Old 05-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #15

2014 27' FB International
Riverside , California
We are big fans of State parks and stayed for several days in two along the shores of Lake Superior in late August 2018 that we would recommend - Muskallonge Lake SP and Union Bay in the Porcupine Mountains (both Michigan State Park campgrounds). Great locations for exploring the UP. Reviews on Campendium.

GnRNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
If you have time, be sure to take a trip to Mackinac Island.

dechampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #17
GLB

2000 25' Safari
Athens , Ohio
Munising tourist park just outside of munising is an awesome campground. It would be hard to get a waterfront spot without booking well in advance. It would be worth checking because there is always cancellations. Right next door is bay furnace campground. A great place for boon docking
GLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
x2 for Munising. Nice village and close to Pictured Rocks.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Richland , Washington
Hi, We traveled from Washington State into the UP, over to Mackinaw Island and back via the Black Hills last Fall. Loved the UP! Beautiful and Peaceful. We stayed at Sunset Bay RV Resort that is on Lake Superior. It's a little NW of Calumet. It's a older park that still has the feel of a 50's camp (hand made rock fire pits, hand hewn benches.) They have limited sites with sewer. We really enjoyed our stay there and only wish we could have stayed longer and that isn't so far away so we could go back. Don't miss The Jam Pot which is near Eagle Harbor. Its a fantastic bakery ran by the Catholic Byzantine Monastery that is also on the shore of Lake Superior. One muffin we bought there lasted 3 days it was HUGE! Enjoy!
PamsCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Appleton , Wisconsin
Wisconsinite who spends at least 3 weeks per year in the UP here. How much total time to you have to burn, as many have mentioned there’s a lot of different options, but the top 4 alone will take 4 days in 2 different campgrounds.

And if you add on the loop around the lake (highly recommended, the north shore of Minnesota is amazing) you’re looking at a lot of nights and miles.

As much as I love Copper Harbor, if you have limited time I’d grab a spot at Rippling River campground in Marquette. It doesn’t have a view of the water but it does have easy day trips to Pictured Rocks, all the amenities of Marquette and gives you the easiest UP experience without too much driving.
Bradknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradknapp View Post
Wisconsinite who spends at least 3 weeks per year in the UP here. How much total time to you have to burn, as many have mentioned thereís a lot of different options, but the top 4 alone will take 4 days in 2 different campgrounds.

And if you add on the loop around the lake (highly recommended, the north shore of Minnesota is amazing) youíre looking at a lot of nights and miles.

As much as I love Copper Harbor, if you have limited time Iíd grab a spot at Rippling River campground in Marquette. It doesnít have a view of the water but it does have easy day trips to Pictured Rocks, all the amenities of Marquette and gives you the easiest UP experience without too much driving.

These and the other campgrounds sound great! Since we are Limited on time and the two most appealing places so far are Pictured Rocks and Copper Harbor. You all have given some great recommendations on campgrounds in these areas. Has anyone stayed at the 12 mile beach campground? Originally we were looking at that as our first choice but it looks like itís first come first serve at least that we can tell. Our first stop might be Arbutus campground on Otsego Lake. Any thoughts on that particular campground as an overnighter?
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have stayed at 12 Mile Beach CG. We really liked it, but the mosquitoes were terrible. It is right on the lake but substantially elevated. The CG sits on a bluff about 200 ft above the water. That may have hurt the mosquito situation. When we went to the Munising Tourest Park right on the shore, mosquitoes were not a problem.

Anyhow 12 Mile Beach is FCFS which we like. They also had a generator free zone. We would camp here again and look forward to it.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Ontario
Went up to the UP for about a week two years ago with my family (me, my wife and three young children), so please keep that in mind.

We stayed at Hawatha NF - huge sites, but was too remote for us. The sites, although large, had some pretty rowdy groups all around us so we didn't like that too much. At it was a hike to get into Munising and some pretty rough roads, so that got old pretty quickly. I would advise staying closer to Munising for sure. In Munising, there was a great little breakfast/lunch place - Furnace Bagels i believe - we ate there every day! Great little spot.

Also, there is a great beach if you head straight out on HW 28 (i guess it's technically north, then east at the turn), but it's a great spot where the waters are much, much warmer and we had almost the entire beach to ourselves. The parking lot was fairly close and you cross a small river area but there was some very shallows spots where my two year old could cross without issue. Just an amazing spot (it's past the Tourist RV Park). I can get the exact details of this is you like - just need to check our journal.

From there we went to Tahquamenon Falls State Park. Excellent state park that even hard a craft brewery in the state park that was privately owned which was nice. There are two areas to camp there - the upper and lower falls. The upper was closer to the brewery (and row boats rental which you can rent to row around the upper falls which was nice), and the lower falls was quite a drive away and although we didn't stay in the lower falls, it did appear to be great spot for kayaking/canoeing from what we could tell.

While at TFSP, we visited Oswald Bear Ranch (http://www.oswaldsbearranch.com/) which was super cool. We saw people all ages there - really cool place to check out and you can even get a picture next to a black bear! The kids loved this place.

Really nice area overall though - happy to provide some info if you would be interested. Just PM me and I will respond.

Have fun!
newbiewander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:00 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Toronto , Ontario
Pancake bay is beautiful with an extremely long sandy beach. You don’t park on it but it’s nice to walk. Lake Superior Provincial park is also very nice this one has a small museum with information about the German prisoners of war who stayed there. Great sunsets.
Sleeping Giant Prov Park has nice hiking trails all around.
We stayed in all these parks last year on our route to and from the west coast trek.
Another time we plan to circumnavigate all the Great Lakes.
So thanks for the info from all the forum folks about parks in the US side of Superior
hawksbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksbil View Post
Pancake bay is beautiful with an extremely long sandy beach. You donít park on it but itís nice to walk. Lake Superior Provincial park is also very nice this one has a small museum with information about the German prisoners of war who stayed there. Great sunsets.
We stayed in all these parks last year on our route to and from the west coast trek.
So thanks for the info from all the forum folks about parks in the US side of Superior

And thank you for that description of Pancake Bay and Canada camping. Appreciate that very much
Old 05-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Pancake bay is beautiful with an extremely long sandy beach. You donít park on it but itís nice to walk. Lake Superior Provincial park is also very nice this one has a small museum with information about the German prisoners of war who stayed there. Great sunsets.
I'm not sure if there is a museum at Lake Superior Provincial Park for this but I believe it was Neys P.P. that served as a German prisoner of war camp.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/parksblo...ovincial-park/
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:

Thanks for your message! Overall, are the Canadian campsites more crowded or less?
Old 05-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Toronto , Ontario
I stand corrected it is Neyes Prov Park that was a prisoner of war camp. My error.
The other writer that mentioned Kakabeka fall it was very nice too.
As for more crowds Canada vs US can’t say. Did not stay on US side on this trip.
The one consistent thing is that water is cold in Lake Superior.

hawksbil is offline   Reply With Quote