Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Last week's *spot*

I camped last weekend at KARS park - Kennedy Athletic, Recreation and Social park - a NASA facility in Merritt Island. I like camping there because it's so quiet and relaxing. It's located on the Banana river, directly across from the port. You see the cruise ships and hear them blowing their horns when departing. Last time I was there, a gator was about 15' from my site. I only noticed when I heard a loud crunch and caught him in the middle of a turtle snack. Gross. I brought my dogs inside for awhile after that!

Like my jerry-rigged "grey tank"? Got my adapter this week so I will be able to use a more *refined* system this weekend.

Nice and level, huh? Didn't notice until I already unhitched...

Dog's were a bit put-out when I made them stay inside until Mr. Gator moseyed off. Don't they look pathetic?

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Great looking spot. Good idea to keep the "pathetic" looking dogs inside when you did. Do any fishing?

It looks like you were a little over in inch low on the curb side. That will effect the efficiency of the refrigerator. We always check for side to side level before we unhook. We build a ramp with Lynx Levelers to compensate for the difference.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Fishing pole is on my Christmas list. I could hear the neighbors yelling about some trout! That would have been nice for dinner!

Yes, I need to add "check for level" to my unhitching list! I have two 1x6's to level with - I'll have to check out the Lynx Levelers (never heard of them). Thanks for the idea!

Laura
Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great looking spot.

The Lynx Levelers are great. I use them to level the AS (side-to-side), change flats on the AS, change oil in the Subs. I've used the Lynx Levelers 4 times now to change flats on my 25FB; I would have been screwed without them. I bought a second set to make a ramp to run the Suburban up onto for oil changes. You can find them at Wal-Mart.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Funkill,
Nice site and very nice looking trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
...a gator was about 15' from my site. I only noticed when I heard a loud crunch and caught him in the middle of a turtle snack. Gross. I brought my dogs inside for awhile after that!
Better the turtle than the "pathetic" dogs.

Up here in PA we get the occasional black bear moseying through or a random rattle snake or copperhead. But I think I would be a little freaked out if I saw a gator outside the door if my Airstream. Depending on the size of the 'gator, our beagle would be just a snack.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
This past week's spot: Ft. Pierce, FL

This weekend I met some of my family at the Savannas Recreation Area. This was my longest trip thus far: 210 miles round trip. Started badly - finding only running lights on trailer. An hour of troubleshooting showed no power to blinkers/brakes at 7-way connector at truck. Trip to Nissan service revealed a blown fuse (that I was unaware even existed). Three hours late leaving meant I spent the last 15 miles pulling in the dark (a first), in traffic, narrow lanes, much road construction and a new area. White nuckled it into the park and found a pull-through spot that was adequate for the night. Moved to a better site the next morning. Park was nice, on the marsh but few trees. Lots of people were in canoe's and kayak's, fishing and having some nice fires. It was cool and found some gators here too. Must be a Florida thing - think? Trip home was uneventful. Well, except observing that finding gas stations with pump configurations suited for my skills are few-and-far between. That needs to be planned better prior to next outing! Here's a pic of my final site setup....