Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...

Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Gotta add the museum to my bucket list.

By all means go to Tobermory and take the glass bottom boat tour of the harbor (if they still have them).

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Gotta add the museum to my bucket list.

By all means go to Tobermory and take the glass bottom boat tour of the harbor (if they still have them).

They still have the tours. The tour around the harbour and out to the Flower Pots (rock formations) was excellent. There is hiking available on the island as well, good spots for swimming, and a picnic.

MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It looks like many people have done the dive to the Edmund Fitzgerald, both in submersibles and not. There are a lot of videos on the subject, and the show "Dive Detectives" for one, went there in SCUBA. Not your usual sport dive, of course.

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #18
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've not camped in the Bruce Peninsula, but have visited it a couple of times. It is full of beautiful Great Lakes scenery. In fact, in the northern parts, you could easily watch the sunrise over Georgian Bay, then catch the sunset over Lake Huron.

But, if you hike, you gotta check out the Bruce Trail! It goes the length of the Niagara escarpment, all the way from southern Ontario to the tip of the peninsula at Tobermory.

Parts of the Trans-Canada trail should be close to you, as well, although I think a lot of it is still on roads.

Explore and learn more about the Trans Canada Trail, one of Canada?s truly great endeavours
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Whitefish bay is on the Michigan side of lake Superior not the Canadian side. And yes, 500 feet is well below the depth of recreational diving.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I just stumbled across this thread again and had to comment.

One of my best adventures was traveling up the Bruce peninsula on my BMW motorcycle in 1978 on my way to the BMW national rally in Brainard, Mn. I planned on catching the ferry first thing in the morning. Well I missed the ferry. It was a good thing. I had a nice breakfast, overlooking big tub and little tub harbor, and then took the glass bottom boat tour to view the sunken ships in the harbor and tour the flower pot islands.

When I was waiting for the ferry, I met an older couple traveling in an Avion truck camper. I still remember the birch interior. It was really cool.

Anyhow this past summer my wife and I went up to the UP and spent some time there in early July- not the best time to go, too many black flies and mosquitoes. We had camped 3 or 4 days in national forest campgrounds and the black flies and mosquitoes were a major problem. We went to Munising and camped at the city park, cuz they said no flies or mosquitoes. They were correct. We had a great time there; stayed for 5 days. Can't wait to get back up there next summer and go to Copper Harbor.

Here are some photos.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0609.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	221350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	221351  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0560.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	221352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0650.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	221353  

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #21
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We spent one night at the Munising city park in late July. No black flies but it sure was cold and windy the night we were there. In the morning we were moving on and before we left we took the boat ride to see the painted rocks. By then the wind had died down but it was still on the cold side but since the sun was out we had a great boat trip and view of the rocks. The next few days were much better visiting Mackinaw area. This was our first visit to the UP. Had a great time.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
The show that I watched on the wreck a couple of years ago indicated that you are not allowed to dive to the wreck, in that it had been declared a memorial.

Now I don't know anything about diving...but 530' feet sounds very deep.
As a trained commercial diver I can tell you that 530 feet is about 4X the maximum depth for experienced veteran sport divers. It would be a mixed gas dive as you cannot breath air at that pressure and stay sober. It would be an excursion dive from a submersible and require long decompression time afterwards.

Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote