Old 02-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
AllStays is a little costly and, frankly, a little over-engineered for me. What I would love to have and so far can't find is an app that works like Waze for RV'ers - I enter my destination and the app provides me with key information using knowledge from a small profile I would enter - type of TV, type of trailer, (or motorhome), my preferences for camping (we like a full service RV camp others like rest-stops or public parks), etc.. Then it would give me 3 alternatives by driving time based on traffic ahead & weather (not just miles). If I want to be set up and cooking dinner after 6 hours of travel then I have 2-3 parks I can stay at with a phone number and web address. I also get good spots to stop for gas given the mileage it would calculate based on my profile. It would also give me info on wind directly & speed. Hey - it's not there but I can dream!

Old 02-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
What about. . . .

What about tunnels or bridges that don't allow propane or other (non vehicle) gas tanks? Is there an app that warns you where these issues are?

And what exactly is the rule about pulling a trailer with propane tanks? Can you just not travel in certain tunnels / bridges or is it OK if you stop and turn the tanks off before going through / over?

What about the rules in Canada?

BTW, I recently made a camping reservation in NY and the owner warned me that anything labeled as a "Parkway" in NY is restricted to cars only - no trucks, trailers, RVs, etc. How is someone from out of the state supposed to know this?? Apparently it's a fairly new rule, which makes me wonder if the apps know about it. . . .

Old 02-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
AllStays is a little costly and, frankly, a little over-engineered for me.
My philosophy on that is, you only have to buy it once, then the more you use it the less it costs per use. Allstays was one of the first apps I installed on my smartphone when I got it in November 2014, and I've used it many times since then not only for finding campsites for myself, but also for finding rally venues for my WBCCI unit.

Or look at it another way… the first time the app shows you a less expensive but acceptable quality campground in your destination area, the app has paid for itself by saving you money on camping fees.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1949 22' Liner
1959 18' Traveler
Seal Rock , Oregon
iExit helps with knowing what is coming up at each exit off the highway
Old 02-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Allstays

WOW
Just now downloaded the Allstays app
As always great information on this forum
This falls under the "things I didn't know I needed"
I paid the 9.99 (the price of 4 gallons of gass)
Looked at and used the app for a few minutes and I like what I see
Old 02-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
I use two applications - AllStays to review/choose places to camp along the way, and InRoute to plot route alternatives. If you choose to enter projected layover times, InRoute calculates arrival days/times for each stop along your route. (I used this feature last year when we had a inflexible arrival deadline for one of our destinations, 2500 miles away - otherwise, I don't bother). InRoute also provides snapshot views of elevations and weather along the route.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #21

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
For navigation purposes my vote goes to Co-Pilot. It has options for customizing the vehicle type, ranking road preferences (interstate, highway, secondary, surface streets), alternate route suggestions, and manual routing or re-routing), downloads and stores the maps internally so it works even in areas where there is no cell service (and there are a lot of those in the southwest and mountain states, especially if you get off of the interstates), and you only have to download and store the map or map portions you need so it saves precious storage space in your iPhone or iPad.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Wow nobody likes RV Parky. It gives us the info we need including Walmart locations. I will have to try Allstays.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sarasota , Florida
Camp Finder

We travel six months a year and rely on Camp Finder. Plug in a city, it will find campgrounds within a certain radius.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Y me tambien para Allstays. (Best Spanish I've done in years!)
Old 02-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
For navigation purposes my vote goes to Co-Pilot. It has options for customizing the vehicle type, ranking road preferences (interstate, highway, secondary, surface streets), alternate route suggestions, and manual routing or re-routing), downloads and stores the maps internally so it works even in areas where there is no cell service (and there are a lot of those in the southwest and mountain states, especially if you get off of the interstates), and you only have to download and store the map or map portions you need so it saves precious storage space in your iPhone or iPad.

Are you using the $150 version? If so it sounds like you think it's a good value. About half the cost of a dedicated GPS box.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I use Allstays Camp and RV but also own the Truck and Travel version. I only use Camp and RV because it has everything the Truck and Travel version has, except for a few items like truck repair shops which I don't use anyway. It also has all the Walmarts, etc. it really is great.

I also use iExit. It is from the folks who published the books, it's excellent as well. There is another app called Coverage, which will give you cell coverage for the various carriers. And of course the weather apps.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I used Copilot for many years, it was excellent. I now use a Garmin, using Basecamp to route the trip then download into the Garmin.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #28
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Do any of these aps come with a monthly fee or an annual update fee? Thinking about another "subscription". If we were full timing that would be less of an issue. Casual use is another matter.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote