Old 05-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #71
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Is that really Barney Fife?

We could all make reservations on some big weekend and cancel just in time for refund.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
That would be cool- but the reservations are nearly impossible, and the area Blue was kicked out of is "overflow", which is first come, first serve. My mom shows up before opening, waits in a line and usually gets a spot. It would be fun to show up before opening, in a huge posse, and all put out multiple blue boys!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #73
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Ball Rolling

I just got off the tele with the Santa Cruz Dist. I was informed the man to speak with is a Mr. Kirk Lingenfelter. I spoke with a lady in his office , expressed my concerns and indicated that I was enroute to try to see Ms. Coleman. I felt the person I spoke with was attentive and concerned. I was referred to Kirks voicemail and left a brief and concise message including my name and tele #. I'm not letting this go away, hey sequoi can your mom get a few pics of this host and his place so we can all see what he looks like?

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #74
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
I'm inclined to side with DG... pull off a half mile down the road... "recon" the hosts camp and see that his next day or two will be as miserable as he needed to make an innocent camper. Nothing felonious... just irritating... no valve stems in the tires? peanut butter in the locks? okay - i'm feeling much better now

Anyone ever read that email that circulated about the couple that stashed shrimp tails in the curtain rods of their newly-sold home?

How about a stinking dead fish in an inconspicuous place under the SOB's SOB frame

Peeeeewwww!

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

squrlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #75
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
I'm glad the fence is not between me and all of y'all...at least on this one.
Good to see such stick togetherness.
I think we could start our own war...
"Operation Blackwater"
Shock and Eeeewwww
Old 05-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
"Operation Blackwater"
Shock and Eeeewwww
!!! That is just plain flat funny. Warped but funny.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Thanks for the support!

The support from the AirForums community over this has been very gratifying and I appreciate the outrage and action because I hope maybe it will initiate some changes. I am also very touched by the California people who are outraged that a representative of their state would treat us the way we were treated. I love California, particularly the beaches, but also the deserts and mountains. Besides the rally, camping on the beach was going to be...quite literally... the high point for me of our trip. (Bill, growing up in a coastal state, doesn't have the same ocean obsession as I do.) We only had two days set aside for ocean camping and that jerk wrecked one of them. Where we ended up after being kicked out of Seacliff--Sunset-- was supposed to have beach access, but it was inland behind some forested dune thing. We got there late, the ocean was not visible and, most disappointing, not audible. Hey, when you live in the desert a visit to the ocean is a very big deal. Fortunately, the first day at Wright's beach was glorious. But then, it was an older campground with small sites that would exclude anything much bigger than our 23 footer. And I think that's the real issue here: Old vs. new. Big vs. modest. As somebody else pointed out, with all the rolling mansions those of us who prefer a more simple experience are getting squeezed out by what amounts to a kind of bizarro economic discrimination. Because, really that's what it boils down to. There seems to be this emerging--dare I use the word "class"-- of folks with money who seem to want to claim RVing exclusively for those of a certain means. Those of us who don't qualify are relegated to sort of RV ghettos when we can't find out of the way state parks.

Besides the experience at Seacliff, we had two other kind of bizarre experiences in California. After Seacliff we decided to seek out some of the more out of the way places where our "kind" might be more welcome. We planned on stopping at Chimney Rock, a free BLM site in the desert but were forced off 395 when the highway was closed because of wind so we ended up in camping hell #1, an "overniters welcome" trailer park in Ridgecrest. We were parked next to what looked like to me a new giant Winnebago. The next morning as we were preparing to leave, Jupiter our puppy, attracted the attention of the couple in the Winnebago and we struck up a conversation. They too had been "stranded" in the park and we were commisserating on how we were fortunate to just be able to find a place to get out of the wind. The woman said something that I found almost unbelievable: "At least we didn't have to lie about the age of our rig to get to park here."
Huh?
She went on to explain that the kind of places they usually stay don't accept RVs older than 10 years and theirs is older. Their rig was pristine. Tasteful, gender-neutral swoosh graphics adorning the outside, glistening SOB exterior. I was aghast. I said. "but it's brand new, isn't it?"

"No." And then, like she was confiding a sin, "it's 15 years old but it's my husband's baby and he really likes to keep it up."

The next incident happened in Parker on the Nevada/California border. Bill had been through there 10 years ago and said there was a nice BLM campground on the Colorado river. We get to Parker in the late afternoon and discover that the BLM campground is closed. In fact, it's being completely demolished. What is available are a number of BLM "cooperative management" recreation areas. It seems that the modest little BLM parks are replaced with these elaborate "destination" camping--jeez can it even be called camping?-- parks. Guess the BLM has decided that old fashion camping just doesn't make money so they "cooperate" with private entities to create these parks. So, we picked one: hellhole #2. MegaSOBs and MoHos packed in like sardine cans with everything set up for the living large experience. Our little silver twinkie looked hopelessly out of place. Fortunately, on one side was a weekend rental...sort of a FEMA trailer for the get-away crowd. On the other side, a couple in their 30s that had all the appearance of being well-heeled L.A. drug dealers in a gargantuan gold multi-slideout MoHo. She with mulitple prison-grade tatoos and plastic tits the size of cruise missles hanging out of her American flag bikini top. He, strutting around like a Chippendale dancer with no shirt and DaisyDuke cut-offs. Their kids a bunch of loud, obnoxious pre-teens, sitting on a sleek speed boat blarring hip-hop and tied up on the beach 20 feet from our trailer. So, we ended up sitting inside with the AC turned up to drown out the music.

Well, I guess it was all yin and yang for Casini and Wright's beach. Guess we'll be spending more time in mountains of New MExico, Utah and Montana where your rig isn't "carded" for appropriate "facilities" and age. Too bad. Camping in places financed by tax dollars should be for everybody--especially by the ocean.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #78
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
I'm glad the fence is not between me and all of y'all...at least on this one.
Good to see such stick togetherness.
I think we could start our own war...
"Operation Blackwater"
Shock and Eeeewwww
Yea, remind me not to get on you all's $#!+ list.

I like the fish in the frame idea. Maybe you could stuff it behind the fold up step or maybe way in the back of his slinky storage bin...after all, you know his stuff don't stink!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #79
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Good writing BHL, Im laughing more and more as I read.
The Cruse Missles...whew...I'm crying
Old 05-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #80
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
This thread just gets better and better. Fear not, we have campgrounds like you're describing on this side of the country, but they are generally the privatly owned ones. WHat a trip y'all had, good, bad and ugly all in one week.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Blu Hwy Lady wrote "...We get to Parker in the late afternoon and discover that the BLM campground is closed."

The one that is closed is being completely rebuilt and I understand is scheduled to reopen next year.

In the meantime There's La Paz County RV Park and 2 Arizone State park campgrounds. That's in addition to the BLM cooperatives and several totally private RV Parks.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
According to our Trailer Life 2006 Useless Guide to RVing, the Parker BLM place was supposed to reopen in 2005, so that seemed safe. After all it is 2007. From the looks of it nothing is being done and has not been done to it in some time. Also, between the Useless Trailer Life book and the UseLess Guide to California and Oregon RVing, it's really hard to figure out where to go, especially when it's getting late and Plan A didn't work out. We don't like to plan our trips like military manuevers down to the 00 hour because we travel the Blue Highways and there is cool stuff to see. We found on our big 5500 mile trip through Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Washington and Oregon that it wasn't much of a problem to find great affordable places to camp just by looking at the MapQuest road atlas and heading for the green triangles. In California, however, it proved much more problematic. I guess 'cuz California is such a great place.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #83
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2nd contact

My second call was at 9am pacific to the "Friends of Santa Cruz State Parks". I spoke with Cynthia, I told her of the lack of "talent" of the host. I also mentioned that this host was acting , as I see it , as a representative of the State Of Ca as well as her organization. She was typing down everything I said and when I mentioned I was enroute to Sacramento to speak with Ruth Coleman the director of The State Park System she asked if I would hold off until I spoke with Mr. Kirk Lingenfelter. I agreed as I believe that this is his watch and He needed first wack at it. I mentioned the airforums.com site with 20,000 members and the wording about how the beach was nice but the host was a knerd. She was apalled to hear that a National Camping book was whizzin on Seacliff.I briefly described our rally format and told her of our outing a few weeks ago that attracted approx 40 Airstream Trailers. She thought we had a pretty cool thing going on. about 12 minutes on the tele. She indicated she would relay the message further up.

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 05-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #84
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
3rd contact

I was having lunch with my darling daughter when my phone rang. It was Mr. Lingenfelter returning my call. He sounded like a concerned fellow , I asked if I could call him back in about an hour after my lunch date was over, No problem he said how about I call you. That was fine with me. Had a great lunch with my girl then headed off to the Airstream dealer to apply for my Wanderlust book. D(little o)G

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )