Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
san antonio , Texas
Lady Traveling Solo

Last year (2014) in November my husband Jack passed away and my life has changed forever. He was my best friend and we loved traveling together and I miss him greatly. My decision now is whether to continue traveling solo with our Airstream. I could use some discussion on the pros and cons of women on the road alone.
judybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Sorry for your loss. Are you sure it needs to be alone? Is there any chance you have a friend or two that might also be interested in traveling that way?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am so sorry for your loss, and good for you for even thinking of traveling alone.

My husband died suddenly 21 months ago, 900 miles from home, and it never occurred to me not to continue on as long as I was healthy and able. We had been retired 6 1/2 years, and traveled 146,000 miles together. We loved it.

I drove the Interstate home after he died, and then my first trip out about 10 weeks later was to the country cemetery where he is buried, for Memorial Day. I stayed three nights with him there, and have been going ever since, tho slow and in bits and pieces that first year.

The good and the bad thing about the Interstate, and traveling in it alone, was that he was everywhere I turned. It eventually came to comfort me, and still does. I suspect it would be the same for you.

I have logged about 24,000 miles alone, made a few stupid mistakes, but have never for a moment felt afraid. I do have a dog, who is a very fierce protector, and she also provides a great deal of companionship.

I see you have a couple of pups, too....that will help.

Basic common sense will usually see you thru, tho I did find there was a bit of a learning curve, doing it myself.

I say...go and do and enjoy while you can. Although it seems pretty much a couples thing, there are a fair number of women out there traveling by themselves.

There is another woman here who lost her husband recently, and is planning to begin traveling alone next year, so perhaps she will chime in.

It is eminently doable, from my perspective.

I have just set up a Shirley Valentine gathering in Astoria, OR, for next September, if you might be interested. It will be at least some women traveling alone, and probably mostly women, period, if you want to take a look at that thread and join us.

Take care of yourself, and don't be afraid. Life is short, we need to live and enjoy while we are able to go and do, is my thought.

Good luck, and I will follow this thread.

Maggie
Old 12-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

So sorry.

See how you feel. At some point in time, keeping busy might be helpful.

Baby steps…Boondocking may not be the best idea for a variety of reasons.

Rallies, music festivals, and group activities would probably be safer and more enjoyable. I camp with a camping club, which there are many in my area, that goes to Bluegrass festivals. People look out for each other, eat together, and friendships are formed. People seem to be like minded and more community oriented. I'm thinking people keep more to themselves at campgrounds. You will likely find folks to chat with, someone who understands, who would appreciate a new friend. Maybe someone you could help cope with a loss.

It could be that you have friends or family that are looking for a way to help you. See if any of them would consider trying camping in style.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your husband. I hope, though, that you will NOT let this stop you from hitching up and creating your own adventures. I travel in my 23' FC AS across the country and back, alone except for my dog. I have never had a moment's pause. I find that, if anything, fellow campers (especially fellow Streamers) are even more friendly and helpful than when my husband is with me. I LOVE traveling alone!! I go with the assumption that people are nice and that I can manage to cope in most situations. I am careful--very--about WHERE I camp, and I almost never tow at night. I carry some protection, but have never had to even consider using it. So, carry your husband along with you in your heart, travel can be healing, and it is always an adventure! Best wishes.
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
san antonio , Texas
Thanks for answering my post so quickly. As to friends to travel with me,
I can say that most are either not interested in travel with a trailer or they are at home with husbands. I am totally confident that I can handle the trailer and all the things that go with driving, hooking/unhooking and parking. I have been the driver of the tow vehicle since we acquired the trailer used in 2008, but I have never actually traveled by myself. I guess the only way to overcome the mystery of how I would feel will be to just go. I appreciate the invitation to Or in September and will look into getting there. It would be great to meet some other lady travelers with the same interests. Keep me posted on the planning. Thanks
Old 12-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good for you!

Try some things out close to home, and get your sea legs in place, is my thought, before taking on anything too adventurous.

The biggest adjustment, for me, was being alone...but, like most things, it is better with doing.

I do talk a lot to my dog, at home or away.

Maggie
Old 12-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
for years i have been traveling alone and heavily rely on the kindness of strangers if and when i need help,like backing up in a tight space...i meet all kinds of fabulous people,easier to do when alone,couples tend to stick together...but if you go towards people ...you will always be welcome to chat,share a meal,etc...and yes, you can go on rallies etc...follow you dreams,your husband would want you to...I too have a dog, a minn pinn...great traveling companion!!!if you ever want to come to ny,Dutchess county,or,nova scotia where i spend part of the summer,you are very welcome...Happy travels.M
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
There is another woman here who lost her husband recently, and is planning to begin traveling alone next year, so perhaps she will chime in.

That would be me.

First, let me extend my deepest condolences.

Like the title of Maggie's thread, this is a different life. I would be out there camping by myself already except:
a. It's winter, and even in Texas that makes camping a little chilly for me.
b. My husband's passing has left me a lot of stuff to clean out, clean up, etc.

So, the plan is to spend the next couple or three months getting organized, and then I'll go camping.

Just like Maggie says, I do talk to the dog a lot. She's a good listener.

Please stay in touch. We're both in Texas, although a few miles apart. The state parks in the Hill Country are among my favorites, so I'll be down your way in the spring. First reservation is for Garner in the middle of April. Kids and grandkids will be there, so that one's already on the calendar.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Concur with Maggie.

Before looking for a companion, though, try it solo. You might just surprise yourself!
Old 12-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
You might look into setting up a backup camera for the rear of the trailer. That should make easier to back into camping spots, especially in lower light situations. Best wishes whatever you decide.

Mike and Anita
Caffeinated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #12
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I travel alone about 22k a season for work. My husband is home working. I am very sorry for your lost. Since you always did the driving, youvwill be fine, I think maggie and miniandrews, and all the responses are spot on for you.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I am not a woman traveling alone but your thoughts of continuing to travel inspired me to share the following poem with you. Are you really alone?

Death Is Nothing At All - Poem by Henry Scott Holland

Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away to the next room.
I am I and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other,
That, we still are.

Call me by my old familiar name.
Speak to me in the easy way
which you always used.
Put no difference into your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.

Laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me. Pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word
that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effect.
Without the trace of a shadow on it.

Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same that it ever was.
There is absolute unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?

I am but waiting for you.
For an interval.
Somewhere. Very near.
Just around the corner.

All is well.

Nothing is past; nothing is lost. One brief moment and all will be as it was before only better, infinitely happier and forever we will all be one together with Christ.
.KonaBody

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Thanks, Kittyfeet. That's a good one!
Old 02-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is a good one, and nice to think of our loved ones gone as being so close.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Condolences. It is quite difficult to lose your best friend. We met a lady a few weeks ago at a WBCCI rally. Continuing after her husband died has been a challenge, but she has the support of the group and does quite well. She is planning a whole series of trips. She told us that the AS community provided an opportunity to socialize with people of her age group that she found difficult in other venues. Hope it works for you. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Judybug, my deepest condolences on your loss. There are many of us in the same boat here. My Joe passed 3 1/2 years ago. Joe did not travel with me...he cared not for camping. That was my thing and still is.

I am well past 70, tow my little 2015 BAMBI 16' Sport with my big Pathfinder. I travel solo, just me and a little chihuahua or Pomeranian. They are good alert dogs. The rest is up to me. I believe in the 2nd amendment...if you get my meaning. Also take bear mace, marine air horn, taser. Never had to use any, but, know how to and am well trained in use. They provide me with peace of mind, if nothing more.

I don't ever feel vulnerable, I do feel confident and aware. I travel in daytime, make sure my cell phone stays charged, my machinery maintained, and don't camp in the boonies alone. If I pull into a place, and feel the least bit wary, I move on...always prefer to move rather than worry. I also carry a big battery charge power station with compressor...best to be prepared. I don't like depending on others.

All that being said....I bought this Airstream to travel, enjoy this great nation and it's beauty, and knowing I am prepared, I feel safe, and just enjoy my travels. I have AAA and Good Sam's club for if I should ever need help.

I lived in San Antonio 1970-75 when we were stationed at Lackland USAF Base. I'm sure it is much different now. I was an RN at the base. Now, live near Denver, Colorado. I look forward to meeting you this August for our trip to JH, WY, then on to Oregon. It should be fun, and nice to meet new friends and likeminded travelers. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I just purchased a new TV and FC 20 for my granddaughter. She has been camping with us for several years and i have complete confidence in her ability to handle the truck or trailer as she has been pulling large horse trailers since she was just a little one. She will be on the road by herself many times and we have set up some "safety checks" for her. She has a very level head on her and can handle herself very well, but it is comforting to know she is always safe. She texts us when she departs a location and texts us when she arrives at her destination. She also has a "Road I.D." I wear one as well and highly recommend it. It is an identification tag that has contact information that is stored online with the company with all of her medical history, any medications, any physical problems, complete information on how to contact us, any allergies, etc. and has become known to first responders or rescue teams if the occasion ever arrises. There may be other companies that do the same thing but it is great information if she is ever alone and responders need to know vital information. Would suggest you look into it.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:26 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
san antonio , Texas
Kittyfeet, thank you for posting that poem. So true and encouraging to all of us who are waiting to meet our loved ones again. While I am waiting I am living the things we would have enjoyed together. Recalling his laugh and funny antics, his reminders to check the tires, stop for gas, and give the dogs water still ring in my head. He may not be here, but he is still here. He is a part of me.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Kittyfeet, that Road ID sounds like a great idea. Can you post contact info for the company?