Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
www.RoadID.com Check out the site. Very reasonable, you have total control of your personal content, and it is really a "piece of mind" comfort.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:40 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Thank you. The granddaughter I mentioned is mid twenties. She has been under our care since she was five. Her parents, my daughter, were tragically killed. I understand the feelings you have.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thank you everyone for a moving thread, and for the poem Kittyfeet. Similar losses have hit our family over the last few years. Getting back up on the horse after a spill is tough . . . but we keep breathing . . . and life gets better bit by bit.

Condolences for everyone's losses . . .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Sorry for your loss.
I have traveled all over the west several times on my motorcycle and tent camped in campgrounds along the way. Never a bit of trouble and met people I still keep in touch with years later.
Enjoy yourself whatever you do.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
One of the really neat things I have seen in campgrounds is the willingness to help others. It is one of the few places I know of where six total strangers will show up with their tool boxes to help out someone with a problem. I am not worried about my granddaughter in campgrounds, it is the road travel that worries me most. We have met some wonderful people in camps that we continue to stay in touch with. Happy camping everyone. Get out there and go for it. Pull the wheels off those trailers.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
the kindness of strangers

i have been traveling alone for several years and have always heavily relied on the kindness of strangers,on the road and in campgrounds...i have met extraordinary people ....(walking around with a dog helps),we all have the same thing in common,a sense of adventure, the love of nature ,exploring,and are privileged to travel in airstreams which attract a lot of attention....a smile,a hello,goes a long way....and simply asking for help if need be....exchanging information...go sit around a campfire...I Love life on the road...where i meet people i normally would not,and share the joy of being nomads....
Go for it...all the best M
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are doing a Shirley Valentine gathering in Astoria, OR, mid September for (mostly) solo women, if any dropping in here want to make reservations at Fort Stevens SP and join us.

In or near L Loop, the 8th-11th of September or thereabouts....I will be there at least by the 7th until the 12th.

There's a thread on it somewhere, may already be a link already here...I will look for it and post after awhile.

Maggie
Old 02-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
My condolences on your loss, Judybug. After the death of a loved one it can be really difficult to decide what dreams still matter to you, and how you wish to move forward. My mom died suddenly 8.5 months ago. The AS my husband and I have been renovating was a key part of a dream to spend several weeks a year in the Black Hills where she lived. It was really difficult to resume work on the trailer after her passing. I had to keep reminding myself there are other reasons I wanted our trailer, too.
Right now I’m part of a couple, but if something happens to my husband first, I don’t see it as a reason to stop traveling. Unless it’s a physical impossibility. It’s also likely my feelings at that point may be different, and that’s OK too.
As others have suggested, I really believe travelers owe it to themselves to be prepared for any adverse situation which may occur. It’s also very empowering to know you possess skills which will enable you to help yourself in less than ideal circumstances. (Like others, I hate feeling helpless.)
Since you haven’t been on the road for a little while, you might want to consider attending a rally that includes beginner RV courses. Check into Sisters on the Fly, Good Sam or Escapees. It could be a good way to find out what you still remember, and experts are available to fill in the gaps.
Don’t neglect your tow vehicle. You may already have a few a basic skills or know how to trouble-shoot issues. Since knowledge is power, those skills can be taken further with vehicle maintenance and repair classes taught by women for women. But if one of those isn’t available, look into continuing adult education classes at a community college or tech school. Otherwise, if you have a long-standing and good relationship with a mechanic, ask them to show you how to deal with the most common issues you’re likely to encounter. (Offer to pay them for their time even if they don’t ask.)If it’s been awhile or you’ve never done it, you really should practice changing tires. Roadside assistance is a great thing, but if someone can’t be dispatched in a timely manner, the sooner you can get yourself out of a dangerous situation, the better off you will be.
Do you have “pre-flight” checklists? There’s nothing more satisfying than checking items off a list. It’s also reassuring to have visual proof that nothing has been overlooked. Have one for interior trailer items and fun stuff; tools, spare parts and emergency equipment; and one for closing up your house while you’re away.
Here are some safety items I can remember. You may already have them or it may be time to replace. I’m sure I’m overlooking something which someone else will recommend.
Tools to change your tires
Jumper cables
Rechargeable battery charger/Air compressor (in case a power source isn’t available)
Spare vehicle battery (Older batteries or ones which have become too depleted won’t hold a charge)
Full-size spare tires which are properly maintained and inflated
Old-fashioned tire gage (Electronic monitoring is great, but not full proof)
Flares or flashing LED emergency lights
Cones or other markers which can be set in front and behind you rig
Extra fuses for both your vehicle and trailer (If it’s not a ground, the problem may be a blown fuse)
A box of basic and some cordless power tools (Have a physical limitation? Find adaptive tools that will allow you to complete a task with less effort.)
7-way Trailer and vehicle safety testers (Will make it easier to check functioning of signal lights, etc. by yourself. Be sure to keep the trailer tester battery charged.)

Lastly, are there new things you’ve always wanted to learn while traveling, or hobby you want to try? I finally got a digital DSLR camera for Christmas, and have found astrophotography fascinating for many years. I’m dying to go to Big Bend National Park. Attending a star party at the Marathon observatory is at the top of my bucket list.

Enjoy your travels and stay safe. Perhaps we will meet each other somewhere along the way.

Kristal
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Kalamazoo , Michigan
Traveling Solo, too.

Judybug,

So sorry for your loss. I have been on the road solo since April of 2014. It's a great life!

I am in your neck of the woods - at McKinney Falls State Park - until Feb 19, and then heading down to Mustang Island State Park for the weekend. If you would like to meet up, let me know. There seems to be empty sites here in McKinney Falls.

Traveling solo is a fine way to roll!
Kalamazookim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
We are doing a Shirley Valentine gathering in Astoria, OR, mid September for (mostly) solo women, if any dropping in here want to make reservations at Fort Stevens SP and join us.

In or near L Loop, the 8th-11th of September or thereabouts....I will be there at least by the 7th until the 12th.

There's a thread on it somewhere, may already be a link already here...I will look for it and post after awhile.

Maggie
This is a link to the Shirley Valentine gathering.....any who might be interested are more than welcome.

This is not a rally, but a gathering....not planning any formal activities or potlucks, we can decide what we want to do when we get there.

I understand there is lots to see and do in the area, tho I expect our primary activity will be talking.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/...-a-144837.html

Maggie
Old 02-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Kristal/Starstream-when you go to Big Bend, be sure to go up to the basin. Your rig is too big to camp there but it is wonderful and some great hikes from the campground. Lots of great places for pictures.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #32
Airstream Rookie

2005 31' Classic
Anywhere , Everywhere
I'm at the beginning of my two-ish-year solo odyssey after a divorce, empty-nesting and selling everything. Bought me a Dodge Cummins and a 31-foot Classic and will be working on the road in the SW for the next few years.

I'm a social person but also value my solitude tremendously. My work out of the AS is based on seasons, light, weather and location. No one wants to hang out with me for days at a time waiting for the right light.

BUT...in my case I am part of a network of amazing friends and they are planning to fly in to whatever airport happens to be nearby and spending a few days and then returning home to engage with their lives again. I think/hope that this, along with engaging with friends all over the country I will not be alone for too long when the loneliness gets a bit too thick.

No dog, no pets and plenty of time. I'd LOVE to bump into another Airstreamer along the way. I've driven 10k miles in the past two months and have only seen two Airstreams on the road other than myself. One other one parked in a field between Centralia and Vancouver, Washington and one in a storage yard in Ventura, California.

I though I'd have seen more by now.
KimberlyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
san antonio , Texas
Kalamazookim, I just today saw your post. I wish I had know earlier, I would have arranged to go to the State Park to camp this weekend. Unfortunately my trailer is at a deer lease for a couple more weeks. After Mustang Island are you going back to McKinney State Park? That park was a place we used to go. If you are going back there let me know and I'll make plans.
judybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Thanks for the suggestion, Kittyfeet. Since we're traveling with pets will most likely stay in the state park campground. I believe that's Big Bend Ranch? (We are aware it's recommended to leave pets behind when visiting Big Bend, but my husband is a disabled veteran and won't be doing the more strenuous activities - back injury & nerve damage to a leg. So he'll keep to trails more suitable for his abilities and walking the dogs. My bunnies stretch their legs at "home". Yep, we be craazzee!)

We also have plans to check out the communities around Big Bend; Marathon, Alpine, Ft. Davis (were the observatory actually is), Marfa, & Terlingua. Are there any others we should add, and ones we should avoid? Also, has anyone tried the camel excursions? Seems like something one should try at least once. (Emphasis on once since camels have a certain reputation.)
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:59 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
That is really a neat area in Texas. Yes be sure to check all of those places you mentioned. I am pretty sure there are some partial or full hookups in Big Bend, but you should call ahead to see. Have also camped at Ft Davis. Was a fun time although several years ago. I might just add for caution, don't camp alone in a campgound. Whenever you go, there should be many others.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by judybug View Post
Last year (2014) in November my husband Jack passed away and my life has changed forever. He was my best friend and we loved traveling together and I miss him greatly. My decision now is whether to continue traveling solo with our Airstream. I could use some discussion on the pros and cons of women on the road alone.
I'm sorry for your loss. I too am traveling solo due to my husband's death almost ten years ago. It was a major adjustment but I rebuilt my life including owning my own Airstream. Thanks to my wonderful friends, I learned to tow, hitch, boondock, etc. I usually travel with several Airstream-owning friends. We camp at Airstream rallies, visit new parks at least once a month during the spring, summer and fall, and plan one week-long adventure every year.

Groups such as Women on the Fly, Vintage Women with Trailers are wonderful for women traveling solo.

I plan to travel, camp and go as long as I'm healthy and able. I hope you will too. The pain never goes away but it does get much softer. There's a big beautiful world out there to explore.
BaroloRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:45 PM   #37
Rivet Master

I have just opened a thread called SOLO TRAVELERs CLUB...under Airstream Lifestyle forum. Objective: to serve as a conduit, a bridge, to allow likeminded travelers to meet, camp together, maybe form new friendships, socialize, etc. look it up and give me some responses. Let's see where it takes such! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:52 AM   #38

Gladstone , Queensland
Sorry for your loss...(( Have you really no one to travel with? O_o