Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Water, no matter what color, only flows downhill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
<snip>what you're saying is that just by opening the dump valve for the black tank will back the gray water up into the black tank before it backs up into the other pipe and up through the shower drain?
Depends on the year/model...some older trailers have their black tanks above the floor, others have them below. The greywater will back up and come out at the lowest opportunity. If your tank is above the floor and your shower drain is lower, the greywater will back-up into your shower. If your tank is below the floor like in our '64 GT it will back-up into the tank.

However, there is still the "little problem" with the 2-cups or so of remnants that are trapped between the black tank valve & the cap that will escape when the cap is removed.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Ok, let me see if I can figure this out. Waaayyy back when I was a really raw newbie, I didn't even know that my trailer didn't have a gray tank. My ex-husband and I had a '76 Layton, and I just ass umed the Airstream did too. When water started coming up out of the shower I figured that there was some sort of a clog in the shower since the trailer sat for 7 years before I bought it. I just couldn't figure out where the water went until a great Forums member, Chuck, drew me a picture. I'm sticking it in below.

So, Sequoia and Jim, what you're saying is that just by opening the dump valve for the black tank will back the gray water up into the black tank before it backs up into the other pipe and up through the shower drain? I modified Chuck's drawing with red labels just to clarify what I think you're telling me.
Close but no cigar. The tank needs to go under the floor, I don't know about your model but on a 68 the tank is under the floor which makes the tub drain above the tank. It is very easy to check take of your drain cap, close your dump vale and look in the pipe you should see the grey water drains coming in the side down stream from the closed dump valve. Some areas let you dump gray water so I would use a cap on the dump pipe with a hose connection and leave the dump valve closed and let the gray water drain to the ground or use the blue boy while using the black tank for well black water, doing this you do not fill up your black water tank with grey water. Get your flashlight and check out your plumbing connections. The dump valve should be horizontal not vertical. Keep in mind we are talking about 2 different models well really 3 if you include the SOB.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #129
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
I'm nearly certain that my black water tank is right under the toilet above the floor plane. the grey water tank is below but will back up into the shower which makes me believe that if the grey water tank was full and you pulled the valve on the black water tank along with the grey water tank and the drain cap were on, the black water would comingle with the grey water and partially back up into the shower. Yuck!

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #130
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
OK, here's my 2 cents worth.....and I'm the guy driving the TV. This freelance Nazi campground "host" told me to tell Susan "the last person to dump water on the ground went to jail". I told him "you have a nice day, sir", and we left. We were followed down the road by a park ranger pickup truck all the way to the area KOA (and they really did want 75 bucks for a campsite).....for 75 bucks we could have stayed in a motel and got some change back. As far as Sunset Beach is concerned, sand outside the bathroom does not a beach make, although at only 25 bucks for a place to park (no hookups)......such a deal.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #131
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
That's right....together we make a full brain for memory recall. I forgot about the "go to jail comment" and the Park Ranger tailing us. That was another interesting aspect. Like we were going to go covertly dump gray water somewhere.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #132
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Dang... Strange place for reminants of the Gestapo to pop up... the sunny beaches of California. I had thought that they were all living in Venezuela.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #133
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
Dang... Strange place for reminants of the Gestapo to pop up... the sunny beaches of California. I had thought that they were all living in Venezuela.
They're actually all in Uraguay.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
They're actually all in Uraguay.
Actually they are Motorcycle cops. Have you noticed the similarity of the boots?

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #135
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
That's right....together we make a full brain for memory recall. I forgot about the "go to jail comment" and the Park Ranger tailing us. That was another interesting aspect. Like we were going to go covertly dump gray water somewhere.
Is this something you can actually get arrested for in California? Does the state of California really have enough employees in the criminal justice system to actually turn something like this into an offence that requires a jailer, bail bondsman, attorney, judge, etc, etc? I can hear it now….

Mass murderer: “Hey buddy, whatcha in for?”
Airstreamer: “Well, uh, I got caught letting my RV take a whiz on government property.”
Mass murderer: “Know what, I think we’re gonna get to be real good friends.”

I lived in Monterey for a year waaaaay back in the '70's. That area is certainly beautiful place. But I’d sure hate run afoul of the law out there.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Is this something you can actually get arrested for in California? Does the state of California really have enough employees in the criminal justice system to actually turn something like this into an offence that requires a jailer, bail bondsman, attorney, judge, etc, etc? I can hear it now….

Mass murderer: “Hey buddy, whatcha in for?”
Airstreamer: “Well, uh, I got caught letting my RV take a whiz on government property.”
Mass murderer: “Know what, I think we’re gonna get to be real good friends.”
Sounds like the Arlo Guthrie song...Alice's Restaurant.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #137
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
It is pretty ridiculous to contemplate...jail time for the 'stream taking a leak. As for the Alice's Restaurant, I can see an Airstream version:

And there was Camp Host Gestapo with his 8 x 10 glossy photographs of the crime. A picture of the corner of our bumper being 4 inches over the white line--the first thing that marked us as troublemakers, the picture of the blue tote, ready to receive that toxic waste gray water that would require Hazmat clean-up. That right there was evidence enough to send the Park Ranger after us for surveillance in case we were to try to set up that tote somewhere else....

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #138
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
This from the group "W" bench

Well we was standing at the top of this 15 foot cliff
and at the bottom of this cliff was this pile of garbage
Well we deceided that one big pile was better than 2 small piles
and rather than bring that one up we deceided to throw ours down

I say " Son have you rehabilitated yourself?I mean have you rehabilitated yourself?

Actually I think "Officer Ray" by Hoyt Axton is more fitting.
DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #139
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Colfax , California
Before you unleash DG, with whom I hope to rally with again . . .

Years ago a letter over-ruled a host on my behalf. Writing a formal letter of complaint to the park administrator . . . after it's been embellished and/or endorsed by the Forum . . . will likely pull the host's coveted "free stay" pass. Civil service pukes are scared to death of any kind of complaint.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #140
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintn
.......Civil service pukes are scared to death of any kind of complaint.
Normally I would completely agree with this sentiment, but Ranger what's-his-name, that DG contacted the other day, apparently hasn't bothered to keep his word and call BHL (unless I missed it somewhere in the thread).

Just my opinion, but I'd like to let DG loose on the state folks in Sacramento. You know how Marines love to land on things.

A more sane to way to say it is that this is a right and wrong issue. BHL got nailed by an agent of the California government who was acting way outside his authority. SOMEBODY (in the government) needs to step up here and do the right thing. There is absolutely no reason for the government to push TAX PAYERS around over issues like this.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote