Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Smile Kissimmee Prairie Preserve

Only 3 hrs from FTL we camped there from 12/23 - 12/27. It is a destination for astronomers as it is not lit at night and far enough away from ambient light sources. The last sizable open prairie left in Fl, encompassing 50k acres and surrounded by more undeveloped land. Empty as it was due to the holiday and maybe the weather as it was cold and windy at times. Two nights down to 30 degrees had to run the furnace turned off the heat pump at 40. Tranquility is the key word. We saw wild turkeys and a collection of different spices of birds. I think the deer population was hunkered down due to the cold. The heat pump works well until the temp drops and if it is windy the ductwork of the furnace acts to counter the effect of draftiness at the floor level. I dont know how one could live in the AS during severe cold weather. I would be motivated to find adequate permanent housing! Or if I was a close relative to Frodo it might work out, I guess. Anyway besides the few worker campers and 2 mishugana cyclists in tents there was 2 ladies, 2 small brown furry dogs in an 07 Bambi. They reported to being warm and cozy,... and with just a ceramic heater going. It sure beats an RV resort with its permanents and street lights beaming into your AS. Sewer by tote. The Bambi only has a 20gl blk/gray combined, that might be a problem. A max stay of 2 wks is a good idea. Mr. Wally's invention looks like a fuselage and probably is supposed to move like one, rollin, rollin, rollin, keep those doggies movin, AIRSTREAMING. I usually dont plan long enough ahead to find a place in these state parks especially down these parts in snow bird season so I was pleased to have been able to book. It is not all roughin it either as we were right across from an excellent bathroom with great showers and a washer/dryer. No heat so have someone you know keep the seat warm. The truth is I was trying to book hoping I would not be successful. You see my daughter-in-law was expecting any day and to leave town, well that might not be too smart. So things did work out as we were packing to leave to go to our final destination, The Army Corps South St. Lucie Locks Campground. Do you believe it! They only have like 10 spaces and I was able to find 2 days there! Well we cancelled on the way there as my daughter-in-law gave birth to a brand new 10lb/7oz baby boy. Peculiar in that he looked like he had already reached puberty and needed a shave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1080566.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	571.4 KB
ID:	118211   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1080542.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	118212  

chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Congrats on the new addition to the family and thanks for pointing us the way to a couple of new spots.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Make sure you have enough fuel

I forgot to mention the closet gas station is 30 miles away as the nearest Walmart is 34 miles away I believe in Sebring. No ATVs allowed no where to go just explore the immediate surroundings by bike or by foot. Once you are there your there, thats it. I know there are plenty of areas outside FL that are more remote but what makes this place so unique is that it is still so close but still so far enough away in a crowded state.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1080533.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	118216  
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
from my understanding... the way to keep the drafts to a min under the trailer is to skirt it... great info & beautiful pics!
aluminomad is offline   Reply With Quote