Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
Lake Guntersville State Park, AL

My wife and I booked a trip for Memorial Day Weekend @ Lake Guntersville State Park in Guntersville, Alabama. It looks like a pretty nice site. Here is an excerpt off their website:

In the Tennessee Valley, overlooking the majestic 69,000-acre Guntersville Reservoir, this park ranges over 6,000 acres of natural woodlands. The park has an 18-hole championship golf course, a beach complex, fishing center, hiking trails, nature programs and a day-use area. Modern campground and lakeview cottages on the lake, coupled with a resort lodge on the pinnacle of Taylor Mountain, and chalets on the ridge-tops provide a selection of overnight accommodations beyond comparison.

http://www.alapark.com//parks/park.cfm?parkid=5

If there are any Forum members who have stayed here or have any knowledge of the park, I would appreciate any feedback!

And, if you're a slacker like me and are late in making reservations for that Holiday Weekend and looking for a place to go, they have a lot of sites there with full hook-ups!

Thanks!

nazz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Nazz,
My wife is from Huntsville and I use to fish Guntersville Lake from time to time with her next door neighbor who has since passed away. I've caught a few 4 lb. small mouth bass out of that lake and one whopper took my favorite lure. Let me know how the renovated campgrounds turned out. I'd like to check that park out some day.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
I'm looking forward to doing some fishing. I heard the park was nice, however the lodge is closed for renovations until August. It's been undergoing renovations for two years but I'm sure it'll be nice when it's finished. I will post our experience when we get back for all to see.

If anything, at least it's close to us here in Middle, TN located just a little SE of Huntsville, AL.

See you at the GA rally next month.

nazz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Bethel , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Folkie53 Send a message via Yahoo to Folkie53
Thumbs up We stayed there over night

I stayed there over night on the way to Scottsboro and the losed luggage place. Very nice with great hook ups and walking distance to the lake. If you have kids along there are plenty of things for them to do.
Folkie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz300
I'm looking forward to doing some fishing...
Hi nazz,

I live in Huntsville, and used to boat and JetSki a lot on Lake Guntersville before kids. Since the lake is man-made to accomodate the Guntersville dam, it is not very deep, and the millfoil plants put out years ago by avid bass fishermen are now tough to boat around.

Even though Mrs. TomW is from that area, we have yet to camp there for whatever reason.

As long as you fish from the bank, you will probably have a great time. While it is not Tennessee (my home state), it is a nice area with good people.

Have fun,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote