Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Lake Superior North Shore

Page and I plan to head North after leaving Alumapalooza, stopping at Macinaw City then touring Mackinac Island before crossing at Sault Ste Marie.

Any of my Northern friends have suggestions for Provincial Parks where kayaking and hiking in beautiful country would be possible? Any other highlights to be seen would be welcomed also.

Alumapalooza ends June 5th; we'll have the rest of June to fool around up there.

Thanks - Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
There are many great places to kayak and hike along the North shore of Superior. One of the best is Puskaskwa (sp) National Park. Incredible kayaking there. Stop by Naturally Superior Outfitter in Michipocoten. They outfit many trips along the coast and can give you much info. Lake Superior Prov. Park has good kayaking. You can go across to the Slate Islands Prov. park. It's about a 6 km crossing if you are brave or charter a ferry. There are many more along the coast. These are some of my favorites. Top on the list is Puskaskwa National Park. Great hiking and the best kayaking in the mid-west. Have fun.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Michigan has a state park campground that is located right after you cross the bridge and is a great place to stay while visiting Macinaw Island. I don't know about the north shore but the south shore of Superior on the Michgan side has great kayaking too. Pictured rocks national shore at Munising is great. Also around Presque Isle park in Marquette. I will watch this thread as well to see what others post specifically to your question on the Canadian side as I plan to go there this year as well and we kayak wherever we camp.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Try Wilderness State Park just east of Mackinaw City. It's right on the Lake Michigan shore and you get a beautiful view of the Mackinaw bridge from the sandy shores that are part of he park.
2011 25 Flying Cloud #525456
2010 F150 Lariat SCAB, 5.4L, 3.55:1
Forger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
You will want to consider:

Lake Superior Provincial Park:
Lake Superior

Pukaskwa National Park:
Parks Canada - Pukaskwa National Park

Neys Provincial Park:
Neys

Sleeping Giant Provincial Park:
Sleeping Giant

I would second the advice to contact Naturally Superior Adventures:
Naturally Superior Adventures- your Lake Superior experts! - Naturally Superior Adventures

and there is another:
Black Feather - Lake Superior Provincial Park Kayaking Trip | Lake Superior Kayaking | Lake Superior

Have a great vacation.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Agree Ranger Jay and others. We just Luv the North Shore of Superior, especially in Sept.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
We are , Relaxed
you might want to check and see if the black flies are out. They could spoil a trip.

Michigan Bugs and Insect Index - Just how bad are Michigan bugs and insects?
Bug Report: Black Flies - The Weather Network

Dean
Old 05-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
And when the black flies are at their best, they drive the moose out of the bush to the roadside and boy, hitting one of those will REALLY do your day in. All the links above are good ones, the whole north shore should be on everyone's must do list, you wont regret it.......Phil
Old 05-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd tighe View Post
you might want to check and see if the black flies are out. They could spoil a trip.

Michigan Bugs and Insect Index - Just how bad are Michigan bugs and insects?
Bug Report: Black Flies - The Weather Network

Dean
Yes - Black Flies (and mosquitos) can be a nuisance during their peak times - but - as someone who's lived in Black Fly country all his adult life I'm gonna say that they don't have to spoil a trip - but they may change some of the planning.

Peak time is mid-May/June - but they can persist all summer if the weather stays wet - or they quickly dwindle to nothing if the weather becomes hot and dry.

Recognizing that your stated interest is kayaking then I really doubt you are going to have any problems.

If base camping in car campgrounds then you might want to plan "around" them by doing your best to:
  • camp in the open on a shoreline site to take advantage of any on-shore breeze - you can find these kinds of campsites in Agawa Bay Campground of Lake Superior Park and Neys. You might want to take advantage of the park reservations system not so much to get a jump on the crowds but to take advantage of the more desirable sites. The Pukaskwa campground is quite forested (although I understand they've opened it up a bit since our last visit) and inland from the water - but the park is close enough to Neys to be taken advantage of on a day basis. The Sleeping Giant campground is on an inland lake with sites on the water that you can take advantage of - as before - take advantage of the reservation system.
  • if they are a bother then make sure you wear light, not dark clothing - long sleeved shirts and pants - also good to wear a hat.
  • don't wash your hair as much as you'd like to.
  • use a bug repellent with Deet
  • consider alternate campsite activities on cloudy wet days when they are at their worst.
  • some people swear by a Vitamin B complex - particularly B6 - never tried it so I don't know.
Black flies or not - it would be pretty tough not to have the trip of a lifetime along the Lake Superior coastline.

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 05-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Maple Plain , Minnesota
North Shore Lake Superior

Lots of good advice given. If you have the time while in Ontario look at the town of Nipigon. You can camp at the marina on the river or at Red Rock just a short distance away and kayak Nipigon Bay and the barrier islands.

If you get up to Big Bridge crossing Lake Mich and feel pressured for time, enjoy the South shore of Superior and Lake Michigan. It's rugged and predominately wilderness shoreline with lots of state parks and National Forest c/g's.

Both shores in both countries have great lighthouses to explore too.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Keep 'em coming, guys - I really appreciate this.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Departing from the kayak theme ...... there area couple of other sites you may want to take in:

Sault Ste. Marie: Bush Plan Museum: if into the relationship between the bush plane and the opening up of Canadian Wilderness - well - this is pretty much a must see ......
Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre - Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada - Home

Eagle Canyon: if you are into thrills - this place is it .....
Eagle Canyon Adventures - Home

Ouimet Canyon Provincial Park: this is spectacular - a short drive off the highway - and day-use only - but also a must-see - you won't regret the side trip ....
Ouimet Canyon

Thunder Bay: Terry Fox Memorial: Nothing more to say about this - an emotional place if you are Canadian - right on the highway - spectacular lookout over the Sleeping Giant ......
Terry Fox Monument

Thunder Bay: Old Fort William: A lot of Canadian history is rooted in the romance and colour of the Voyageur and the Fur Trade - this facility is the largest of its kind in Canada - and to say it is well done is a significant understatement ......
Fort William Historical Park

There - you have exhausted my entire knowledge of the North Shore .....

As before - have the trip of a lifetime.

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
My wife and I loved our Lake Superior Circle trip 3 years ago. It was a natural for us as our favorite place in the US of A is the Bayfield, WI area by the Apostle Islands and Chequamegan Bay area. I'm not a kayaker, but there are allot of them in this area.

Anyway, we really liked the Canadian side of this trip. All the provincial parks have been pointed out to you, but no one has pointed out one standout Park feature they all seem to have in common. Most campsites share a power outlet post with a neighboring site. Many of these posts are a long way from the campsite, and I do mean a long, long, way. We used the standard cord, plus another 30', 10 gauge extension cord and a 12 gauge 25' extension cord. This combination was long enough only after backing the trailer nearly into the trees (the bush). I noticed the "regulars" had custom made cords of 10 gauge that were 50 or more feet long.

Also, without reservations, these campsites fill up fast and early.

In MN, go up the Gunflint Trail and experience some of the Boundary Waters lakes. I like Big Sag (Saganon).

Have fun in the most beautiful place on Earth!

JimW

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
ALUMINUT

2006 22' International CCD
Radcliff , Kentucky
Hi Pat,

If your doing the North Shore drive stop off in Duluth Mn. There is shop on the water front in Duluth called Duluth Pack. The folks there can give you great information on hiking, and kayaking in the area. That is my home and I will be there in August, can't wait. Have a great time!

Bonnie