Old 05-12-2007, 03:13 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Eliz,
By all means hold off. One week will give you more time to make an informed decision, not an emotional one. Go to the vintage show, talk to folks, figure out what the potential problems are, what they are worth, etc. That is probably your best source of info at this juncture, good timing!

There are some potential problems with older Airstreams that need investigating. If you don't have the knowledge or ability to do a good inspection, there are folks here on the forums who have volunteered to inspect as a favor to those who live close to them.
If you want to spend some time digging through info here, do a search for floor rot, tail droop, axle replacement, leaks and more.

I'm not trying to steer you away from a vintage trailer - I own one myself. I just want you to be informed as to price, potential problems, etc.
Good luck,
Dave

Old 05-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #100
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
grey tank water contains virtually every microbe that is in the black tank...

coliforms, viruses, parasites, protzoa and so on, just more dilute.

it also contains undigested food matter, grease, fats, human skin and blood and bodily fluids, hair, soaps, detergents, household cleaners and so on...

in many ways grey water is a much bigger issue than black tank water.

cheers
2air'
This is why I routed our kitchen sink waste water into the black tank. The stuff that comes out of the galley is the same stuff that comes out of us, without the benefit of digestion.
The bathroom sink and tub water still go in the blue tote, if any spills it is less lethal.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #101
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Hey Susan....

Gee, I musta been slacking off on the job monitoring the forum these last few days, cuz i did not see this thread til this morning....

I was glued to my monitor screen!! Unbelievable!! And some of these responses....(hehe) just too funny!!!

I loved the line about the warheads in the 'kini top and the family from hell...(u didn't get a license # on that moho didja???)

Glad to hear you have the Safari all done and functioning.....

The only thing we haven't seen yet now are some pix......

BTW, thanks again for the drapes......they look great in my Safari, and fit the bill to a "T" right now for me.

Have a great weekend....

Scott

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #102
Elizabeth

Currently Looking...
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Hi Eliz,
By all means hold off. One week will give you more time to make an informed decision, not an emotional one. Go to the vintage show, talk to folks, figure out what the potential problems are, what they are worth, etc. That is probably your best source of info at this juncture, good timing!

There are some potential problems with older Airstreams that need investigating. If you don't have the knowledge or ability to do a good inspection, there are folks here on the forums who have volunteered to inspect as a favor to those who live close to them.
If you want to spend some time digging through info here, do a search for floor rot, tail droop, axle replacement, leaks and more.

I'm not trying to steer you away from a vintage trailer - I own one myself. I just want you to be informed as to price, potential problems, etc.
Good luck,
Dave
Dear Dave,
With the cold light of morning . . .I am thinking more clearly and the hot aluminum fever of last night has broken, thankfully. I do need to take it slowly, especially if I hook myself up to a vintage AS. I am not in need of a remodeling project, and there were terrible problems with the cutie that I fell in love with yesterday. In fact, I am embarrassed to list all of her liabilities, but the lack of a heater figured at the top of the list, since I love traveling in Alaska! SIGH. That's why it is called "love" and not like, it had nothing to do with reason. I will go to the big vintage show next weekend and try to get a more balanced perspective.
Thanks,
Eliz.
P.S. All of the problems that you listed seem to be problems that I am going through.(tail droop, floor rot, needing axle replacment, leaks, and more)Have you met me before, or are you just extreamly perceptive about women of a certain age?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
P.S. All of the problems that you listed seem to be problems that I am going through.(tail droop, floor rot, needing axle replacment, leaks, and more)Have you met me before, or are you just extreamly perceptive about women of a certain age?
Oh man - I've been married long enough to know that answering that last paragraph could get me in trouble either way...on the other hand, like with trailers, most of that stuff is repairable!!
I ain't going no further.

As to the first paragraph, you made a great decision to slow down and make a cool headed evaluation of your wants and needs. I know how difficult that is once you get your heart set on something. karma.
Dave
Old 05-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #104
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Still sniffing

The junk yard dog is still sniffin around, what gives with you hijackers anyway , start another thread, go camping at seacliff or do something exciting.
BIG D little o G

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:16 PM   #105
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Contact info forwarded

I just sent off a email to Mr. Lingenfelter with B H L ( Susan ) contact info. I am interested to hear from B H L after she speaks with him. So hopefully others will not have to be put thru this ridiculous scenario. And I have a few more questions about how much authority a host actually has and can enforce. DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #106
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Sorry for what may be a dumb question.... The blue boys...I thought some people used them to dump their black tank into then drive it to the dump behind their TV so they don't have to move the trailer. Am I wrong? Could those people have been trying to dump the poo and paper from their black tank into the toilets? Also we used to have a Coleman pop-up with a very handy cartridge toilet from which you could remove the cartridge then carry it to a dump or handy potty to dump. If you were careless with it you could make a mess. Though, just so you know, we never did create messes with ours.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #107

That is about as Bad as it gets in my opinion.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #108
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
This weekend we camped in a KOA campground. When I opened the black tank valve to empty it this morning, the juncture between two sections of the sewer hose separated and spilt some of the black tank contents on the ground. I poured some "Digest-it" on the affluent soaked ground and popped open one of the chemical packs and sprinkled the orange powder on the wet ground and then sprayed a little water on the orange powder to get it down into the wet ground. Don't know if I did enough or even the right thing. What would any of you have done?

Anyway, the pertinence to this thread? It just goes to show you that even modern, self-contained trailers can leave their mark on the camp site.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:40 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
At work we sometimes get involved in code enforcement for leaking septic systems, etc. Once we had a Moho (SOB!) dump his black tank along the road - yes he was caught.
We generally use chlorine granules and spread them over the spilled mess. This seems to be accepted practice in the "code enforcement" world.
Not that we carry granulated chlorine around with us.....
Dave
Old 05-14-2007, 03:56 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
California State Parks

Blu Hwy Lady - Sorry to hear about the way you were treated at Seacliff.
Hope your experience does not sour how you feel about CA State Parks in general.
We just had a wonderful experience dry camping at San Elijo State Beach Park, CA.
See my thread with photos and commentary at:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...-29471-11.html starting with post #149.

Cheers,
SilverGate
Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #111
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
At work we sometimes get involved in code enforcement for leaking septic systems, etc. Once we had a Moho (SOB!) dump his black tank along the road - yes he was caught.
We generally use chlorine granules and spread them over the spilled mess. This seems to be accepted practice in the "code enforcement" world.
Not that we carry granulated chlorine around with us.....
Dave
Thanks, I'll have to take some from the pool and put them in a small airtight container in case this ever happens again. Hopefully it won't. The folks in the site behind us were out on their picnic table were eating breakfast...it was a short breakfast. They had been so nice when we were setting up. Our site was pretty unlevel and we used all of our Linx-leveler blocks under the wheels and the rear road side stabilizer wouldn't reach the ground and they loaned us some pressure treated boards to use. Then that had to happen. Not to nice of a thank you!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #112
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
black water

Don't know if this is the place...but speaking of "black water". Last month in Page,AZ at the RV park...a rental pulled in next to us and....well, by now you've all probably seen the movie "RV". The 2 young couples confidentally whipped out their stinky slinky for the hook up and jerked open the cap on the MOHO only to be greeted by....you guessed it...the dreaded "back water"!!!! Seems the rental agency never told them about the shut off to the tanks, (it was in the open position)and the outlet pipe had a full load that immediately emptied on these 2 poor sods. The best I could offer was a pair of rubber gloves and a couple cold ones after they cleaned up.
I guess life does imitate art after all....
Cheers, Jeff

Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote