Old 05-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #113
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybags
Don't know if this is the place...but speaking of "black water". Last month in Page,AZ at the RV park...a rental pulled in next to us and....well, by now you've all probably seen the movie "RV". The 2 young couples confidentally whipped out their stinky slinky for the hook up and jerked open the cap on the MOHO only to be greeted by....you guessed it...the dreaded "back water"!!!! Seems the rental agency never told them about the shut off to the tanks, (it was in the open position)and the outlet pipe had a full load that immediately emptied on these 2 poor sods. The best I could offer was a pair of rubber gloves and a couple cold ones after they cleaned up.
I guess life does imitate art after all....
Cheers, Jeff
I'm just glad I was standing uphill from hose connector when it came apart. Those poor folks. I think I would have spent an hour in the bath house shower trying to get that washed off.

I did tell my wife that, unfortunately, our $#!+ really does stink!

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #114
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
So I'm wondering if a conversation was had between Susan and Kirk today monday 14 May 2007.Guess I'll just sit tight.
And for all you folks that can not get **** off your brain switch to a sewer solution setup, ditch the stinkey slinkey. DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #115
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Tic toc tic toc, junk yard dog water bowl empty, may have to leave the porch for a bit

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #116
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Haven't heard a thing....

No phone call, no email. Maybe they are going to send a snail mail apology?? At this point it seems like typical bureaucratic say whatever and hope it blows over. The bottom line now is that we can't get a nice evening on the beach and a morning stroll on the beach back. And all the discussions about totes etc. has got me thinking about trying to figure out if there's a way to divert the grey water to the black tank so we never have to worry about that again.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #117
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
You should have said .....

I was in a college fraternity many moons ago and we had traveled to Biloxi, Miss. for a rush party to be held on Ship Island.

We drove down from Jackson on a Friday night and rented 1 motel room. We stuffed about 20 guys in that one room. The next morning the manager told one of our group that we would have to check out.

He told the manager in a loud voice in front of other guests: We've been kicked out of a lot better places than this!!!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #118
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Yeah, guess I need to just consider this what a neighbor of mine calls an AFGE
(pronounced af-gee) Another Freaking Growth Experience

In this case I guess it's recognizing the that there's probably going to be a lot more uptight reactions, uninformed reactions to the blueboy tote and, just as I couldn't explain to that pinhead camground "host" that it contained the grey water, I probably won't be able to educate anyone else whose mind is made up and thinks older trailers=white trash campers who poop in a bucket.

Sooo, guess it's time to use the nearly useless search function and see if there's a way to use the black water tank to hold both black and grey.

and
Old 05-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady

In this case I guess it's recognizing the that there's probably going to be a lot more uptight reactions, uninformed reactions to the blueboy tote and, just as I couldn't explain to that pinhead camground "host" that it contained the grey water, I probably won't be able to educate anyone else whose mind is made up and thinks older trailers=white trash campers who poop in a bucket.

Sooo, guess it's time to use the nearly useless search function and see if there's a way to use the black water tank to hold both black and grey.
On my former 69 Globetrotter you capped the discharge and left the dump valve open and the gray water backed up into the tank, gray black whatever. Check and see where your gray water discharge pipe connects, if most likely is between the tank valve and the hose connection.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:

I thought that grey water goes into the one tank by default. Doesn't all of your waste water empty into your holding tank?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Mine works the same as Jim C's globetrotter, (if you have to)- cap off the black tank pipe, open the black-tank valve and the grey will back-fill your black tank. My tank is small, so I wouldn't do this unless really necessary.

And don't forget to put a bucket underneath (after you've closed the black valve) to catch the left-overs (yum).... before going on to connect your stinky slinky!

Incidently, my mom mentioned seeing a new guy (host at Sea Cliff), rather militant, takes his job too seriously, hounded her friend for his parking with-out paying (he usually gets away with a "dropping something off- will be leaving story")... She also says, these hosts don't stay long.....

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #122
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Ok, let me see if I can figure this out. Waaayyy back when I was a really raw newbie, I didn't even know that my trailer didn't have a gray tank. My ex-husband and I had a '76 Layton, and I just ass umed the Airstream did too. When water started coming up out of the shower I figured that there was some sort of a clog in the shower since the trailer sat for 7 years before I bought it. I just couldn't figure out where the water went until a great Forums member, Chuck, drew me a picture. I'm sticking it in below.

So, Sequoia and Jim, what you're saying is that just by opening the dump valve for the black tank will back the gray water up into the black tank before it backs up into the other pipe and up through the shower drain? I modified Chuck's drawing with red labels just to clarify what I think you're telling me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71dump.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	37403   Click image for larger version

Name:	71dump_2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	37404  

and
Old 05-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Haven't heard a thing....
"No phone call, no email. Maybe they are going to send a snail mail apology?? At this point it seems like typical bureaucratic say whatever and hope it blows over."

I haven't ether... Maybe they sent my email into their dynamic port hole!
As I mentioned in a earlier thread, the state department's don't like to be criticized by other public agencies.
A phone call will be a little harder to toss out
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
I know....Their apologies go into a big blue tote that they deliver to the campground "host" at Seacliff to use toilet paper in his righteously self contained SOB.

and
Old 05-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
A similar thread on this topic:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ump-28269.html
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #126
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Ok, let me see if I can figure this out. Waaayyy back when I was a really raw newbie, I didn't even know that my trailer didn't have a gray tank. My ex-husband and I had a '76 Layton, and I just ass umed the Airstream did too. When water started coming up out of the shower I figured that there was some sort of a clog in the shower since the trailer sat for 7 years before I bought it. I just couldn't figure out where the water went until a great Forums member, Chuck, drew me a picture. I'm sticking it in below.

So, Sequoia and Jim, what you're saying is that just by opening the dump valve for the black tank will back the gray water up into the black tank before it backs up into the other pipe and up through the shower drain? I modified Chuck's drawing with red labels just to clarify what I think you're telling me.
You can have a grey tank added without too much financial terror. I added one to my 1971 TradeWind, and it was wonderful. You can give the grey tank it;s own dump valve if plumbing modifications are too complicated.
Just run the grey feed pipes into the tank near teh top, and you shoul dbe good to go. I recommend a qualified RV service center for the installation.
If you get 30gal grey capacity, then you're well on your way. It's nice to have a quick shower after a long days drive and not worry about the grey water. Backfilling the black water tank must be a vry unpleasant experience, since the undesirables will undoubtedly reside between teh dump valve and the hose connection....surfacing suddenly when you take off the cap.