Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Lac Seul Ontario

Just put the trailer away for the year after a fishing trip to the Fla Keys so now it is time to start planning for next year. A friend of mine fishes Lac Seul every year and said the walleye fishing is always fantastic.

Anyone have a recommendation for resort with a full hookup campground ,that is pet friendly, and has boat rental available?
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
The most complete listing of camgrounds/lodging to explore is likely on this website - and from it you can follow the links to individual websites or write/call for more information.

Canadian Fishing, Vacations, Adventures, Ecotours, Outdoor Travel Ontario's Sunset Country!

In general you might find things a little more "rustic" than what you enjoyed in Florida - but the fishing pretty much anywhere in Northwestern Ontario will more than make up for any shortfalls.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
63Air,

That's in the middle of nowhere. I mean it, look at a map: barely one road, no towns, just bears and trees.

Wabauskang 21 (which I believe is a logging road) goes by not too far away, but even it ends about 50 miles further north at Red Lake. By the way, the French word "seul" means ''alone" in English.

What did your friend do there, hire a guide? Be sure of your plan, there's no Wal-Mart to overnight in nearby.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
63Air,

That's in the middle of nowhere. I mean it, look at a map: barely one road, no towns, just bears and trees.

Wabauskang 21 (which I believe is a logging road) goes by not too far away, but even it ends about 50 miles further north at Red Lake. By the way, the French word "seul" means ''alone" in English.

What did your friend do there, hire a guide? Be sure of your plan, there's no Wal-Mart to overnight in nearby.

.... hence .... the fish! ....

.... you just gotta work on gettin outta the city more! .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
.... hence .... the fish! ....

.... you just gotta work on gettin outta the city more! .....

Jay
Well sure, Jay. But you got to make certain the feller knows what he's a-gittin' into!

Wife and I camped for almost 40 years before we got the AS, but even I would think hard and heavy before going up where (almost) no man has gone before.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I have actually had the thought that I'd never see Lac Seul mentioned at AIR. It is beyond the fringe of most travelers' interests but a frequent destination for many Minnesotans. Friends of mine will drive up and pull a boat. Most folks probably stay in cabins. It's more accessible than a lot of side trips off the Alcan highway. Nice link Jay!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Dunno about this lake, but spent a week this fall fishing out of Laughing Waters RV Resort on Lake of the Woods, near Sioux Narrows ... they rent fishing boats, houseboats, etc. and have a decent campground. There's not much better than a fresh-caught walleye dinner! There are also two very nice Provincial Parks within a few miles.

One note: these Canadian Shield lakes are VERY rocky ... thus there's a lot of structure to fish, but also, some of the marinas there literally buy outboard motor lower units by the pallet load for replacement as fisherman tear them off the motors so often!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I'm talking about Lac Seul by the Ear Falls area . Never been up there , I did not think it would be that remote. I used to go up to the Atikokan area twice a year and spent a lot of time wandering the logging roads into some really great fishing lakes. Places I would never take my Airstream to.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
OK, well, Ear Falls ("The Gateway to Lac Seul") is a real community: 1,153 souls at last count, and actual stores, even including an RV park and a bank.

Excuse me if I gave the idea that I thought you didn't know what you were doing, but your original post made me think you were expecting big-town luxury. Rustic, as Rangerjay called it, is a much better description.

Here is the Township's website, which will give you the contacts you need to set up a great fishing trip there.

Township of Ear Falls
Old 11-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Guess I can start planning. Biggest problem is dealing with the US border , never thought I'd see the day I'd need a passport for a Canadian fishing trip.