Old 06-26-2007, 05:50 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member
senoia , Georgia
ME too!

Originally Posted by LI Pets
I'm at Smithfield KOA in NC, exit 90 on rt95, nice place with pool, at these temps the pool was worth more than the site.
Hey! SO am I! Look through the trees at the dog park and you'll see me! I was the woman on the pink bycycle slowly riding around your Airstream last night. Not stalking, just checking out the camper! LOL! Nice AS, by the way!

77 VW bus, Daisy
katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Good Suggestions

Originally Posted by Mrs_RedSHED

My 2 cents: The reviews page is not all that easy to use. I've tried to look up campgrounds before and they are not easily found. They are grouped by region but not by state. There is not enough consistency in thread titles. I also considered adding a campground but couldn't figure out how to do that. I've had a similar problem with the rally list. When forum members add a title often they use only a region or campground name or rally title. Many of them are weekend outings and it would be sooo helpful to see in the link's title in what state the rally will be held. Would a person from Tennessee know that Casini is in California? Maybe/ Maybe not.

Oh pooh. It sounds like I'm grumping about the forums and I am not really trying to do that. I just think the reviews section is a fabulous idea that could use minor tweaking.

Andy R and the Mod Team,

Some good suggestions here. Anything we can do to make it more user friendly?

Randy and Pat Godfrey
Region 3 2nd VP, Newsletter Editor, Florida Unit
WBCCI# 7591 - AIR# 17017
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #73
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Yeah, I've tried adding reviews to the campground section and it's not intuitive on how to do it. I guess it gets easier if you use it more. All I remember is thinking it was limited to commercial vendors as it requires you to "Add a Product". It's also a real pain to even get to the divisions by region and even then "the West" is a big place!

I was a bit concerned when this thread popped up as I was just about to leave for the KOA in Winthrop. The KOA there has cabins in addition to the usual campsites and many of our group needed to take advantage of that.

All in all it is a pretty decent place. Yes it's a bit like a subdivision but it was neat and clean. The location is right on the river and very close to town. They have a decent little convenience store at the campground plus laundry and an internet connection. In addition they have a pool and showers. All in all I think it's best suited and was primarilly filled with families with kids. I mean, if you're a kid what's better than "camping" in a subdivision with a pool, playground, river, etc.

I'll try and write a review in the On the Road section which is where most of the campground write ups seem to end up. For what it's worth I was going back to Winthrop the next weekend for the mtn bike race and moved from the KOA up to our old standby; you can check out my review of Big Twin Lake Campground from last year. -Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Hello Everyone:

Well we are on our trip from NJ to Arizona and Utah stopping at Koa's all the way. Columbus OH East/Buckeye Lake was beautiful and very clean, no highway noise or view, owners are spending a lot of money on improvements although I think they can stop now -- great shade trees. Springfield MO also very nice, spacious clean sites with perhaps the cleanest bathroom I've ever seen -- there is a train nearby that does blow its whistle. Amarillo Tx -- nice but not like the first two. Smaller, clean, lots of train and highway noise -- can't see the highway but can hear it. Level clean sites, clean bathrooms and a nice pool. Albuquerque next will let you all know.
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #75
1 Rivet Member
2006 30' Classic S/O
Erie , Pennsylvania
Never had a problem with any KOA. Always a good place to park the trailer for night, but never a destination point for us.
totalstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #76
Rivet Master
2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
When in Albuquerque

From personal experience the Albuquerque North/Bernalillo KOA would be our preference. Of course if you're sticking to I-40 it would be a little bit out of the way. It is north on I-25 going towards Santa Fe.
4CU Charter Member
1981 Excella 280 Turbo Diesel Motorhome
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member
Freehold , New Jersey
OK arrived in Albuquerque Central/KOA directly off I-40. Nice pool --- clean restrooms --- but NOT as nice as the others when have been in this trip HOWEVER my site is nice. Most of this KOA is asphalt. I have 2 shade trees on either side of my trailer, just out the door we step onto pea gravel that we cover with our patio mat. Really not too bad. Yes u can hear the interstate traffic. Convienient to a friends house that we are visiting.

Silverback -- my wife read the description of the Albq North and it sounds really nice BUT we are visiting for one day then off to Sedona for 4 days.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:45 AM   #78
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
New Borockton , Alabama
Originally Posted by overlander63
Every KOA we have stayed at has been almost the same, from Florida to New York to Florida. Uniformly, well, uniform. Nothing great, but nothing bad, either. I have often referred to KOA's as McCampgrounds.
We think a like. McNothing or McPretty or McItwilldo
Randy 208-514-8950
Converters, Inverters, Monitors, EMS, Zamp Solar
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member
Freehold , New Jersey
Ok. We've been home for a few weeks (NJ to Arizona/Utah doing KOA's all the way). Flagstaff KOA was dusty with lots of happy kids (no pool) -- we were next to the playground which made my daughter happy. I would like to have seen a concrete pad or some gravel---the dirt was a real mess (duh). Glendale Utah KOA was a bit tight, some grass, one tree on the site. Their pool was across the road---not a good spot. Moab Utah----HOT and dusty. Had one good tree at the site for shade, pool was fine. Lawrence Kansas, very clean, nice pool, good sites. Thats it.

Overall I guess I would say that generally the KOA's were nothing special -- but they were fine. A destination in themselves? No. But ok to stay while visiting the local area. I saw a few campgrounds that looked nicer but MANY that looked much worse. I am definitely an Easterner -- I want grass and trees.

Now, the Airstream (2005 22' Safari with custom L-sofa/bed instead of fixed corner bed) towed beautiful. A bit slow over the Loveland Pass but I made it. Had one electrical problem (step/patio/bedroom lights are out).

I'll expand my campground experiences next trip. Anyone traveling to central NJ close to NY and Philly try Turkey Swamp Park in Freehold (bring extra long water hose to reach faucet and dump station only no sewar hook up). HUGE treed sites.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #80
Rivet Master
1972 Argosy 20
2007 Base Camp
Middletown , New Jersey
Originally Posted by DrPlay
I'll expand my campground experiences next trip. Anyone traveling to central NJ close to NY and Philly try Turkey Swamp Park in Freehold (bring extra long water hose to reach faucet and dump station only no sewar hook up). HUGE treed sites.
Thanks for reminding me... I'd forgotten all about Turkey Swamp! Liz and I used to camp at Allaire State Park a lot, but now we tend to head out to Pennsylvania more often than not. Did Cheesequake State Park 2 weeks ago, great big sites, lots of trees, no hook ups but a good dump station, and a 2AM drug bust 2 sites down... (long story).
Bob Fowler

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #81
1996 34' Classic
1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
Wife and I stayed at the KOA Natural Bridge VA last weekend (just off I-81) near Lexington VA.
VERY clean bathhouses, Moderate sized pool but very well maintained. Camp store was well equiped. Sites available for Tent, 20-30-50 amps depending on your need. Easy pull through sites. Reasonably level although gravel, not paved. Free WiFi (Stong Signal) Friendly staff. Great site seeing places nearby. Price was just a tad higher than we're used to paying but certainly not highway robbery. Had a BlueGrass band perform on Saturday nite (nice perk).
All in all, we're please enough that we'd go back.
2005 F-150 5.4L Supercab 4X4 (Betsy 3)
2008 Safari 27FB SE (Arvin as in RV'ing)
2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #82
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
On our way from Missouri to Montana for several trips, we've stayed at two KOA's that, as many of you say, were not "special," but they were fine for the quick overnights we needed. One, Sioux City, SD, has pull through sites, tall shade trees for almost the entire campground, friendliest staff, clean office/store area, and pool. We have also stayed at Sioux Falls, about 100 mi north, and it too is okay. We have stayed several times at Spearfish KOA. Again, okay for the quick overnight stay and friendly helpful staff. We'd not select one of these for an extended base for regional sightseeing perhaps, but we recommend them for acceptable overnighting on a road trip. Oh, another KOA we've stayed at on these trips west was at Devil's Tower, WY. We felt we were camping at the foot of the tower itself as it seemed to loom over our site. And as an added touch, the staff shows Encounter of the Third Kind nightly outdoors. Too cool Sites, other than the presence of the Tower, were average, dusty-grassy, some trees, and the Belle Fourche River runs around the perimeter. ~G
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #83
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Originally Posted by DEO
One we particularly liked was Fredricksburg KOA in Virgina (interesting there is one in Texas of the same name).
Hummm... I was just thinking the same thing about the one in Virginia!
Bill & Kim
34 Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #84
Rivet Master
2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
KOA Binging Syndrome or KBS...

KBS or otherwise known as KOA Binging Syndrome. Please i beg you to read the following:

One woman claims she gained over 100 pounds from eating while using the KOA campgrounds, but initially could not figure out why she was gaining the weight.

She says she found crumbs in her bed and other evidence of late-night binging in her Airstream. Initially, she blamed her children, who replied that she was eating the food. She says she thought they were lying.

After being confronted with a mountain of KOA receipts and a Bong, the woman admitted to having acquired KBS somewhere along route 66. In her own words "i may not be the sharpest pencil, but i got (deleted last portion of comment)".

So, i'd say, based on my experience, it's all good if your starting out thin; however if your over average, don't stay at a KOA; or stay at your own risk.

Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote