Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Cory,

I’m not at all familiar with the Enclave so don’t know if we’re talking a six or an eight cylinder, or what the gear ratio is. However, I was born in Colorado and raised in Colorado and Wyoming and now live in Idaho so I know a bit about mountain challenges.

I had never towed anything over the passes until I got my first Airstream, a 1969 31ft. I pulled it over numerous passes in Colorado, Wyoming, and Idaho and have pulled my 34foot Limited over many as well. My first TV was a ’79 GMC, 350 automatic (carbureted). I pulled Monarch, Blue Mesa, and Rabbit Ears with it (hauling a 750 Honda cycle in the box). I replaced the GMC with a wimpy 6.2 Chevy diesel (no turbo) and pulled Monarch several times, as well as pulling several Montana and Idaho passes (also with the Honda in the bed). After I got my Limited I pulled Monarch as well as whatever is around Jackson, Wyoming with a 5.7 Chevy 1500 ((gross overload—I don’t recommend this). It wasn’t much fun and I held my breath a few times wondering if I’d make it, but with patience and caution, each of the trucks did what I asked of them. I’m a fanatic about auxiliary transmission oil coolers and that may be what saved my bacon a few times.

There is a formula for determining your horsepower loss per 1000 ft. rise in elevation. I think it is something like 3% loss per 1000 ft. This would mean your Enclave has 1/3 less horsepower at the top of Monarch. Of course if you are equipped with a supercharger or a turbo charger there won’t be so much loss.

If you decide to try it remember that what goes up must come down. Don’t ride your brakes or you’ll lose them fast. If you’ll slow down way slow at the top (like 20mph) and drop it into low range the tranny will stay in second gear and give you some degree of engine braking. When you need your brakes, get on them hard and quick, slow down to a bit under the speed you are comfortable with, and get off the pedal (if you don’t need too much brake, use the trailer brakes only, fast and quick). The previously mentioned braking problems often are caused when a driver over-uses or rides the pedal. When this occurs three things can happen; 1) you’ll glaze the surface of the pads or linings, 2) you can badly warp the rotors or the drums, 3) you can boil the brake fluid and boiling fluid won’t stop you.

I join the folks who have stressed that you can’t have too much power for your TV. Of course if you only need it on rare occasions I can understand pushing things, I’ve done it a lot. After I got my present TV there have been no more white-knuckle pulls. There have been a few white knuckles on the downhill side, since I don’t tow enough passes any more to feel like I can justify the expense of an exhaust brake.

Gene
Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We descended Monarch last week going west. An almost identical 25' '09 FC FB was just ahead of us. I think she had a Chevy or GMC. She descended faster than us, but we caught up in the valley. Our Tundra has a 6 speed automatic, 5th and 6th are both overdrives. I descended in mostly 3rd or 2nd depending on the grade and the curves and a few places in 4th. We ascended at about 45 mph. We had no problems with the Tundra.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
If you coming into lake city from the west there is a great camp site at the Lake city cut off right on the river. Not very many sites. I think 6-8 but it is nice. No hook ups either.. I stayed there a few times. Not with the AS yet.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote