Old 08-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Lake Superior Circle Tour

After much indecision, we have decided to take Gypsy up North in mid-September centering for a few days in our loved Grand Marais, MN. I'd like to make the Lake Superior Circle Tour while we are on the road, and would like any pointers you all could give us. Max doesn't think we can make this trip in the two weeks we have, but what do those of you who have done this think? What are the Must Sees if we have to pare down the stops to fit the two weeks? We know the trip well from Duluth up the North Shore Drive to ThunderBay, ON. What are best campgrounds, scenic highlights, drives we should not miss on the rest of the trip across Ontario to the Soo Locks and on down through the UP and to the Apostle Islands? Can we do this in 2 weeks or should we just opt out for the North Shore and save the rest for a more leisurely time? Am I right in thinking we only need our birth certificates to get into Canada and back into the States? Thanks for your input! ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Depends on how much you like driving... It's a long way around Superior.

Last summer we worked our way around the north shore from Duluth, MN to Grand Marais, MI in just under two weeks. Did not feel like we were able to spend enough time in each location - drive to park ratio was too high. Would love to do it again and take three or four weeks.

In Canada, we stayed at Ontario Provincial Parks (Sleeping Giant and Rabbit Blanket). Enjoyed the parks but make sure that you take extra extension cords (at least two!).

We have some pictures posted here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kayakmark/sets/765009/

Lake Superior photos start with this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/kayakma...in/set-765009/

- Mark

Old 08-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
http://www.midnrreservations.comRemember that fall is peak tourist time on the lake and reservations are a must. I would recomend a stop in Copper Harbor Mich at Ft. Wilkens State Park. The Poucupine Mt. State Park is great. The same link will reserve it as well.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Mark, you went up the North Shore drive and around to GM, MI? Can you recommend campgrounds-especially some on the lake front? Thanks. Great photos
Bradjun1, I guess I was naive, thinking that after Labor Day would be a quieter time. I didn't consider fall folliage crowds. Hmmmmmm.
Are there any recommended stops and campgrounds on the drive from Thunderbay to SSM?
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Mark, you went up the North Shore drive and around to GM, MI? Can you recommend campgrounds-especially some on the lake front? Thanks. Great photos
My wife took the good pictures - I took the rest.... :-)

Where we stayed was dictated by travel distance and the desire to spend at least a couple of nights at each stop.

In Duluth we stayed at a boat yard that has campsites during the summer. Great location within sight of the aerial bridge. (http://www.lakeheadboatbasin.com/rv.html)

Just (relatively...) past Thunder Bay we stayed at Sleeping Giant Provincial Park. The park is on/near the water - depends on the campsite. It is a big park but we never felt crowded. (http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/slee.html)

Then we stayed at Rabbit Blanket Provicial Park. Rabbit Blanket is not on Lake Superior but on another small lake. It is a much smaller campground. There is a larger campground further east that is on Lake Superior but we had heard that is was quite close to the highway with associated truck noise. (http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/lakes.html)

From there we we went to the Michigan Upper Peninsula and stayed at the city campground in Grand Marais. (http://www.grandmaraismichigan.com/R...odlandpark.htm)

- Mark
Old 08-16-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
When on the south side of the lake try Dalrymple campground near Bayfield Wisconsin. It is a small city-owned campground right on the lake. Lots of tree, beautiful view, and near the town. I think they have electricity at many of the sites, a common water fill location, but no dump station. Bayfield is the "gateway" to the Apostle Islands, and boat tours or charters are available along with fishing, shopping, and nice views. Have fun!