Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...

Old 02-19-2016, 06:02 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1954 22' Safari
Curtis Wright
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Latest and Greatest Travel App for iPhone and iPad?

Getting ready to travel South very soon, and I am looking for the latest and greatest Travel App for my iPhone and iPad? Any suggestions?

StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
Huntsville , Alabama
Allstays Camp & RV app works for locating campgrounds etc. If you are looking for a good RV/Truck GPS system I do not have a good answer, however, I am interested in what others have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Ron A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Allstays, all the information is available free from other sources but it is nice to have it all in one place. For interested military folks their Military Campground app is free.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member
2016 27' International
Columbia , South Carolina
Google maps is what we use. We like that it now shows red when there is traffic, and that it also shows road closures. If you are traveling on routes you have never been on, you could also use Msps 3D to see a 3D topo veiw of the route. We took an alternate route years back that lead us into a windy steep road that we would have avoided if we would have know how bad it was.
I am curious to hear what others are using!
dazwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Ron A View Post
Allstays Camp & RV app works for locating campgrounds etc. If you are looking for a good RV/Truck GPS system I do not have a good answer, however, I am interested in what others have to say.
AllStays actually has several apps, including "Camp & RV" to locate campgrounds, "Truck & Travel" to locate truck stops, "Overnight Parking Walmart" to find any Walmart and indicate if it allows overnight parking, "Camp & Tent" for those people looking for tent-only campgrounds, "RV Dumps" to locate dump stations, "Rest Stops Plus" to locate highway rest areas, "Military Camp & RV" for military campgrounds, "Finding Costco" to find Costco stores, and a few others.

They all work together as well. If you load multiple AllStays apps onto your phone and/or tablet, you can display them all on the same map at the same time, or use the "filter" function to only display the categories you want to see. No need to switch from one app to the next to find campgrounds and Walmarts, for example.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Another vote for AllStays.

I also love the PocketEarth app for navigation, which allows you to drop colored bullets at locations of your choice, also tracks your movement real-time, internet signal or not.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master
2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Allstays (RV and Truck), Campendium(web), Public Lands (not much in the east).

Web links - each states DOT site for road conditions, Harvest Hosts, Days End, Recreation.Gov, USFS
2015 Classic
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Another great app for selecting individual campsites to reserve (or for just getting a feel for the atmosphere of a campground) is CampsitePhotos.com. Not all campgrounds are included since it depends on uploads from individual campers but I am finding that more and more are. Many thanks to a dedicated individual(s?) here in SC who has uploaded photos of every single campsite for each of many of our state parks.

FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Trucker Path is pretty good though not for finding campgrounds. It does have rest areas, fuel stops, overnight parking, rv dump stations, and links to websites for each. I use it along with Allstays.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Someone else mentioned Harvest Host to me recently but it looks like their website has expired. It sounded like a great app.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #11
Refugee from Napa, CA
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Campendium just celebrated their first year anniversary and they continue to get better. All-Stays is the classic.
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Sonoma , California
Harvest Hosts is alive and well. https://harvesthosts.com
Ecodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
We like and use Allstays. I also have found Googling RV campgrounds for towns and cities also works well to find some that are not on Allstays. I did that and found a fairly new and very nice campground near Alexandria, La that was not on Alstays. The owner told me that, at the present time, they could not afford to pay the required fee to be listed. Not every RV campground you will find on any website is as nice as advertised. We have come across some real dumps.
Will ~ "Blue Skies"
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB International
Prospect , Virginia
GPS for towing

Co-Pilot is a GPS system used by a lot of truckers. You can select your default vehicle and it will route you based on your vehicle's overall size. Google Maps has gotten us into to tight spots or taken us under low clearance bridges.

HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote