Old 01-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #211
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Did KOA finally notice and ask (or demand) a change?

Gene
No - but several members have. The thread title has been reported more than once with some substantial concern that is was unfairly negative.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
The information is great...the title should actually be all-inclusive.

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #213
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
No - but several members have. The thread title has been reported more than once with some substantial concern that is was unfairly negative.
Thanks from me, too. The former prejudicial title irritated me, because my own experience is that KOAs are generally above-average campgrounds.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #214
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I agree: when I did the summary of the comments that I posted a while back, I noticed that by a wide margin, more were positive than were negative.

Fair is fair, after all.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #215
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Same experience here, the Hot Springs KOA is very nice and the 3 or 4 others we have stayed at were all average or better.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
After following this thread since it began, it does appear most comments are positive. Apparently there are a few KOA's that need help. Some complaints about nickel and diming, but that can be said of just as many non-KOA campgrounds. Our experience with KOA's has been about the same as everyone else's.

I can understand Bob's very bad experience at one as the reason he gave the original name to the thread. Fortunately, that hasn't been the experience elsewhere.

Gene
Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Good summary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
After following this thread since it began, it does appear most comments are positive. Apparently there are a few KOA's that need help. Some complaints about nickel and diming, but that can be said of just as many non-KOA campgrounds. Our experience with KOA's has been about the same as everyone else's.

I can understand Bob's very bad experience at one as the reason he gave the original name to the thread. Fortunately, that hasn't been the experience elsewhere.

Gene
Gene, I agree with your analysis, our experiences at KOA's in over twenty states was typical of the thread posters, some great, some OK, and a few just barely acceptable, but on an average, generally we could rely on a clean and safe place to spend the night. Several KOA's could easily be classified as an RV resort and some had xlnt locations for the local sightseeing. There was only one that we wouldn't return to, and that was more of a location issue than a lacking facility.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #218
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Edgewood , New Mexico
We've stayed in quite a few KOA's, although never as a destination. They are usually conveniently located and have clean restrooms. Some are better than others, but I usually know what I'm going to get. It's the same reason I stop for coffee at McDonalds when I'm on the road.

When I was a kid my parents would take us kids on long road trips. My dad never had a lot of money, but he and mom knew that time spent on driving vacations was important so us kids could see that there was more to the country than where we grew up in south Texas. To save money we'd usually stay in forest service campgrounds for just a couple dollars a night. Every third night or so we'd stop at a KOA so everyone could get a shower and swim in the pool. Whenever I see one of those KOA signs it brings back fond memories.

The only bad experience I can remember was very recent. We stayed at the KOA in Junction TX on our way down to Corpus Christi for Thanksgiving. I was so looking forward to a warm shower in the morning, but the sign on the door indicated that the water heater was broken and waiting for repairs. I won't ever stop there again. They should have a redundant system for such a basic necessity as hot water. The KOA in Kerville, where we stayed on the way back, is nice.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #219
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I haven't stayed at many KOAs - a few overnighters along I-95, and a couple weeks' worth a the KOA in Lake Placid. It seems to me that it's a hit and miss with respect to the condition of the park, it depends on the management.

Price can be a factor though. I was planning an upcoming trip for the Victoria Day weekend (May 15th - Canada) in Ontario's 1000 islands. The KOA there is $78/night for full hookups. I thought that was a bit steep. But they do offer lots of amenities that appeal to many campers, hence the steeper price tag. If 2 heated pools that are open during the evening and a 21 foot adult hot tub is your kind of thing, then you'd probably be happy to pay that sort of fee.

I'm not sure if I'm going to maintain my membership after it expires - I'm sitting on the fence.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #220
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
May I interject hear say? I hear that the KOA near me (6milesaway) is very well kept and quiet. We looked at staying at a KOA about 180 miles from our home this past summer, so we could visit friends. Like MACFRODGE we were completely turned off by the per night fees. $58 per night as compaired to a state park which was almost as nice for $22 per night.
The difference means alot when U are on a fixed income as we are and at that point having to deal wiff $4.00 a gallon fuel.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #221
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
I don't know if you have ever used the site rv park reviews? I have used it several times and it has always helped to pick out the nice sites and the nicer campgrounds.
Here is the link if you would like to see if there is anything that may help you in your travels. RV Park Reviews :: Home
Old 01-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #222
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
RVParkreviews.com is a wonderful resource

I agree that rvparkreviews.com is a great resource, how else do you find out that a campground has a train track next to it, with trains that run all night??

Like any public review site, you get great reviews, average reviews, and poor reviews, all for the same campground. You just need to weed out what you want.

I always check out the site before we book any campground.
Damon
Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
I don't know if you have ever used the site rv park reviews? I have used it several times and it has always helped to pick out the nice sites and the nicer campgrounds.
Here is the link if you would like to see if there is anything that may help you in your travels. RV Park Reviews :: Home
Good point. If it weren't for that site, I don't think I would have found the campground I ended up choosing for my long weekend getaway, all for a great $35/night for full hookups, waterfront to boot! Decent reviews of course.

Perhaps it won't be as komfortable and klean as a KOA, but then again, maybe it will be. And maybe it'll be a place where words are spelled correctly (korrectly?)...
Old 01-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #224
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We have stayed at some really nice KOAs and we have driven on after the drive through of some less than desirable KOAs. We use ratings books but we find our priorities and opinions vary from the reviewers. Still the books give a good amount of usable information. We don't generally make reservations in advance. We can tell best in person, we may have three choices selected to check out for longer stays.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote