Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surman1322
When you make a reservation, you are required to give them a credit card number. They charge your credit card before you can get off the phone.
So does Fort Wilderness at Disney World.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #102

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have found the most campgrounds, KOA or otherwise, require a credit card over the phone when you make a reservation,
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #103
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surman1322
KOA has a business practice that I find offensive. When you make a reservation, you are required to give them a credit card number. They charge your credit card before you can get off the phone. Most RV parks don't charge you until the date of your reservation. With KOA, if your plans change and you have to cancel, you have a heck of a time getting a credit to your account. So, I never use a KOA unless there is no private park nearby.
I did not have this experience. We reserved some campspots with KOA over the phone, several hours before arriving. They did not charge he card until we got there, on 3 occasions.
One time I decided to leave a KOA and drive a little farther after having already checked in, and the KOA office called me 20min later and informed me that the card had been credited alredy, with no "handling fees".
Old 08-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
This has not been my experience either - in fact by KOA policy if you are not satisfied with your site within the first hour, they will refund your money.

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Concern For Friends...

please refer to post #85:

"KOA Binging Syndrome or KBS..."

warning: your life will be changed forever...

kevin
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #106
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Spent a night in the so-so KOA in Ely Nevada. In addition to the full hook-up rate there was an additional charge of $2 for cable TV (which didn't work) and another $2 for Wi Fi. It was our most expensive RV park on US 50 from California to Colorado....and certainly far from the nicest.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #107
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
It's camping with a "K." I guess I prefer camping over "kamping!" Lol.

Our scene did quiet down nicely as of this morning here though. The place is half empty now. Whew.

I did remember one KOA that we found to be nice... it was just South of Charlottesville, VA. We stayed for about three days. It was pretty, quiet and well run.

Visit our travel blog "Full Hook Ups"
silverpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #108
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
We've stayed at about a dozen KOA's in the last year and overall found them to be just fine. Yes, some are better than others - but I think the variance of quality is less with KOA's than with private campgrounds.

In other words, on a 1-10 scale I find the KOA's I have stayed at normally range from about a 3 to a 7 while private campgrounds can be anywhere from a 1 to a 10. Unless you have local type knowledge about a particular private campground it is iffy on just taking a chance with a private one so I usually stick with KOA.

If you are looking in the northern Maryland area try -- Morris Meadows Campground -- in Freeland MD. Nice place and it is where I have my 'Stream parked year-around. I have an annual lease on the campsite so I can just drive up and camp the weekend or hitch-up and go whenever I want with my own spot anytime when I return.

regards, Dave
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerda
If you are looking in the northern Maryland area try -- Morris Meadows Campground -- in Freeland MD.
Dave,

That sound pretty nice. Post it in under the reviews tab in campground reviews so we don't lose it in the threads.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerda
If you are looking in the northern Maryland area try -- Morris Meadows Campground -- in Freeland MD.
I was visiting the folks (sans Airstream) in Hampstead, MD last week and we drove by that campground on our way back from Shrewesbury, PA. It looks like a nice place. It's settled in the beautiful rolling hills that area has.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Flagstaff AZ KOA

I am still in the "shakedown" mode since purchasing my AS. I just stayed at the KOA in Flagstaff and thought it was pretty nice. They back up to a State Park and had good hiking and decent campsites. I will stay there again.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
KOA works on franchise mgmt..

We've found over 10+ years that KOA tries to keep its franchisees in line, and within that mythical range of 5 to 8 or 9 on scale of 1 to 10.. We've come to know a number of unhappy former franchisees, who were equally strong-willed and quit over advertising or fee practices, and are making it as independent campgrounds.. The old "A" frame office/store is a giveaway for a "Former KOA". One good example is east of Olympia WA, complete with hay rides, petting zoo and bicycle riding track... Another is just south of Tillamook OR on 101, with cows adjacent... Some are also terminated by KOA for failure to maintain standards, which is rare for Good Sam or other raters...

Credit Card charge is local franchisee practice, not KOA demand.. We've had some accept res based on KOA Value Card number, and others want guarantee. Depends on when reservation made, and how full they are or expect to be..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I made reservations several weeks ago for 4 nights at the KOA in Fredricksburg, VA. I used my recently ordered Value card and they put the first night on my VISA. If I remember corectly, this is the same procedure for the GA. State Parks sites I have stayed in during our mini rallies.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #114
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The KOA at Fredericksburg, Texas is a model of what any campground should be. The present owners (a civil engineer and his wife) have poured time, money and a ton of sweat into it. Great location, lovely sites with nice trees (said to be 37 years old), great electrical and everything painted, curbed, swept, etc.

We stayed here a few weeks ago and suffered from constant, heavy rainfall the second evening. Several Airstreamers and we were across a low-water crossing at the rear of the park, and the crossing was soon too deep and swift to cross. The owner monitored the situation from a vehicle until about 11:30 that night. We most of us went to sleep, but I was awakened several times by NOAA Weather Radio warnings of continued heavy rainfall, flooding, etc. At 0600 my wife brewed another pot of coffee and I stepped outside into a sheet of 5" deep fast-moving water that had inundated this end of the campground. The owner was back on station, and the Airstreamers and I were discussing hitching our rigs to move to, maybe, a barely higher point a few yards away. The only other way out was to scale a big-game fence at the operation behind us. Luckily for all, the final warning of continued rain (T-S Erin and Dean remnants) was unnecessary and things got back to normal.

The dirt work -- dozer work -- at this park was outstanding. A lesser job would have left us in worse straits. The low water crossing needed only a couple of tractor buckets of road base to make a perfect bridge, and we were all moved to another site.

We were here two nights and look forward to returning. I hope all of you someday have the chance to tour the Texas Hill Country. Make the Fredericksburg KOA your base of ops.

Located on US-290 a few miles east of Fredericksburg. Be sure to tour one of the top US Navy museums in the country there (home to Chester Nimitz, WWII CINCPAC).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #115
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Battle Mountain , Nevada
Send a message via Yahoo to mikeandbecky
KOA's

Anyone have any experience ( good or bad ) with the KOA in Dillon, Montana? We are planning a trip in October there.
mikeandbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:41 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I'm currently staying at the KOA in Lake Placid.

My only other KOA experiences were by the side of Interstates for overnights. Not the nicest campgrounds around, but they suited the purpose.

But this KOA is terrific - nicely wooded, great lodge, well-kept. Would recommend for sure.
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Hi, tonite I am at the KOA just inside Oklahoma on I-40 (from Arkansas) location is called "Sallisaw/Fort Smith West KOA". Very nice and pleasant. Owners have been here for 7 years and their hands-on attention shows. I would give it a "9" for peace & quite and just what I wanted.

Photo attached from tonite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	44354  
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #118
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Kansas City , Missouri
Our very first KOA we stayed at was the one in Polson, Montana on Flathead Lake. We loved it. Great views, friendly staff, mini-golf and playground for kids. Laundry okay. Showers were not great. I didn't like how they were situated near the main office corridor and they were unisex.
We had a great lot (#13) with a wood deck and a view of the lake.

visit my weblog at: watch and learn
lyrikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
We stayed at the Historic Route 66 KOA in Fenton, MO last weekend and was treated very well. Grounds were clean and the full hookups were nice...though expensive.

Steve
Old 09-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Spent last night at the KOA east of Durango, Colorado. The grounds are really nice-lots of pinon/cedar...mini golf, pool, nice(CLEAN) bathrooms, well-stocked store, good pet walk, secluded sites(ask for a hillsite, not the parking lot, although the parking lot was pretty nice, just a little close)...fairly quiet for a KOA, and no trains or planes! LOTS of those 'Kabins".
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote