a (clean) plumber's plunger for an agitator, and a clothesline.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Having had a class A motor home with a W/D & a couple RV's without, yes for the W/D combo. My wife is laundry fussy & we both miss that perk. In an Airstream it could be done starting with 50 AMP service & using a lot of precious space. We've found campground laundry facilities satisfactory but often times busy, so we do laundry in the very early AM & beat the crowd.
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Of course, if must do your own laundry in the Airstream, there's that old reliable standby— a five-gallon bucket with a (clean) plumber's plunger for an agitator, and a clothesline.
You beat me to the draw.
Add a tight fitting lid for the 5 gal bucket and the agitation can be provided by the ride if you're travelling.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #13
RivetingTravels

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 30' International
Richmond , Virginia
Laundry Pod

When we were on the road for 5 weeks, we were happy with the Laundry Pod that we took along with us.

WBCCI 22386 | SKP 111234 | Follow Us!
BlogFacebookTwitterInstagram
RivetingTrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I like using local Landrymats. You meet the nicest people, sometimes. They are usually in better working condition than the machines in parks.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Almost never run out of clean clothes.

The sink, shower, or a 5 gallon bucket in a pinch. ( Dr. Bonners Soap) I use lawn chairs as a clothes line. I guess some ritzy " resort " campgrounds might have laws against clothes lines, but they will have laundry facilities.

Because of the smell, I bring a designated set of clothes for campfires.

The town I live in has an ordinance against clotheslines
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
The sink, or a 5 gallon bucket in a pinch. ( Dr. Bonners Soap) I use lawn chairs as a clothes line. I guess some ritzy " resort " campgrounds might have laws against clothes lines, but they will have laundry facilities.

The town I live in has an ordinance against clotheslines
Does it have an ordinance against blow-dryers? They'll dry clothes almost as easily as they dry hair. I use one sometimes for that purpose. Especially good for wet socks, since you can slip the top of the sock over the end of the dryer, turn on the dryer (low heat), and let the heated air blow through the cloth like a leaky balloon.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
When full timing with the ex we would sometimes run a cycle of washing machine cleaner without clothing with unknown machines. As hot as possible. Then do our washing. Didn't add a terrible amount of time or expense.

I find that the use of water softener in every load tends to help with unknown machines. And Tide HE liquid in a smaller amount than recommended.

At the park where I am at present the majority here are at work on refinery storage expansion. The park cleans the machines regularly. So I'd ask the management their maintenance on these machines.

That said I can usually find a new laundromat with the truly large front load washers. My experience is that these are the least used, and in best shape due to their expense.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As for installing a washer and dryer, I've seen a couple of Class As and 5th-wheels that have them, but even for full-timers I don't think they'd be worth the expense— or the weight penalty— of carrying them around.

How many loads of laundry could I do in a laundromat for the price of installing my own washer and dryer in my Airstream? And if I had the room for a washer and dryer, how many spare sets of clothing could I carry in the same space instead?
The little all in one washers ARE SO SMALL, we gave up on ours and used the campground laundry, could get it all done at once.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I like using local Landrymats. You meet the nicest people, sometimes. They are usually in better working condition than the machines in parks.
I also found if you go by the local wuashateria, there are some folks, usually ladies there, who are 'overseeing' the operation. They will charge you by 'weight' for doing the laundry for you. Turns out they usually know what they are doing.. I get clothes back neatly folded and if I ask, on hangers (I bring hangers to them).. I have even had some do 'ironing' for us...

I like the idea that I can give my wife and I a 'day off' from the chore... otherwise, we hit the Park washing facilities.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetingTrvl View Post
When we were on the road for 5 weeks, we were happy with the Laundry Pod that we took along with us.
Interesting, a 6 1/2 lb washing machine. Not much weight penalty there and a little exercise too. Not bad at all.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote