Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Lake Michigan Campground recommendations

Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations for campgrounds on Lake Michigan in Michigan? We have stayed at Ludington and Hoffmaster state parks. We stayed at Hoffmaster in a pop-up, might be too tight for our 30'. Private parks are ok too. Prefer something within walking distance of the water.

Thanks!
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
1968 22' Safari
Clarksville , Indiana
If you were willing to go to Indiana, the Dunes State Park is excellant. You can even catch a train into Chicago just a 1/4 mile away from the camp ground.
Hell of a Lot of Fun!!!

Andre'
papademojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Holland is a good one. Stay at the campground not on the parking lot. If you read the desctiptions it is easy to see which is which.

We also like Warren Dunes. (see pictures) the walk to the beach is a little long for Molly our three year old (she and mom would take the truck) But Megan the nine year old and I enjoyed the hike. The picture on the bottom is one from about 1/4 way between the campground and water!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2285.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	94850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	94851  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2284.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	94852  

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Arcadia, MI has a rustic campground just north of their marina. It is on the little bay but the Big Lake is short walking distance just over the hill with great sunset views.
Plenty of room for a 30' rig.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Lorton , Virginia
Covert Park Beach & Campground
My husband is from MI and I lived there for over 10 years (and consider it home). A few years ago we went out to Covert park and it was absolutely awesome. The campground was great, the people were friendly, the beach was secluded and it was just beautiful. Out of the many places we've been on the lakeshore, this is one of our fav's.
One warning about camping around the dunes of Michigan, though, sometimes in sandy areas there are ground wasp nests - you don't know you're standing over one until they start stinging you - I suggest staying to used paths
ltenbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Eugene , Oregon
Growing up in Michigan, Sleeping Bear Dunes was a favorite. It has been a while since I have been back there through. And back then it was only tent camping.
matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Grand Haven state park is right on the Lake Michigan beach (literally). That's where we grew up. It is all sand, crowded and the spaces are kind of tight with no trees. You would definitely have to get reservations for almost any time, but the beach is great and there's a lighthouse with a breakwater you can walk out on.
There's some state forest campgrounds in the Upper Peninsula along Lake Michigan in the central/eastern end that are right next to the beach along Hwy 2 and have good beaches. Depending on the time of day and day of the week you arrive, they are frequently full or have only a few openings. They do have some larger spaces if you hit it right.
The Straits state park on the UP side of the Mackinaw Bridge is very nice also. The beach is small but the views of the straits and the Bridge are great.
Near Sleeping Bear Dunes Natl Lakeshore (highly recommended visit), there's a state park (I think) called Benzie state park. You can float down the river on tubes out to Lake Michigan. It's fun for family (wear lots of sunscreen!). The park is a little inland, though.
Fayette State Park is in the UP, down a peninsula more on the western side of the state and on Lake Michigan. It's very nice, also.
I really don't know of a "bad" state park in Michigan that's on the Lake.
Have fun!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via MSN to Sparty73 Send a message via Yahoo to Sparty73
For a park that isn't quite as well know but right on Lake Michigan between Traverse City and Charlevoix you might consider Antrim County's Barnes Park. You can see the link at: Barnes Park (including a photo of 1965 Airstream).

We've stayed at Wilderness State Park west of Mackinaw City and many of campsite are also right on the lake. The park has a lot of hiking trails.

Sparty73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We were at Sleeping Bear Dunes this past year, it is beautiful, campgrounds are very clean and well-kept.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Out of the ~20 Michigan SP's we've been to, Ludington is far and away our favorite. I know it's not Lake Michigan (it is connected to it, tho), but Young SP was very nice, on Lake Charlevoix.