Old 09-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
LA to SW Florida - Route 10 in Winter

We're planning to go to SW Florida from California this December through January. We plan on taking I10 all the way to I75. Aside from the LA to Las Vegas piece, I haven't been on I10.

I am looking for either STRONG don'ts - or STRONG do's. Things like, "Don't ever stop in this town or you will be killed," (just kidding), or "Make SURE you stop here, it's the coolest thing since Eskimo Pies."

We are thinking about 10 days out, 10 days staying with our relatives, 10 days back.

Thanks for any cool tips, advice, warnings, or comments.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Have done this route many times having lived in Phoenix & Ft. Lauderdale. We'll be doing it again the same time as you. It's definitely the quickest easiest route and you can find state parks along the way that are not too far off the route to stay in as opposed to RV parking lots. All depends on where you'll be when you're ready to stop. The Alamo & San Antonio are worth the time to spend a day. And if you're into food, there's the French Quarter RV Resort which is walking distance to a gastrinomical mecca. Other than construction (check ahead), the only real bad road is in western Louisiana.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Good stuff Mojo. We will be going around 12/15 and coming back 1/15. Do you think we will have mostly weather in the 60s? 70s? Lotsa rain or little rain? Up in our neck of the woods, that is our heavy rain season. I realize it is all general info, but general is better than none! Thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Ha! No guarantees on the weather. Can be anywhere from the 30's to the 80's. Once you cross the Mississippi, you'll feel the humidity. At least there shouldn't be any snow, but that can happen too!

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
During the holidays, typical weather along I-10 in southern Arizona and New Mexico will be mid-60's during the day and around 40 degrees at night. However, it could be up to 75 and down to 20 depending on whatever is blowing through.

We don't winterize, as the typical light frost usually won't bother your pipes or tanks. Also, you'll be staying in your Airstream; so if you hear the evening news warn about a hard freeze and everyone should cover their citrus trees, just make sure to run your furnace and you should be fine. The lowest setting is OK, which is about 50 degrees.

Note: All temps are Fahrenheit.

We usually don't get much rain, nor any snow, during the holidays. However, if there is any precipitation, you might see a light dusting of snow on the mountains. It is very rare to see any ground accumulation of snow, and that won't last more than an hour or two after sunrise. The one exception is Texas Canyon, which is a slight rise between Benson and Wilcox, AZ. However, you don't have to worry about this unless it's actually raining or snowing (or was overnight), and you'll hear any problems on the TV and radio weather reports.

Great time to be traveling, and lots to see and do along this route. See southern Arizona and New Mexico sites in another post on this subject:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...ml#post1186552

Happy trails!

================

Note: There is a Balloon Festival in Alamogordo and at White Sands National Monument this weekend (09/15 - 09/16/12)!

http://www.nps.gov/whsa/index.htm
Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

We have gone from Colorado to S. Florida many times.
Freezes are possible but not likely at that time of year. If one is predicted, disconect your water hose. Beating on a frozen snake to get it into its compartment is not much fun or amusing depending whether you are doing or watching.
We carry an electric space heater. In moderate temperatures, it will heat the trailer. Saves propane and is less noisy.
Our favorite stopover place is the area around Lafayette Louisiana. Lots of good eating places and interesting small towns. We usually bypass New Orleans.
Depending on where you are going in Florida, the Florida Tunpike may be worth a look. There is less traffic than on either I-95 or I-75.
Coast to coast distance is close to 3,000 miles. When we have to make time and drive every day, we get tired of driving quickly. Sounds like you have enough time to have a stopover every two or three days.