Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Lake Superior Camping - US vs Canada

Hello all,

We are planning to travel from Ohio to the Upper Peninsula for the first time this coming June. We would like to stay on Lake Superior either at a remote campground or boondocking for 3-4 days. We like the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore but cannot seem to be able to make a reservation yet. We also wondered what it’s like along the Canadian coast and if anyone can give any comparisons. We would really appreciate any input for this area!

Steve
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We liked the campground I have pasted in below from their website. Well maintained, Not boondocking, but not far from it either. You will like being close to some civilization in the UP. We did the Picture Rocks area from the fairgrounds during the Rally at Escanaba so I do not know campgrounds in that area. The boat ride was the trip for there for me. We went back for another day trip along the road too. Lots of driving for a few stops. I am too old for the kayaks and Lake Superior is cold, but it sure looked like fun if you can do it.

Copper Harbor is worth going to and about 60 miles from Lanse. Houghton is a nice town and has a good mine tour. Calumet has some stuff to offer. Marquette is a nice town and well worth a day trip. Your comments about Canada make me think that you may be going further than the UP. We drove up the shore to just short of the Canada border. From there we turned west and did norther MN. We stayed at two large county parks along the lake north of Deluth. I could find the names if you are interested but they will stand out if you just look. I have never been to Isle Royal because we travel with a dog. If you do not have pets you might consider the boat trip to there, either from Houghton-Hancock for from the Thunder bay / Port Arthur area. (whatever Port Arthur is called now).

L'Anse Township Park and Campground - For Information Please Call: (906) 524-6985
Located 3 miles north of L'Anse on the Skanee Road is the L'Anse Township Park and Campground. The park is situated on a sloping hillside which offers a beautiful view of Lake Superior and Keweenaw Bay. Historically, it is the site of the first trading post and the original townsite of L'Anse. We're sure you'll find the L'Anse Township Park and Campground the perfect place for family camping and recreation!

What we offer at the L'Anse Township Park and Campground
**Open Until Mid-October**
*30 modern campsites with 20, 30 and 50amp electrical hook-ups
*Shower Building
*Pavilion
*Playground
*Lake Superior Beach and Shoreline area
*Firewood
*RV Dump Station
*Free Wi-Fi

Daily Cost for Camping
$15.00 for Tents
$20.00 for Travel Trailers and Motor Homes
Camping is available by the day or week.
CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
The North Shore of Lake Superior is a fabulous drive from Duluth to Sault Saint Marie. Several campsites along the way. Stay in Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park just outside Thunder Bay and start your drive from there.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
https://www.ontarioparks.com/parksbl...uperior-route/
Old 05-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I second L'anse Township Park. Pictures: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post2015002 Another campground right on the Lakeshore is Little Girl's Point.

If you like waterfalls, there are a series of five beautiful water falls on the Black River near Black River Harbor Campground. I'll be at Black River Harbor Campground this year over the Fourth of July weekend - right on the Lake. All of the falls are well marked with parking areas and a short well-groomed paths. We visited twenty waterfalls while in the U.P. in 2017. Pictures of eight of the waterfalls: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post2013713

I liked all the city park campgrounds in the UP. City of Houghton RV park was great. Definitely take a day trip to Copper Harbor. There is a beautiful waterfall on the way. There is also a bakery run by Catholic Monks that is awesome on the way to Copper Harbor: https://www.freep.com/story/news/col...tery/78371442/

I can't wait to go back up to the U.P. this summer.

I also recommend the lakeside drive up the Arrowhead of Minnesota. There are a series of State Parks on the way. I will be there in late July and August. Reservations are required well in advance to get into these campgrounds. Again, there are many beautiful waterfalls. A stop along that route is Betty's Pies. Wonderful food and pies. I think I went there three times in two days . . . its that delicious. Also did a day trip to Kakabeka Falls in Canada. Even if you cannot stay at the State Park Campgrounds, go visit each of them to see the waterfalls.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Wow! I just now looked at the notifications and saw all the replies. We shall read through these this evening. Thank you so much! [emoji120]

Steve and Debbie
Old 05-06-2019, 09:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Just to clarify, if we go into Canada it would be on the east side of the lake. I would love to go up toward Thunder Bay area, actually entirely around the lake, but the two of us are heading for Milwaukee, WI to attend a church conference. We plan to travel from northeastern Ohio to Artubus Beach Campground in MI for a Saturday night stay, then travel to UP for Sunday-Wednesday / Thursday. Then head to Milwaukee, WI to stay at the Wisconsin State Fair RV Park for Thursday-Saturday. The L’anse and Copper Harbor areas look great and the jam-making monks may be a definite! We are early 50’s, college age kids stay at home and take care of pets on this one, and we share the driving. 25’ FB 2006 Safari that we stayed in for a month last September for a west coast trip.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
How are the campgrounds and the shore lines in the Pancake Bay Area?
Old 05-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
Google reviews for Pancake Bay. Pancake Bay Reviews

I have not camped there personally, but we have stopped and swam at the beach. It is great.

If you go to Copper Harbor, make sure to go on Brockway Mountain Drive, it has great views of Lake Superior and you might even see a freighter.

Brockway Mountain Drive

If you like lighthouses, there is the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse
It has a small museum

Also a bit of trivia, the Keweenaw Peninsula was copper country, and when copper was king, Calumet Michigan was being considered as the capital of Michigan.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
Hello all,

We are planning to travel from Ohio to the Upper Peninsula for the first time this coming June. We would like to stay on Lake Superior either at a remote campground or boondocking for 3-4 days. We like the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore but cannot seem to be able to make a reservation yet. We also wondered what it’s like along the Canadian coast and if anyone can give any comparisons. We would really appreciate any input for this area!

Steve

We are quite familiar with the camping in the area between Munising and Grand Marais (right on Lake Superior). Lots to see and do- Pictured Rocks, waterfalls, scenic drives, etc.

Watch out for the mosquitoes! We went in late June and got eaten alive. We only found relief by going to the Munising City Park right on Lake Superior and at the same elevation. We stayed there for four days.

We really like Woodlands Park CG in Grand Marais. It is right in town so you can walk to stuff. It is a FCFS CG, so if you show up on Sunday or Monday no problem. A tip- if you show up on the weekend and they are full, there is overflow space right in front of the church.

Lots of great camping in the Hiawatha NF. We picked up a guidebook and map at the office on our way to Munising.

PM me if I can help.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	339960Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	339961Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0496.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	339962Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	339963
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We drive to NY state to visit a son and family every summer through Canada. We go into Canada through Sault Ste Marie, staying in the city campground of Aune Osborne Campground overnight before going into Canada the next morning. (there are 2 campgrounds right next to each other. First one is private, second one is city and cheaper with campsites on the river. You can watch big ships head in and out of the Sault Locks from the campground). It's usually a quick portal to Canada. We then have stayed in Algonquin Prov. Park a number of times doing that route. Our experience with that park is good, and easy to get into most of the time due to size and number of campgrounds there. Prov. parks prices have risen, so you may want to look at prices where you're going.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
Just to clarify, if we go into Canada it would be on the east side of the lake. I would love to go up toward Thunder Bay area, actually entirely around the lake, but the two of us are heading for Milwaukee, WI to attend a church conference. We plan to travel from northeastern Ohio to Artubus Beach Campground in MI for a Saturday night stay, then travel to UP for Sunday-Wednesday / Thursday. Then head to Milwaukee, WI to stay at the Wisconsin State Fair RV Park for Thursday-Saturday. The L’anse and Copper Harbor areas look great and the jam-making monks may be a definite! We are early 50’s, college age kids stay at home and take care of pets on this one, and we share the driving. 25’ FB 2006 Safari that we stayed in for a month last September for a west coast trip.
Lake Superior Provincial Park is a short drive north of Sault Ste. Marie. I haven't camped there in quite a while but am familiar with the coast of Lake Superior in that area (which is spectacular). I've posted some reviews from Campendium below. If you had the time, I would also recommend Pukaskwa National Park or Neys Provincial Park but both a day's drive north of Sault Ste. Marie.

https://www.campendium.com/agawa-bay-campground
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
We camped in a state park in Copper Harbor, Mi. last August. The park has two sections. each was nice. We took a ferry to Isle Royal departing from that area. 3-4 hour sail. Some folks go for just the day. We stayed at a lodge on Isle Royal overlooking Lake Superior for 4 nights. Fantastic experience visiting the island. Caz.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
The nicest parks on Lake Superior in Canada are the Provincial Parks or the Pukaskwa National park, but you will not likely get any services since they are usually fully reserved in the summer months. Most of the parks are Lake access or if you have a park permit it allows you to go to other provincial parks in the area for the period the permit is valid. If you can dry camp the rates are a bit less but you also have a 35% bonus in buying power with US vs CAN dollars.
There are a few private campsites near major centers, but you would need to check for reservations. Also Provincial sites are usually booked on Weekends and around our Holiday schedule. July 1st, Civic Holiday (1st Monday in August) and Sept 1st labor day.

Neys Provincial Park is a great for hiking, and Pukaskwa has several marvelous trails including a moderate to difficult 6 hour return hike to the suspension bridge over the White River, and several natural shoreline observation points. This park may have electrical and water on a first come basis but the dry camp sites are sunny enough for solar. Provincial parks are often tree lined sites and I had limited solar power for the few days I have spent there. Great natural beaches. They don't groom or remove logs from many areas of the beach....don't scavenge wood from the beaches...you will be kicked out!
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #15

2014 27' FB International
Riverside , California
We are big fans of State parks and stayed for several days in two along the shores of Lake Superior in late August 2018 that we would recommend - Muskallonge Lake SP and Union Bay in the Porcupine Mountains (both Michigan State Park campgrounds). Great locations for exploring the UP. Reviews on Campendium.
GnRNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
If you have time, be sure to take a trip to Mackinac Island.
dechampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #17
GLB
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Athens , Ohio
Munising tourist park just outside of munising is an awesome campground. It would be hard to get a waterfront spot without booking well in advance. It would be worth checking because there is always cancellations. Right next door is bay furnace campground. A great place for boon docking
GLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
x2 for Munising. Nice village and close to Pictured Rocks.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Richland , Washington
Hi, We traveled from Washington State into the UP, over to Mackinaw Island and back via the Black Hills last Fall. Loved the UP! Beautiful and Peaceful. We stayed at Sunset Bay RV Resort that is on Lake Superior. It's a little NW of Calumet. It's a older park that still has the feel of a 50's camp (hand made rock fire pits, hand hewn benches.) They have limited sites with sewer. We really enjoyed our stay there and only wish we could have stayed longer and that isn't so far away so we could go back. Don't miss The Jam Pot which is near Eagle Harbor. Its a fantastic bakery ran by the Catholic Byzantine Monastery that is also on the shore of Lake Superior. One muffin we bought there lasted 3 days it was HUGE! Enjoy!
PamsCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Appleton , Wisconsin
Wisconsinite who spends at least 3 weeks per year in the UP here. How much total time to you have to burn, as many have mentioned there’s a lot of different options, but the top 4 alone will take 4 days in 2 different campgrounds.

And if you add on the loop around the lake (highly recommended, the north shore of Minnesota is amazing) you’re looking at a lot of nights and miles.

As much as I love Copper Harbor, if you have limited time I’d grab a spot at Rippling River campground in Marquette. It doesn’t have a view of the water but it does have easy day trips to Pictured Rocks, all the amenities of Marquette and gives you the easiest UP experience without too much driving.
Bradknapp is offline   Reply With Quote