1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
That's affirmative

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats
I bet it's the one in California: Manchester Beach KOA

Cheers,
-jd.
Yes, it is in California..it's true, it is curvey coming through Boonville, but if you have a lot of time and patience and want to see beautiful Redwoods, this it the way!..we've come up on 1 and this route and both have advantages of scenic views..

Old 06-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
There's also a great KOA in Minnesota, maybe called Rochester. all sites are paved, with lots of green grass next to hwy 90..I think

Old 06-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Has anybody stayed at the KOA in Hagerstown, Maryland?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #60
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Interesting; the majority of posts indicated that KOA's are clean, well managed facilities for use when a quick stop over is needed. Many indicated they would not consider them "destinations".
We have never stayed at one, but will this summer at Niagara Falls. Hopefully it will be a good basecamp for sight seeing!

Bill
Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 PM   #61
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Last summer we stayed at the KOA in Lake Tahoe. Restrooms were clean as well as assigned space. Family owned. Nice people. At the bottom of HWY 50. Not cheap but nothing up there is (unless you want to boondock).

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:23 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Harper's Ferry, WV - Close to national park/heritage town, iffy showers, very nice folk w/pancake breakfast. Mix of wooded back-ins and open pull-throughs. GREAT Holloween event.

Mount Pleasant, SC (near Charleston) - Very nice showers/laundry. Nice pool. Flat, open sites.

Kissimmee, FL (near Orlando) - VERY nice...but expensive. Huge, manicured sites, VERY nice pool and hot tub.

Charlottesville, VA - very nice people, sites are somewhat uneven.

In general we've found county, state, and federal parks to be the only places that we would consider destinations in themselves - but KOAs have been a reasonable place to stay while we visit somewher else.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #63
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmiii
In general we've found county, state, and federal parks to be the only places that we would consider destinations in themselves - but KOAs have been a reasonable place to stay while we visit somewher else.
I agree, SP, NP, NF campgrounds are almost always beautiful, quiet, private.

As far as KOA's; Due to all the comments about cleanliness, maybe this post should be titled "KOA's Don't Stink"?
Old 06-24-2007, 01:42 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
"KOA's Don't Stink"

Hi, I started this thread because I stayed at some pretty sad or bad KOA's in the last couple of years. [I also stayed at some really nice KOA's too] I wanted your input and experiences with staying at various KOA's to find out if I just hit a few bad ones or if they were indeed going down hill. It seems that from what most of you said, most KOA's are still a decent place to camp. This thread was to get the forum member's opinions on KOA's and not meant to offend anyone. Thank You everyone for your input.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:15 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Clear as....?

Bob -

Thanks for the 'inside skinny' on the idea for the thread...

Often they (the thread "gist") are ..... ah.... well..... ya know..... clear as mud. Certainly, there is NEVER a lack of input, opinion and general '2 cents' that I!!!, and others contribute about even the most seemingly mundane things....

And since we all, are at heart, campers.... this is a topic that in thinking about it all, has garnered quite a bit less input than it would seem to deserve - here I mean the 'good' and 'bad' campground reviews. Maybe this is the 'thread bump' that can start that tidal wave that will assist everyone in better experiences when we do that elemental thing with our AirStreams - camp.

Well, everyone has ONE!!!! An opinion, that is. Naturally, this covers a LOT of ground and as suspected, it generates a lot more comment

All in all, I think that this has turned into a usefull thread.

Perhaps some of the 'reviews' with specific info on specific places (recent stays of course) could be pulled out and made into the 'recommended' stays thread that was discussed. Guess that the "STAY AWAY" reviews could serve equally as well, in their own location naturally. Mods?

Again, thanks for the insight on the thread inspiration.

Axel
SilverToy
Old 06-24-2007, 09:13 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Maiden voyage at KOA

Our 1st and 2nd trip was to the KOA Buckeye Lake Ohio. I must say that it was a great well kept campground. The kids really loved it, Now our 3rd trip was to the KOA Butler/Mohican,Ohio and I must say it was very sad. I will never go back. Well theres my 2 cents worth and a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st trip 003.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	39805  
Old 06-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
If everyone that has posted on this thread would take the time to put their review on the reviews tab at the top of the page, we would have a pretty good reference, sorted by area for all of us.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

KOA San Diego

I agree with the popular view that most are well run, clean and some are even a destination point. Just spent the weekend at the KOA in Chula Vista just south of downtown San Diego.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/HP_ADM~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/264.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #69
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I'm at Smithfield KOA in NC, exit 90 on rt95, nice place with pool, at these temps the pool was worth more than the site.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey
If everyone that has posted on this thread would take the time to put their review on the reviews tab at the top of the page, we would have a pretty good reference, sorted by area for all of us.

Randy
:

My 2 cents: The reviews page is not all that easy to use. I've tried to look up campgrounds before and they are not easily found. They are grouped by region but not by state. There is not enough consistency in thread titles. I also considered adding a campground but couldn't figure out how to do that. I've had a similar problem with the rally list. When forum members add a title often they use only a region or campground name or rally title. Many of them are weekend outings and it would be sooo helpful to see in the link's title in what state the rally will be held. Would a person from Tennessee know that Casini is in California? Maybe/ Maybe not.

Oh pooh. It sounds like I'm grumping about the forums and I am not really trying to do that. I just think the reviews section is a fabulous idea that could use minor tweaking.

Mrs_RedSHED