Old 08-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Do KOA's stink?
Yes. But stink or not, if you need a place to stay, any port will do.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
Yes. But stink or not, if you need a place to stay, any port will do.
your willing to risk KBS?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
your willing to risk KBS?
Simple solution...arrive late...leave early...no KBS. hmmm what is that big thing that looks like a butt, and why is it following me?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Darts About...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
Simple solution...arrive late...leave early...no KBS. hmmm what is that big thing that looks like a butt, and why is it following me?
wolfie and dr B,

that would be a Lawn Dart (LDS), which are legal at any KOA along Route 66.

kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lawn datrs.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	42415  
Old 08-03-2007, 11:17 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
wolfie and dr B,

kevin
Whew! Glad it's not KBS. Better yet, I'm glad it's not the dreaded CHS (Corn Hole Syndrome) known to frequest certain AS rally sites...
Old 08-04-2007, 05:56 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
KOA Lake Placid

Just returned from Lacke Placid KOA (Wilmington, NY) and found it to be the best of the KOAs we've visited. Sites were spacious, well shaded with tall pines (sap to wash off on our return), river access and the closest thing to a state park you may be able to find in a KOA. State and national parks are still our favorites for privacy and the camping experience. We found Camden Hills State Park over on the Maine coast to be our favorite campsite of the trip this time out.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 08-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
wolfie and dr B,

kevin
I have a scar on my right knee where my sister planted a lawn dart in my leg from 20 yards...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Duck! Four! Run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler
I have a scar on my right knee where my sister planted a lawn dart in my leg from 20 yards...
mr bob,

you should see what i can do at 27 feet.

it's down right scary.

but i have stayed at one KOA, in Flagstaff AZ. met a 82 year old going cross country from santa monica california to new york on a 50cc motorcycle. come to find out after i met him (weeks later) that he is one of the most famous people on the planet, and i didn't know. thank goodness i got his MAC working on the wifi... or my name would be mud, instead of just muddled.

and the KOA was friendly, but the dive cowboy bar was a dive; so i had that workin for me...

kevin
Old 08-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #93
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
Just returned from Lacke Placid KOA (Wilmington, NY) and found it to be the best of the KOAs we've visited. Sites were spacious, well shaded with tall pines (sap to wash off on our return), river access and the closest thing to a state park you may be able to find in a KOA. State and national parks are still our favorites for privacy and the camping experience. We found Camden Hills State Park over on the Maine coast to be our favorite campsite of the trip this time out.
HAPPY TRAILS
Hey P&M, Camden SP, and that area of Maine are beautiful...glad you found it!

Bill
Old 08-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
If I remember right(and how would I know if I didn't...?), there is a very comfortable KOA in Van Horn, Texas...pool, mini golf, small restaurant/cafe, a relatively quiet atmosphere...out there it doesn't matter where the train is, it can be heard for miles...
There are a couple more KOA's on the !H 10 route that were clean, comfortable atmospheres reflecting the care of the owners...we've discovered our share of dogs, too-Texarkana, Mesa...
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Cincinnati , Ohio
KOA outside Dearborn, MI

Dave and I took our son Asa to the Henry Ford Museum last summer and stayed at a KOA about 10 minutes outside Dearborn. We'd heard unflattering things about KOAs but it was the closest place, so we decided to try it.

It was GREAT -- no pool, but a big swimming lake with a beach and walking path all the way around, very clean facilities, lots of trees. We had a full hook-up right at the edge of the lake. It wasn't huge, maybe 150 slots. Well-maintained, no litter issues, the maintenance folks even supplied us with a cordless screwdriver so I could hang something in the camper I bought at Ikea. I wish the main roads were paved, but we met some really nice folks and Asa made lots of friends; so much so that we extended our stay from 5 days to 7.

Pam

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Grouco Marx
daveandpamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #96

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Tonight make 2 nights in a row for KOA's and I agree they are typically clean and you do meet your neighbors. I just hope they don't snore because they are about 8' away in their camper

edit- and I just stepped it off, the bumper of Epiphany is 34' from the edge of the main road behind the campground
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
We are staying in the Brattleboro North KOA in Vermont right now.... through til Tuesday and I can't wait for Tuesday. We usually stay in state parks. This place feels like a circus to me. The playground area is right outside our bedroom window which is a pretty big drawback as far as noise goes.

There is a really beautiful farm market right next door which is nice and Brattleboro and Putney are great places to visit and hang out. We had been boondocking for a good long stint before we landed here so we were gunning for full hook ups and that is why we choose this place. The state parks in the area are almost all just primitive sites.

I guess it just depends on what kind of a scene you prefer for your stay... if you are highly social and don't mind tons of people, kids and dogs surrounding you at close range then KOA's may be a great choice for you. A lot of the people we see here in this park seem to really dig the social aspect of it. We are hermits... trolls! Lol! We like more privacy and seperation.

Someone above mentioned the Camden Hills RV park in Maine... we stayed there for a few weeks this summer as well and it was nice. Some of the spots are great and pretty private and the location gives easy access to the nearby towns. Make sure you try the coffee at Zoot! in Camden if you pass through. Good people... and great coffee there! It's such a cozy little town to visit.

Visit our travel blog "Full Hook Ups"
silverpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Bethany, We agree...Brattleboro KOA is busy. We only overnight there on the way somewhere else in New England like Camden Hills State Park or beyond. Even though Brattleboro is busy, we find it clean with well kept grass, trees and the like. As with most of the KOAs we've utilized, they're great overnight stops. Our favorites are level so you don't even have to unhitch, just hook/unhook to/from the shore utilities and off you go in the morning. HAPPY TRAILS