Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
On a trip 12 years ago from NJ to Montana we stayed exclusively at KOA's. Enjoyed them very much. Montana's were spacious and uncrowed. Another trip to CA and back the same -- especially enjoyed Albuequerque and Durango. Florida Keys KOA had sites packed one on top of the other. Tight campsites are my general problem with campgrounds to begin with. Once camped in the Williamsburg VA area (not a KOA) and neighbors awning was inches from road side of my trailer. Heading out west this summer NJ to Arizona and Utah doing KOA's all the way. Will let everyone know what i think.
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Exclamation No way...

One of the nicest looking but, Airstream unfriendly, is called Front Royal-Skyline Drive KOA. I pulled into this one with my 29' Airstream and, discovered that all the spaces were just too tightly spaced and small. (for what I could see) The road was single lane with no turning or backing up space.
The space assigned to me was such, that, in order to even park the unit I would had to pull forward in such a way that: The Suburban would have ended up pointing downward on a steep slope~!
I just drove back around to the check-out office and, got my money back.
Shame, it was a nice place and, the location to the local attractions was perfect.
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Unfortunately, the only koa I have visited was a bad one. I visited it as a deputy sheriff if that tells you anything.
I guess the following could apply to any campground, but its been my experience that there is sometimes a fine line between campground/resort and stereo-typical 'trailer park'. I've seen some that have full time residents, not the retired or family fun loving kind, but the redneck, out of work, walkin that fine line between 'yeee haaa' and 'I heard dat', kind. That just bothers me. Some will have a beautiful manicured entrance advertising fun and tranquility and once your inside....war zone. I'm talking "We put the fun in fundamental extremism" bumper sticker and all. I hope none of you have to experience that. I have seen many dishearted campers have to pack up and leave because of this behavior.
I don't agree with singling out koa. I agree with a previous poster in that they are hit or miss. I think that would apply to all campgrounds. Thats one of many reasons I like the forum, we take care of each other by reporting bad campgrounds.

If you are ever headed to the White County, Helen, Georgia area send me a pm and I'll make sure you steer clear of the bad places.

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I was thinking this on my first post but didn't say it, "KOA is the Motel 6 of Kampgrounds". We definitely prefer state parks, but first come, first serve doesn't meet the tight schedules of most of our road trips. Those are the destination spots. Also if you have a KOA card you get a few bucks off the price. Anybody been to the Las Vegas NM or Colorado Springs franchises?
-KL
Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
It varies by owner, most have been good. There is one in Santa Margarita, CA that is all dirt but near the lake and gets the top rating but I wouldn't stay in it. The rating system usually gives you a clue avout how nice they are but this one isn't up to snuff.
A couple of nice ones that we've returned to, are the one in Teton Villiage and the one in Nephi, Ut. The one in Nephi is about 5 miles off the highway and looks very unimpressive from the road, but once in the park, it is a beautiful little park and well run.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #26

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
After reading all the posts on this string, I am almost afaid to admit that Lucy camps at KOA's quite often. We are even KOA Gold Campers!

We have found most of the KOA's that we have stayed at to be very nice and well laid out. There were some that were just not as nice as others. This is what we have also found with other campgrounds. Some places are just nicer than others.

On our recent visit to Yellowstone National Park, we started off at Fishing Bridge Campground inside the park. It was pricey and really junky. After two days, we moved to the KOA in West Yellowstone, Montana. For a few buck more, it was really nice, and we stayed for four nights. Plus, we would rather give our money to the small businessman (the local KOA owner) than the giant corporation (Xanterra) that the Park Service has seen fit to franchise Park camping to.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
I was thinking this on my first post but didn't say it, "KOA is the Motel 6 of Kampgrounds". We definitely prefer state parks, but first come, first serve doesn't meet the tight schedules of most of our road trips. Those are the destination spots. Also if you have a KOA card you get a few bucks off the price. Anybody been to the Las Vegas NM or Colorado Springs franchises?
-KL
The one in Vegas switched from KOA to private. We stayed in it both KOA and private, it's a nice park.
Dave
Old 06-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Koa = Keep Out Airstream

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
One of the nicest looking but, Airstream unfriendly, is called Front Royal-Skyline Drive KOA. I pulled into this one with my 29' Airstream and, discovered that all the spaces were just too tightly spaced and small. (for what I could see) The road was single lane with no turning or backing up space.
The space assigned to me was such, that, in order to even park the unit I would had to pull forward in such a way that: The Suburban would have ended up pointing downward on a steep slope~!
I just drove back around to the check-out office and, got my money back.
Shame, it was a nice place and, the location to the local attractions was perfect.
Yep Vern I stayed there overnight with my 25 and wow, was it tight turns. Pretty though. Where you SHOULD go if you're in that neighborhood is Virginia Highland Haven an AIRSTREAM ONLY campground. It's about 50 miles away - south of Lynchburg, north of Floyd, VA. Beautiful, on top of a mountain and nestled between 4 wineries! Just for heavens sake when you get to Lynchburg get off the interstate and onto the Skyline drive (don't take 29 it'll eat your transmission.) See their website for directions. I may actually buy in there and keep the sparestream up there all summer.

Paula
Old 06-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We Have Found Some Very Nice KOAs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegan
I'm interested to know what you and others think of the ones along I-10 from San Diego to Key West. I am taking the kids to Disney World next June and thought the KOA system might be easier to book than the public(fed, county, state) campgrounds I have been using in California. Haven't been in a KOA in 20 years. Have they slipped that much?
Beginning in 1976, we found ourselves dragging a travel trailer from East Coast to New Mexico every year or two. For non-destination camping, when we just wanted to get in, get cleaned up, have a swim, and hit the road early; we found KOAs to most consistently offer clean, comfortable, safe parking.

Some KOAs actually became a destination in themselves. The KOA in Van Horn, Texas became the spot we headed for on trips west, because when we arrived there, we knew we were just one day from New Mexico.

The KOA in Silver City, NM is another jewel where we stayed for days at a time.

So, enjoy your trip west on I-10, and know that your kids will enjoy some KOAs more than others, but they will always look forward to taking a dip in the pool at the next one. You'll be happy knowing that they can safely have the run of the campground.

If you want natural beauty, detour north or south from Deming, NM. City of Rocks State Park to the north is a wonderful, quiet spot away from the Interstate, as is Rockhound State Park south of Deming. Both offer hiking trails and desert beauty during the day with awesome star gazing at night. Look for my reviews of other campgrounds on these forums.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #31
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
I stayed at the one in Seligman AZ also. I checked in after dark not realizing just how close to the train tracks we were. Spent a sleepless night listening to the trains go by...and I was wearing ear plugs. I think that's one of KOA's biggest drawbacks...they buy cheap real estate right next to major highways/train tracks etc. and are usually very noisy and not very scenic. I think KOA's are kind of in the "slightly better than nothing" category. If you find a nice one, it's rare.
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #32
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I have stayed in a whoping one. Somewhere in South Dakota off I-90. Spent one night on my way west. I could not find a Wal-mart or a truck stop. I was "not realy open" yet. I did not care. I was tired and park it plugged in and went to sleep. I did not even lower the jacks. I slept well that night. Not too near the highway not too near the train tracks. I looked at one near Mt Rushmore. They were not open either. I was barren and packed with spaces. I went down the road to a small family owned place. As a rule I avoid chains. Cookie cutter, and big business. I am more a mom and pop kind of place.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #33
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Like anything good there will sooner or later be a not so good experience. Over the past several years we have stayed at KOA's from the East Coast to the Rockies and the Blue Ridge to Canada and I don't ever recall an experience that would make me say, never again. We have seen some good ones and have seen some great ones and when ever the need arrises we will stay at a KOA.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi,

We have stayed at the KOA on I-75 at the wildwood exit several times. It is not the taj mahal, but the owners are very friendly and try very hard to keep it clean and well maintained. They are far enough away from the interstate to be quiet and close enough for easy access. The showers/bathrooms are clean, but older. They have a pool and gooney golf and plenty of room to ride bikes. There are some fuul timers there, but they are off to one side. 2 airstreams are there full time.

We have also stayed at one in Ga near Chatanooga, and had a very pleasant experience. It made a great home base to visit places in the mountains and we really enjoyed it.

I think it depends on the owners and how much they want to spend to keep it up.

Happy camping

Marie
Old 06-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
We've been at the KOA in Smithfield, N.C. for several weeks and I have to say it is wonderful! Very clean, freindly people and great amenities. My kids are having a blast here. It's a great place. I would recommend it to anyone. When we first came, they put us in a site with no shade, I aksed to be moved becuase our AC unit couldn't keep up. The side with no awning would get soo hot during the day, you couldn't touch it. They were happy to move us and even gave us a brand new plug because ours wouldn't fit. I can't say enough about this one. It's the first one I've stayed at but I would stay here again. The staf all live on site and take pride in their campground and are quick to run off any "bad campers" (noise, rude behavior at pool, etc ) It'll be easy to stay two more months. If you're ever near Smithfield, you should check it out!
katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Katkat, I love your signature line - Terry must be proud!

Another KOA that does a great job is in West Yellowstone. Plus it's a gorgeous area. We were there for several days 2 years ago.
Dave
Old 06-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #37
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not all KOAs suck

Whenever we make our yearly trip to Eureka Springs, or any other trip in that general direction, we stop at the KOA in Mount Pleasant, Texas. The friendliest folks you can imagine and a great and constantly improving campground. We stop there as many as 4 times a year and always look forward to the stop.

Most sites are shaded, each year, more sites have concrete pads, free cable, free coffee, etc. We never use the amusements after 325 miles of non-interstate towing, but we do walk the short distance to an Applebees (or several other restaurants that we have not tried).
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
For those with a long distance destination and would not prefer a Walmart or Rest Stop layover a highway-side an inexpensive (I did not say Cheap) RV campground is a reasonable choice. Pools are nice especially for the kids that are sandwiched in the back seat. But KOA can't be the only choice. Do campground guides have a section for such 'overnight' camping? In 1952 on my family's 'immigration' to California from Michigan via RTE 66 in a travel trailer "Trailer Parks" were plentiful. There were sections for permanent residents and a place usually at the front of the t-park for overnighters

Neil and Lynn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nash and trailer 1952.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	39230  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
There is a KOA here in Denham Springs, near Baton Rouge along I-12, which is fairly nice. It is clean and has a big pool which my kids like, and old trees which I like. Still not much planted between sites, though. My parents stay there quite often in their motor home when they come to see us. There is a huge Bass Pro Shop being built a stone's throw away which I am sure will be a big draw too when it is finished. My Aunt and Uncle used to work for KOA as "surprise inspectors" driving accross the west and popping in on KOAs to grade them for the company. Some got good grades, some not so good...
Old 06-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi,

Check the signs at the exits for campgrounds, I have seen many listed when driving, but the old addage, "You can't find one when you need it" applies here.

Some of them are very nice, and some only accept huge double slide out motorhomes!

The best thing is keep each other posted when a good or bad experience happens, and we will all hopefully, have good experiences.

Marie