Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #41
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
oh yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
FW,

FWIW, peanut butter in the locks is 'kid stuff'. Next time, try CRAZY GLUE !! . As the old expression goes......'a little dab'll do ya!'

Sorry, must be my lethal side showing................................
Lethal would be 671 grains of diplomacy! I like the little blue tote with matching clean up towel. Wow Mods are lettin loose today! I like a hot thread, red hot yowza.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Correct me if I'm wrong...

If the rule book he quoted state that "all camping units must be fully self-contained", then go back there and have him thrown out for having hook-ups to sewer, electricity and water. Fully self contained, would mean not requiring hook-ups, right?
If he really wants to enforce these rules to the letter of the "law", as he did with you and your vintage unit, then he would have to un-hook and leave the campground as well...better bring doorgunner to help enforce the "rule book" which the campground "host" (and I use that term loosely) is so eager to follow.

Ok, I'm done ranting.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Wow Mods are lettin loose today! I like a hot thread, red hot yowza.
This one pushed my vintage button!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #44
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Research

I've been looking at the state park web site for ca. I looked at the site for seacliff. found out that there is a group called " Friends of Santa Cruz State Parks" Friends of Santa Cruz State Parks. I'm calling them tomorrow to put in my opinion. Seems as speaking with them would get more activity than contacting the state. Yup I'm on it. and it's only 127.5 miles from me tho there according to mapquest. How bout others calling or contacting them thru their web site. DG

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 05-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Blu Hwy lady,

Ya'll need to leave there and come to Georgia. Great camp grounds from the Atlantic Coast to the North Georgia Mountians. Friendly people and good times. Just don't tell the "peckerwoods" where you went to, we wouldn't want them to follow you and spoil what we have.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Vintage / new Airstreams

Hi, What a jerk; Let me at him!

I don't understand this ten year thing; My trailer, that we bought new in September 2004, and plan to use for twenty years or more, God willing; Might only have seven and one half years left. So my once brand new, but not vintage, trailer will be too old to use in some campgrounds?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler
Well... That sounded like a fun time.
I normally just let everything dump into the one tank if I'm only out for a day or two. Just need to be a little more careful hooking up the sewer hose.
Once again this topic begs for a pinned thread on campgrounds that refuse entry or make life for vintage owners difficult, if not impossble to use. Seems like every year there are 2 or 3 posts about some place with arbitrary "rules" on age, condition, length, ect.
There is a campground heading on the left side of the page which highlights the better sites. How about one that warns of "unfriendly" campgrounds? Maybe just a line or two from the offended party telling of their experience.

Just a thought, Tom.
Yeah....for just one night you could combine into one tank. Then in the morning as you pull out the tank mysteriously leaves a trail.......no I would have to be very angry to stoop that low. But you know....nah.

I think you will run into jerks wherever you go. When this thread winds down a print out should be sent to our Govenator. I am serious.

Neil and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Very sad experience... we used to have great state parks... just like great national parks. But now one never sees a real "Ranger" type who actually works for the government... they are either "hosts" who are looking for a free stay themselves, or some outsourced company running the show... where are my tax dollars going???

How about starting a new thread just to list lousy experience places? We have vintage...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi
Traveling in S Tardis
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #49
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
I'll save you the trouble

The phone # for the friends place is 831-429-1840. I would urge others to also check out their mission statement on their web site I mentioned earlier. I'm one of the few that uses the Ca. state park system at no cost due to some prior military experiences. Most of the time I manage to get my piece heard. If you pick up your blue tank and divert everything into the black tank what's the problem? Yup I'm still wound up about this crap. And this junk yard dog gets off the porch and still hunts. DG
on edit- The Ranger types never seem to have a hard time finding me,

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 05-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Seacliff "Rules" and regs

I'm gratified that this thread has generated so much outrage and interest because I think it's an important topic for all vintage owners. I scanned the rules and regs thingy that they gave us that I happened to us as a bookmark in the useless camping guide after we got kicked out. Funny thing is, we never read it because the person who took our money wrote our campsite number on the back of it and we put it on our dash--as instructed. If the JPEG is not legible, and you're interested, PM me and I'll email it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seacliff.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	37185  
Old 05-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #51
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
before I embarass myself on the tele tomorrow, what was the exact reason you were ousted? or would a better understanding of the systems be something every "host" should know? I'm into not telling anyone anything, yes and no answers.

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 05-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimemet
Leaving July 1st fo points west on the way to Vancouver Island. Can you take the AS on the ferries?
I'm actually sailing over tomorrow! You'll have no problem on BC Ferries to Vancouver Island. Summers are incredibly busy, so if you can, I'd recommend phoning a few days in advance and booking a reservation. If you sail on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, this probably won't be necessary, but Thursdays through Sundays get crazy busy in the summer.

Here is a link to their website for more information:

BC Ferries: WELCOME ABOARD BC FERRIES

If I can help you with any questions you might have, please feel free to ask!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #53
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
what a great idea send this 4 " pilgrim on a ferry boat one way to the "great white north"

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 05-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #54
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Wow. That was just awful. I haven't been that shocked by a state park experience since I went to the ranger talk at Morro Bay State Park and the ranger showed up in a full body otter suit and loudly asked if we wanted to pet the otter fur. I kid you not.

(Thought I'd add a little levity here. So sorry you had to do the whiskey tango foxtrot experience with that pin head. Most CA state parks are pretty nice. I'll make a point to stop by that campground and say hello to the host for you...but I won't stay...I'll just leave him a nice gift.)
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #55
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Hey! it said "a sealed effluient tank". you have one of those. YOur black tank. It did not say all of the tanks had to be attached. We should probably send them something four inches long and stinky.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Yikes! Too bad about the Seacliff experience. I've never seen the Moderators so worked up! We've camped in many California State Parks over the years and have found that most campground hosts are friendly and helpful. Unfortunately you found a bad egg. This guy should be reported and if he doesn't straighten up and fly right should be given the boot.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #57
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Report the puke

after reading the rules our friends WERE IN COMPLIANCE. To report complaints go to info@parks.ca.gov that from the state website or the District office for Santa Cruz tele 831-335-6318. How to stop a good time on vacation! Luckily the travelers were able to continue forward and thats a good thing.I'll post my findings tomorrow nite, DG

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 05-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #58
_

. , .
sorry to read about your experience bh'lady..

but thanks for sharing it.

some folks have no business hosting and some campgrounds are sorely used and abused and in hi profile locations...

perhaps a bit of both in this story...

it would appear the actual reason for eviction was the blue tote...

i've seen other urban/high use campgrounds that forbid external tanks,

while some locations will allow them but only if 'completely sealed' systems....

as i recall oregon state parks include some wording to the effect of 'sealed' systems only if using a blue tote...even to the point of all gases contained, no venting of any fumes...

a completely separtate issue is the older unit limitation....

this rule (10 years or more) in some flavor is used more often each season at campgrounds nationwide.

as mega class a mohos continue to occupy more of the rv camping experience.

somewhat like the 'approved breed' dog list many cgs are now using...

i'm always surprized the old a/s owners/buyer never mention this to prospective new buyers of old units...

20-40 year old units (shiny or not) cannot just camp anywhere....

we overly read about "a 34 is too long for camping in yadda yadda" by folks who own shorter units...while actual 34 owners may know of 2-3 places they cannot go, and don't.

it would seem ALL vintage trailer owners and potential buyers need to become aware of this issue.

i've camped in many parks with that rule and when contacted in advance about the issue,
they usually ask "what do you have?" when the reply is an airstream, only once or twice has the follow up been "what year?"

and more commonly they just say "oh you're fine come on and visit."

it seems ultimately they want to limit school bus conversions and ragged class Cs and poorly maintained sobs with more duct tape than siding...

cheers
2air'

also keep in mind that general area of kali is a whole nother world now....

we used to boondock on the pacific beaches for free or camp in the bank and school and church parking lots without any issues...

those days are so gone....

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #59
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Kick butt

AS far as I'm concerned if the State Of California issues you tags for a trailer or any other damn state and you drive on the roads then you should NEVER be denied assess to a STATE PARK, private property different story. Yup I still wound up time to
Attached Images

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 05-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I have to agree with Neil and Lynn, write a complaint to the governor. Be sure to include the exact date, time, and place to ensure the "proper" host is identified. A complaint to the governor will have to pass down through 3 or 4 managers before it gets to the host and each of them will demand an explanation. Include as much information as possible and add quotes of statements if you can. Ask for specific answers to specific questions. This will get results.

I can say this with some authority from my experiences working over 30 years for Oregon State Parks. Even the ridiculous and unfounded complaints were a real headache to deal with, and unlike employees (if there really are any) it is very easy to fire a host.

Don't let this host get away with this. In Oregon a host's reputation precedes him to the next job. He may find no more hosting positions available.

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote