Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #169
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
On the road , Everywhere
Sisters KAO

I was just checking out this thread and the original post was complaining about the Sisters KOA. We just stayed there last week, our first time staying at a KOA and it was quite nice. Not sure if it has new owners, but a lot of $$$ is being put into the place, completely fixing it up. Its still a work in progress, one of the bathrooms is closed as it is currently being rebuilt. While we were there they had at least 5 people in clean new yellow KOA shirts working the grounds, planting new trees/shrubs & grass. The area is quite beautiful and I expect by next year this will be a fantastic KOA --if that's your thing of course.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:08 AM   #170
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmerica View Post
I was just checking out this thread and the original post was complaining about the Sisters KOA. We just stayed there last week, our first time staying at a KOA and it was quite nice. Not sure if it has new owners, but a lot of $$$ is being put into the place, completely fixing it up. Its still a work in progress, one of the bathrooms is closed as it is currently being rebuilt. While we were there they had at least 5 people in clean new yellow KOA shirts working the grounds, planting new trees/shrubs & grass. The area is quite beautiful and I expect by next year this will be a fantastic KOA --if that's your thing of course.
Hi, that's good news to hear that they are fixing up the Sisters KOA. Last time we were there all of the buildings looked like they were falling apart, paint peeling, termites eating, no grass anywhere, and a few dead trees. [by a few dead trees, I mean that there were only a few trees there and they all looked like they were dead] The pool and the play ground, including the miniature golf areas looked like they were built 50 years ago and never touched since. That image didn't fit in with the rest of this little town which is pretty nice and we almost bought a new house there. Once again, I'm happy to hear that they are bringing this KOA up to parr and hope that the rest of the ageing KOA's are doing the same.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #171
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Hi all we just returned from our trip to mohican and stayed at a very nice, well kept koa there, family owned very friendly, helpful, full list of activities!! it was great. even our 15 yr old son thought it was cool!! we definately will go back!!they own one north of there in shelby, ohio also so we want to check out that as well, it earned an award for2008 for being one of the best !!
Old 08-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #172
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
We were put on the hill at the butler koa and I was not impressed with anything they had including there very short store hours, and very poor pull throughs (2007). also the new koa franchise in sandusky Oh. leaves alot to be desired. With all this said I have yet to stay at a better child friendy campground as the Koa Buckeye lake Oh. I have already made Res. for the Monster Ball Halloween event for the kids, It's wonderfull. Robert
Old 08-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #173
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
A note about the KOA in Bowling Green, KY. We stayed 2 nights on our way to MI from Alabama 4/1/07 not only because it was near the Corvette plant, which we wanted to tour, and Corvette museum, but it's a good stop over point. We arrived after dark and were surprised to find the park not at all well kept the next morning. Our only real need was to use the showers and since we were leaving the next morning the grounds didn't really matter. Not until we actually used the showers that is. The building was crummy & drains didn't work well. Soon, there I stood in rising water. Gross. The next morning Ike was told by staff that the other shower building had been re-done and was nice. A little lipstick (fresh paint) on another old and run down restroom and rising water in the shower again. Gross. Behind a bench out side was a sign leaning on the office wall - KOA Presidents Award. They must have stolen the sign or it was very old. On that MI - Alabama trip this year we stayed at Wally World coming & going. I'm not at all fond of "Wally World hair" the next morning but almost anything is better than that KOA. (bty - no one checked the bathrooms in the evening or even in morning for needs prior to cleaning in the late a.m.) Don't ask how I know. *4 thumbs down.

The KOA in Brattleboro, VT (10/02) was adequate and the restrooms and laundry were probably among the cleanest I've found.

Happy Camping,
sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #174
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
My apologies....

Eikel1we,
Being a Bowling Greener I apologize for the KOA not being up to standard. I hope you made sure the management knew you were displeased and made an attempt to correct the problems, unfortunately I doubt anything will be fixed too soon. BG is in real need of a quality campground. Barren River lake is near but not close enough for a quick stop off of the interstate. I would be more than happy to let the local Chamber of Commerce know the reputation BG is getting with campers. This is sad since BG is where Camping World began over 50 years ago. Be patient the Garvin's (founders of Camping World) are building a massive new camp ground just south of BG in Franklin.
If you get back through please feel free to stop in and we will be happy to put you up for the night.

63silver
Old 08-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #175
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
Eikel1we,
Being a Bowling Greener I apologize for the KOA not being up to standard. I hope you made sure the management knew you were displeased and made an attempt to correct the problems, unfortunately I doubt anything will be fixed too soon. BG is in real need of a quality campground. Barren River lake is near but not close enough for a quick stop off of the interstate. I would be more than happy to let the local Chamber of Commerce know the reputation BG is getting with campers. This is sad since BG is where Camping World began over 50 years ago. Be patient the Garvin's (founders of Camping World) are building a massive new camp ground just south of BG in Franklin.
If you get back through please feel free to stop in and we will be happy to put you up for the night.

63silver

63silver,

Thank you for your nice reply. No, we didn't bother to report to management, we just wanted to get going. It was clear that no one aroound there really cared - not even the campers since it was pretty much full. When we drove out two women in KOA yellow shirts looked at us and didn't even wave good-bye. We probably should have contacted the KOA headquarters. Maybe we're spoiled because Michigan has so many nice places to camp and lots of water to enjoy. Do come for a visit some time - you'll like it!!

It sounds like the new campground will be really nice. Thanks a bunch for your kind offer of overnite parking!

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #176
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Hello All,

I am currently sitting in the Ely Nevada KOA as we journey West to East along Route 50. So far a beautiful trip and whoever said there was nothing to see on Route 50 in Nevada has no appreciation for the history of our great country. We don't normally stay at KOA's but have found the Ely KOA to be very nice. Great staff, plenty of full hookups, an enclosed dog walk area, several irrigated grassy areas, clean showers/toilets, inexpensive laundry facilities and plenty of shade. We were going to make this a quick overnight but there was so much to see and do in the area we extended the stay. If you visit Ely don't miss a ride on the Northern Nevada excursion train and a tour of the maintenance shops.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #177
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
Staying at a KOA is like staying at a Holiday INN. Same, safe experience. The quality does seem to vary but not substantially. The best one we've been to is in Springfield, IL. Far from the Interstate (thought we got lost on the way there) and nice sized lots.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #178
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Great KOA!

We just stopped again at the Hixton/Alma Center KOA in Wisconsin last night. It is one of the best kept, appealing campgrounds we've found! Tons of flowers, even a new flower bed where you can sit and listen to the birds. Also they are expanding the grounds to include great, level sites on the hillside where you can look out over the valley but still be buffered by the hillside! Nice Folks and great level sites, "full bar" WIFI, cable, etc. Good playground.

Tonight we're in the Madison, WI KOA which is nice with level sites, WiFi etc. but it's not a destination stop. Sure can't beat it for an overnight right off the Interstate, tho'!

Just our 2-cents!

Edee & Phil
Old 10-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #179
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
We've hit some crummy KOAs, but all of them have had great showers, laundry,most w/ wi-fi & clean 30 amp service.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
We're staying at the Santa Fe NM KOA, and it's a smaller, cozier location. Nice spot in the hills and pines, friendly staff, well-maintained facilities, and far enough off I-25 that the freeway noise is minimal. If we could just shake the cold rain, it'd be just about right.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:08 PM   #181
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
I've been in two KOA campgrounds this year.

Astoria / Warrenton Oregon KOA is either very nice, or very dismal depending upon your spot. We reserved a 'deluxe' spot, and it was exactly that. Huge space, great trees, and great access to everything. We stayed almost a week, and were happy as can be. That said, the nightly fee was just about $80.00

The same KOA's 'regular' spots however are very bleak. In a big field, no trees to speak of, one trailer right on top of the next, and noisy. I'm not sure what the nightly rate is for these spots, but there are many, many more of them.

We also drove through the Ellensburg Washington KOA, and would not stay there. A convienient, and quite beautiful location, but it looked to us as if maintenince was the last thing from the owners minds.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #182
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I thought I'd post our experiences at the KOAs we stayed at on our trip West. All were adequate and clean, though the one in Tucumcari, NM was no what I would expect from one. It wasn't so much a single thing, but cumulative little things, that caused me to be displeased with it. First, and I think they were within their right to do so though I didn't like it, they wanted to charge us for another campsite if we wanted to plug in the B van so the fridge didn't run the house battery dead overnight. So we didn't plug it in, and sure enough, the battery was dead the next morning. Good thing I removed the perishables from it before we turned in the night before. Then, the manager didn't seem to know what sites he had that would handle the length of our rig (just the truck and Bertha), and insisted on dragging me all over the campground on a golf cart before I firmly informed him the very first one was fine, and please return me to my truck, or I would get out and walk. They also wanted to charge extra for Sophie (our 20 # dog), but (I think) they decided not to. At least, I didn't see the extra charge on our bill, though there was an additional "hotel/motel tax" on it.
The one in Arkansas was clean and well-run, and relatively wuiet, even though I could throw a rock and hit passing trucks on the Interstate.
The one in Flagstaff was clean and pleasant, though cramped. It seems to be one of the very first KOAs built, and the spaces were small, and the electric was marginal, with a dump station (no sewer on the site).
The one in Victorville is no longer a KOA, so I don't know if I should count it, but it was a typical KOA, near the Interstate, etc. It was not bad, but was also kind of tight-feeling.